Question about Mobil 1 | FerrariChat

Question about Mobil 1

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by delaney, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I went to pick up some Mobil 1 but could only find 5 - 40 labelled for diesel engines/trucks and SUV's...."ideal for engines that are pushed hard...."

Is there any formulation difference between this and the 5 - 40 recommended for the 355's?

Regards,

Pete

2. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    There are many threads on the oil issue, I must warn you, the information on the forum are a bit overwhelming.

I would recommend 0-40 M1 oil. It is better than the range specified for your car, and provide better cold weather protection.

3. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The oil recommended for 355s is Shell Helix 5w-40 (synthetic), I believe, which is hard to find anywhere but at the Ferrari dealers'. Valvoline 5w-40 Synpower has the same viscosity at operating temperature (13.8 cSt) as the Shell and is just a little thicker (81 cSt vs. 76 cSt) at 40 deg C, which is considered a cold engine. Mobil 1 5w-40 is a bit more robust (102 cSt cold, 14.8 hot) and apparently has additives to merit a "CI-4" diesel rating. So if you feel bound by the 5w-40 requirement, you might prefer the Valvoline over the Mobil 1.

When I changed oil recently, I used Mobil 1 0w-40 like Anthony C. Its viscosities are more like the 5w40 Shell and Valvoline than the 5w-40 Mobil 1.

The F-chat oil guru is Dr. Ali Haas (AEHaas). For sensory overload, look up his tutorials on motor oil in the archives.

Cheers, Mark

4. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I use 0-40 which is the best value for the Mobil 1 product IMO given the factory spec is 5-40. Its the Black top bottle and very seldom in stock at most auto parts houses. They will special order for you though.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I gotta admit... Mobil has changed their packaging and it caught me off guard. I recently bought (accidentally) something from the Mobil Clean "line", which is *not* synthetic. It's almost deceptive how they label the stuff. Nevertheless, go to the Mobiloil.com website and see all the different formulations.

Mobil1 is what you want, and it is *NOT* the same thing as Clean5000, Clean7500, etc.

-Daniel

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    As others stated, it is probable advisable to stick with Mobil 1 0w-40 over the SUV version 5w-40. The 5w-40 is probably of the same quality level, but the thickness issue would concern me. I would not be too worried about it's specified use for SUV's or it's diesel rating.

Interesting fact; about three or four years ago, there was a shortage of Shell Helix in the FNA system, and many dealers used Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic "truck" oil. It is specified for both gas and diesel engines.