I hate cell phone companies | FerrariChat

I hate cell phone companies

Discussion in 'Technology' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Apparently since Cingular ate AT&T, I cannot stay with my plan I've had for 4 years, nor can I keep my phone (it's flaking out, and they won't let me stay on the plan)

All I want is a shared 2-line with no charges between the phones. I don't roam, do long distance, none of that. I don't need text, web browsing, cameras, mp3 players, etc.

Apparently there's no such plan -- even though I have one like it right now.

BLAH
    (just a vent)

2. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Tell me about it. I got into a HUGE argument with Sprint today (I've been a loyal customer for 4 years) and it ended with me terminating my service and switching to Verizon. To make a long story short, my phone's hinge broke when I opened up my phone to talk; apparently that doesn't count as a "mechanical problem due to normal wear and tear" and they refused to replace/fix my phone under the enhanced warranty I have. They wanted me to pay a $50 deductible for a replacement, refurbished phone. After speaking and yelling at employees, customer service reps, insurance people, and the retention department at Sprint, the "best they could offer" me was a $25 credit on my bill. I declined, went home, and purchased a new Verizon phone (Motorola V710, free after rebates) and got an equivalent service plan for less than it cost me at Sprint.

Very very very very aggrivating day. My blood pressure was about a million and a half over a million.

3. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    tillman-
    what kind of phone is it........if it is a GSM phone......buy one on Ebay and switch your sim out........they can't force you to change calling plans unless you upgrade your phone, can they??? so don't upgrade, get a new phone from someone else...........stay on the month to month plan

4. lwpat

lwpat Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Customer service at Sprint and also Nextel is a joke. Had similar problems with warranty. Seems that Nextel's standard answer is that the phone got wet and there is no warranty. Nevermind that it had never been out of the building. I also suggest that you switch to Verizon. Replaced one phone free that was out of warranty and have called me twice to offer lower rate plans
    In addition customer service is not in India.

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

i learned a new saying on the Cell Phone boards... NextHELL. Had Nextel for years and took their abuse and lack of service. It was MY fault for allowing Nextel to abuse me. On Cingular now and love it!

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That's precisely the problem, it's not a GSM phone. It's a rather ancient Nokia digital something-or-other, and they don't want to support the digital equipment anymore.

It's just annoying that they claim the plan I have is not available, and they want me to pay a fee to be forced to change plans/phones. I stated "I've been a customer for years" and then they had the nerve to state "that's why we're only charging you half the normal changeover fee".

So, I have to pay more for features I don't want.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Perhaps it is TDMA? That is the old technology i believe is being phased out.

9. lwpat

lwpat Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Sorry that you found my post objectionable. I own a trucking company and probably pay more in one month for cell phone service than most people will pay their entire lives. The purpose of a forum is advice and my company has tried almost every cell phone company. Verizon is the first one that has even acknowledged that they appreciate us as a customer and tried to be responsive to our needs. When I find a company that provides an exceptional service or product I will continue to recommend them on this any any other board regardless of the flames.

Likewise when we have been screwed by someone like Nextel I will also post that. Forums are one of the few ways that consumers have to air their views since "customer service" seems to be a thing of the past for many of these mega companies. I understand your concern about unappropriate posts and always comply with any requests from a moderator.

10. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have nexHell, and yah they suck......not only do there plans suck, but so does there customer service, as well as there phones.........they have one camera phone that costs $300 on a two year plan......

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  12. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I am currently working at Verizon so I may sound biased. However I've also worked at Nextel AT&T and Cingular. All our plans just went nationwide no roaming and our coverage is pretty good as far as cell phones go. Send me a PM if you need any more info

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hi Matt, Whut's up?

Dale

14. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

All plans are nationwide?

15. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    It didn't make sense NOT to go with Verizon in my case. Verizon's coverage has always been better than the rest (though I had zero problems with Sprint's coverage where I use my phones), but it has traditionally been much more expensive in my area. That's just not the case anymore. Not only that, but most of my friends are now on Verizon, and calling within the Verizon network is free, therefore I'm using less minutes.

No brainer. Verizon all the way. Did I mention top notch customer service so far??? Did I also mention how HORRIBLE Sprint's customer service was???

16. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Going quasi-off-topic for a sec...

From what I've heard/experienced, the US GSM networks aren't too great quality-wise. Does anyone have any experience with the cell phones over in Europe? I just purchased a SIM unlocked phone and an Italian SIM card for when I'm over in France/Italy next month, and I was wondering what the service was like over there...