Hill Eng. shift gate lock | FerrariChat

Hill Eng. shift gate lock

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ron328, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Stupid question but here goes: I just ordered one. Whenever my car is parked (at home or anywhere outside), I leave it in 1st gear. With the lock, it is suppose to be on reverse. I've never parked it in reverse gear. Does it matter?

2. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Short answer, no.
    Just remember, you're in reverse when pulling out...

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    The lock will work either way, however the school of thought is if a thief hot wires the ignition that he can only make the get-a-way in reverse vs being stuck in first gear...

Nice little lock BTW...

4. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
  5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have one and I pick 1st or R based on where I am and how I park

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I don't think it was ever established that it was a Hill Engineering lock. There are some "knock-off" locks of similar design but possibly using inferior locks.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Even if it did have a Hill lock I would not blame them. If a flatbed was used NOTHING was going to stop them from getting that car.
    For what it costs, the shift lock is IMO the best protection you can buy. It takes 3 seconds, if you are slow, to put it on. Easy easy easy.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's an interesting problem: when I used Hill's lock on the OEM shift gate, it fit nice and snug when I locked it.

But I just installed one of Hill's own "slick shift gates" and now when I turn the key to lock it, the fit is quite loose and it would be easy to stick a screwdriver blade under the lock and pry it off.

Considering that Hill made both the lock and the gate, it amazes me that they would make the fit so loose. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a way to alter the gate lock so that it fits tighter on the gate when engaged?

9. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Jim,

Under the lock tab you will find a crinkle washer that can be removed.

If we did not put the crinkle washer on in the first place the gate locks sometimes do not fit the stock OEM gates - I have seen variation of up to 0.5mm on the thickness of the stock gates, which makes it almost impossible to make a gate lock that will be snug on every gate.

Hope this helps,

Paul

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've got both the gate and lock from Paul (long but good story that's been told a few times here!) and the lock is VERY snug!

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Okay, I'll try that. Thanks for the response and thanks for making quality products!

I haven't driven the car yet with the new shift gate, but I have to believe it will be an improvement. (Sometimes when downshifting from 4th to 3rd, I find 5th instead; this should help.)

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'm sure Paul's gate lock is top quality (as is everything he does), but the term "knock offs" suggests that folks took Paul's idea and made their own versions. FYI, Paul wasn't first with the concept... I got my gate lock from Charles DeGroat at ItalianCarParts.com several YEARS before Paul started offering them. I'm still using it.

13. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    But on the other hand - I just bought one and the locking tab is too big to fit through the gate slot. I thought the slots were all the same size or is there a different lock for different cars? Its a 512 TR.