Looking for a 328 GTS black/black | FerrariChat

Looking for a 328 GTS black/black

Discussion in '308/328' started by MJT328GTS, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    First post. After reading many different posts on this car and its pros / cons, what to look for when buying one, etc., I'd like to thank all of you who posted your thoughts on this subject. They have helped me tremendously!

I'm looking for a 1986 - 1988 328 GTS black/black or red/black in very good condition (it will be my weekend car that I will baby for a long time). As long as there are records and history on it, I'll consider it regardless of milage. This would be my first Ferrari (I've wanted one since college). Now that I can afford one, It's been difficult locating one that is in the condition I'd like (2nd year searching).

Like most people, I would prefer not paying inflated dealer prices and would rather talk with a private seller. As mentioned by a poster, I checked out CollectorCarTraderOnline.com and it has one car I'm going to check out, but if anyone knows of someone looking to sell, or another classified website that is a good source for buying this particular model, please let me know.

Thank you all!

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    1987 black/black at Ferrari of Denver. Looks pretty good. Derek from FoD posts here so he may chime in on it.

Best of luck with your search. I know the feeling - two years for me to find a 1989 black/black.

3. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I have a black on black 88 GTS with all documents, has like 33K miles on it.
    I was thinking about a 12 cylinder car. What price range are you looking to spend on a Ferrari.

4. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    I'm looking between the upper 30's to mid 40's. Most of what I have seen on this site, as well as some online classifieds, that appears to be the going rate for an '86 - '88.

How much are you asking for?

5. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT

Thanks Mule. I appreciate the suggestion. I'll check out Ferrari of Denver. I was hoping to find something on the East Coast, but sometimes you have to expand your search.

Part of my trouble last year was that I looked exclusively at Dealers, not even considering private sales. This forum really opened my eyes to other possibilites and sites for this vehicle.

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    You may want to talk to Randy at Motor Cars International. They took in someones Ferrari collection. One of the vehicles is an 89 black/black 328 GTS. Car has low miles and is pristine. It is currently not advertised as they are taking their time getting all the cars up to sale quality.

7. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I was thinking low 40's. If you want to see the car or documents I can take pictures them an send them to you. I live on the east coast, I would suggest seeing the car for yourself before you buy one unless you absolutely trust someone. If your interested we could probably use private mail. I looked for a while trying to find one. From past experiece I can offer this, cars look great in pictures, but its good to see them live to form an opinion. Nothing substitutes for 2 hour test drive, and having PPI.
    I know I'll probably regret buying a 12 cylinder car, but I want a Testarossa.
    my 328 has functioned flawlessly, seem like the TRs have more maintenance issues.

8. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    Tamf328,
    I agree with you. I would never buy a car sight unseen no matter who it was from. Thanks for the advise. Of the cars I have seen in the past, the pictures they sent me looked great, but when I saw the car live, I was severely dissapointed.

Low 40's for a 1988 black / black with 33K miles interests me. I'd like to talk to you further about this. Please email me at [email protected]. If you have any pictures / documents / VIN number to perform a CARFAX report, send them along.

Thanks.

9. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    slm,
    I've never heard of Motor Cars International, but I'll check them out. Thank you very much for your help with my search!

10. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
  11. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT

slm,
    Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it for future reference. However, $74K for a 328?? Little out of my price range. I'll look for one with a few more miles that's priced under the stratosphere.

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Keep up the search, you will be rewarded. When I bought mine, it had 40K miles and was in the mid-40's shipped to my door with new tires. Ferrari of San Fran gave me a great deal.

I just finished its third major and it is like new. The previous owner took very good care of it. I am the second owner. See my profile pic.

$74K is too high, even for a perfect car. But, the price is what the market will allow, and someone may pay that. You can trade miles for dollars, and on a 328 it wont be bad to have a few miles on it. Like I said, I am going to cross 50K miles this month and it runs like new.