355 shocks on 348? | FerrariChat

355 shocks on 348?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by plugzit, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Anybody know if 355 (front) shocks will work on a 348?

2. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    great question... if they are i wonder if it will change the ride ?? im curious too

3. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Hi Bruce! Why did you buy 355 shocks, only because they were cheap on ebay ? :)
    The 355 shocks you will be receiving from me are for the electronically controlled adjusting system the 355 has, I don't think the 348 has that. At the end of the hollow piston rod there is an adjusting crown, were the electric actuator motor fits. You can turn this crown by hand and feel the different stifness of the shock (I tried this). If you can physically fit the shocks to a 348, you will have to lock the adjusting crown in its position someway, otherwise it will go out of your selected adjustment, at least I think so.

4. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Just call me partswhore. Sounds like an interesting challenge-maybe I can fabricate an adjustment mechanism so I can do it from the cockpit-it couldn't be rocket science (hopefully). If I succeed, I'll post it.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    If the 355 shocks are turned buy hand at the top of the shock, does the adjustment stay set? Or do they wind or unwind by them selfs? I have the Spax adjustable in mind where they are manualy set by turning the top of the shock just like the 355s, but of course the 355 has little motors.
    I cant see why the 355 shocks would move from a position of adjustment if manualy set. I my self always keep the 355 on sports settig and never use soft, so if the 355 shocks do fit the 348 and the the adustment can be set manualy.....

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    The knob on top of the shock turns without resistance and there are no "clickable" positions, so I would think due to vibrations while driving it could turn by itself. But indeed it is no rocket science to fabricate something that fits the crowned knob to hold it in its position.