Ok, here's yet another 79 308 heater hose question: | FerrariChat

Ok, here's yet another 79 308 heater hose question:

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by christopher, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hello again fellow "F"-chatters,

Hey, I've downloaded all I can find on heater hoses for my 79 308, I get the jist that it's a pain in the %$#* to do. I did secure some photos from the archeives, but would be appreciative of any recent photos.

Also, I'd like to mirror O.E., stange texture. Fellow "F"-Chatter suggested "gates-green stripe". Does anyone know how many feet I'll need and the size.

Also, do the hoses run on both sides for the car or just the left (drivers) side

Appreciate you help!

Thanks, Chris.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are looking for the textured hose to duplicate the original I have boxes of green stripe in heater hose sizes and it is not textured, it is smooth. The only green stripe that is textured is the larger sticks of straight bulk hose.

3. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    hi christopher, i used to live in ontario (now norcal) and i too have a 79 308(29101). green stripe is the way to go if you want to do it once, i don't remember how many feet but i'm almost positive there's a thread that tells just that. i'd suggest you do it a leetle beet at a time, it's less frustrating and easier on the back, don't forget to replace clamps, too. oh and BTW, drive it like you stole it!

4. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    I bought 3' of 1.5" dia green stripe - cost about $20

5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
  6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There seems to be some confusion about the hose size. The heater hose and the brake servo vacume line run up the drivers side rocker. The coolant hose is 3/4 and the vacume is 1/2 inside diameter, I believe. You will need somewhere around 12 Ft of both hoses. I bought 16 Feet to be on the safe side. This is a real pain in the ass to do. It will work way better with two people. If you can get the car in the air you will only have to move the gas tank back a few inches instead of removing it. I think this saved me a day!!
    The secret is to lubricate the hell out of the hose. Pull from the engine to the front, with one person pushing hose and continualyy lubricating and the other pulling firmly. Attach the new hose to the old very well and without any protrusions for the easiest pull. Once you get the connection between the old hose and the new hose around the corner at the rear, the work is easy. But that will take you a couple of hours right there. Be sure to have some beer on hand and a pair of rubber coated gloves for gripping the hose. I used napa Weatherhead hose for both lines. They told me it will not collapse under vaccume. I guess we will see!!!

7. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you very much Guys!

Chris.

8. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Ok Guys,

Not to belabor a point, but I thought that the Gates "Green Strip" would be exactly like to O.E. heater hosing, guess what? it's not. What's currently on there arrears to be splinned, (w/ridges) not braided, I want to duplicate that, any ideas?

Thanks, Chris.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Approach parts counter at local dealer with outstreached credit card?

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Did you talk to Italian Car Parts or check their link?

They seem like the kind of place that might be able to get you what you're after even if it's not on the website.

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse

well said :)