Car buggered | FerrariChat

Car buggered

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Spyder-Man, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Guy's me 355 (Borsch 2.7) won't start and I've been all over the electrics like a nasty rash. The good news was that it dicided to break down as I was reversing it into the garage after a trip up to London, so I was not stranded miles from home.

All of a sudden the engine cuts out and will not restart. It turns over but not firing. Sounds like the immobliser is playing tricks and it's off to the nice chaps at Kent High performance for some TLC.

Still, better it to happen prior to spring / summer being here.

Gutted

R

2. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    sorry to hear this m8 :(

4. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    well, after leaving for a while, I've managed to start the beast and got it back into the garage for the nite. I'll still take it down to KHPC and get them to give it the once over and remove the immobliser. As according to my insurance mob (LV) the immobliser does not affect the premium.

Ho hum ! ! !

The light is still switched on at the end of the tunnel, it's just a bit dimmer!

R

5. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    As far as I was aware, and I'm willing to be corrected on this, immobilisers stop the engine from turning over altogether. If it turns over but doesn't start, then perhaps it's more likely to be an ignition or a fuel problem.

6. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Soory Ric,

Mine turns and doesnt start :)

7. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Hi there, not necessarily. In order to get Thatcham 1 or 2 rating the immobiliser must deactivate a minimum of 2 "critical" circuits, e.g. Spark (ignition coils) and Fuel (injector controller circuit or fuel pump). The third potential circuit is the starter solenoid. If you've a system that does all 3 then great, but if it's only the starter then not so great because you can just bypass the starter motor immobiliser with 1 jump-lead in seconds !

8. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    You have my sympathy mate, I was there myself on Monday, but got her started on Tuesday. It is a horrible feeling.

9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    on My car(1999 5.7)You can turn the car(factory standard) over but it will not start,had the problem a month ago(it was the immobiliser battery)
    Dave Mc

10. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    On my '96 car it wouldn't turnover if the Immobilisor was set so I'd go with the fuel/ ignition problem

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Clive,
    do you have the little plug in immobiliser? If so, check the contact area is clean . i could'nt start my car on 1 set of keys because the contact was playing up. Works fine now.

12. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Right, managed to drive the car to the chaps at Kent High performance this Am. About 5 mins away from the garage, the car starts to backfire and almost cuts out on multiple occasions. Only a heavy foot keeping it going.
    Get it to the lads, they plug in diag kit and it shows that TDC sensor is not a happy chappy. So up on the ramp and remove the undertray and they find that the front pulley is loose and is around 1 inch from where it should be located, hence the TDC sensor is skipping it's rerading. Means that the engine has to come out to retighten and fix the pulley

I've been on the blower to the dealer who sold me the car (with cam belts changed at that time) and explained to him about it. So, a bit up in the air at the moment until KHPC drop the engine and see if the securing bolt for the front pulley is loose, or the part is defective.

I can only say that I'm glad that this issue did not cause a greater amount of damage, i.e. wearing belts and valve bounce!

I'll post updates as and when.

Rob

13. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Sounds nasty. How long have you had it, and where did you get it from?

14. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Sounds like you were quite lucky to me

15. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Got the car last May from Nick Cartwright's. Nick's aware of the issue. For the moment, I can only hang ten.

And yes, think I've been lucky.

R

16. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Very lucky, that could have been a very expensive failure

17. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    ouch! sounds like you could really have been up the creek! Good guys at KHPC so they should sort you out, lucky you live so near! (and got a heavy right foot!)

18. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    didn't mean to give her a 'footfull' just when needs must. In fact I treat this lady in my life, better than the other one!

19. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    good job cars can't read!!!!