Motorway Drivers | FerrariChat

Motorway Drivers

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by D11VE:J, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004
    Do you get annoyed when you drive on the motorway and some idiot is in the 3rd lane pottering along at 65mph when the two lanes inside him are completly empty and you are forced to cross over 3 lanes to pass him.

What should we do about it? form an action group or what?

Ideas on how to counter motorway poodlers please.

Post photos if you have them to warn others.

D11VE:J

2. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    You are the worst bugger for it!

3. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
  4. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

jerry jerry jerry :D

5. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    oh, dont get me started on this!

Without a doubt, this is my BIGGEST pet hate.

*breathe in....1...2...3... and oooout....*

6. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    What he said above!!!

I have done a lot of motorway miles recently and the standard of driving is utter tripe, so many MLMs, people hogging the outside lane, speeding up when you try and pass them, foglights in the sunshine, tailgating, lack of indication.......

.......... and breathe

7. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    IMO..

People should be made to resit their driving test every 2/3 years... With failure resulting in a 1 month ban.... This in itself would make people read the high way code and actively try to improve their driving style.

This way the goverment could ditch all the speed cameras allowing us to put our foots down again. They would recoup any lost revenues by charging £30 for the driving tests (plus lessons if people fail)!!! With approx 20 million drivers this would equate to billions every two years...

It has to be the way forward..

Thoughts?

8. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    as far as I understand it in the States you can drive in any lane and go faster. So, if some plonker is in the middle or third lane then simply undertake. I know its illegal here and people have said its dangerous but surely if mirrors are used properly then OK. I wonder if the States have more or less accidents on freeways caused by undertaking?
    BTW I find it bl**dy infuriating too!

9. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Just undertake them that really pi**es them off!

To be honest, I think a lot of it is down to status anxiety and wanting to live "life in the fast lane". About a week back I caught this guy up hogging the fast lane in a 330D. I followed for a while, the middle lane was empty so I started to undertake, he looked in his mirror and jumped into the middle lane. The slow lane then came free, I entered that and he moved across again, then I jumped back to the middle, he tried to follow but by then I was accelerating hard and got through in the fast lane. ha ha what a d++kh__D.

10. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    I drove across the USA on the 2003 Gumball.
    IMHO The yanks drive far worse the us on the highway. The worst thing is the big trucks (HGV Type) over there can do 80 MPH in the outside lane.

11. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    The original reason why "under-taking" was illegal was that few cars had n/s mirrors,hence blindspots, but as they have been compulsory since 1984, isn't the law long overdue for an overhaul? Anyway, who forgot to tell all the motorists on the M25 about this law?

12. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I had the same situation this evening.

A1M heading North past the M25 and some donkey in a big 4x4 hugging the fast lane with at least 3-400m of clear road in front.

Swung into the slow lane a couple of times to give him a hint that i wanted to overtake and then decided bollocks.

Undertoke and just when i started to pass him he puts his indicator on and attempts to pull into me.

Now i know i'm wrong but WHAT AN ARSEHOLE!

I think the European style of driving of leaving your indicator on and flashing them works well. Whats wrong with that? Or is it too aggressive for some people.

Oh man, i so deleted half the crap i REALLY wanted to post.

For those i offend.

Get in the slow lane, its my license and my money.

NOTE: Great post D11VE:J

13. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    IT WAS HIM!!!

Dave J drove up tp the midlands this evening in his X5!!!!

14. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Re all of the above, don't do it in Gwent when I'm working because it grinds the sh#t out of me too!! Before too long the Govt are bringing out a fixed penalty notice for "minor" due cares. £60 fine and 2 points. Roll on I say. I know people go on about the way they have been spoken to by police on occasions but honestly, if you were in a position to b#ll#ck people for rubbish driving, wouldn't you give them what for? Sometimes I get back in the patrol car thinking perhaps I shouldn't have told them off quite so graphically but sod it, they are supposed to be able to drive to a standard and frankly, they can't. So when you drive badly in front me, expect both barrels or a ticket. It's one or t'other with me :eek:)

Babylon

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    I just pass them on the inside give them the fingers can i get done for that if there is nothing else on the road

16. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Yep upto a ban

17. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

hope you start stopping people doing 30mph on a motorway and 30 mph in 60 zones ...then ordinary motorists wouldnt undertake

18. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

but no...not getting at you....but the police are trying to slow us down more...even though the bloody highway code is so out of date re breaking distances etc that it should be valued on the antiques roadshow.....and dont deny it....i have been out with many traffic cops with the IAM who have said its out of date..........sorry if its harsh but we'll be back in horse and cart before long ....even then we'll get done if the treads low on their hooves

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i thought a 360f1 was a horse and cart

20. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

thats why you still drive that scrapper of yours mate

21. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    thats slander you calling me MATE

22. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

sue me MATE :D lol

23. Welshman

Welshman Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Worcestershire

Since you're based in Gwent perhaps you can enlighten me as to what is the justification for the proliferation of scamera vans on the A449 between Newport and Monmouth. Is this meant to be a dangerous stretch of road or am I being merely cynical in seeing this as an easy tax raising job?

24. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    You tell him mate, I hate coppers.

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name: