330/P4 book | FerrariChat

330/P4 book

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by davidgoerndt, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I've come across a copy of a book on the 330/ P4 by Paolo Alarasca. Can anyone comment on the quality of this book?

David Goerndt

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Well, it should have been the definitive title on the tipo, David.
    Unfortunately, it's not - and there is plenty of room for improvement.
    In my 'P4 Bibliography', a few years ago, I wrote:

Ferrari 330/P4 by Paulo Marasca
    ISBN 0-7603-1081-5. Published 2001 by MBI.
    135 pages. Slipcased. Foreward by Chris Amon. Includes 1:32 scale plans; Many B&W period photos; Race history by event and 20 pages of colour photos of the Pierre Bardinon collection P4 spyder, chassis #0860. Limited edition of 1000. Price £99.50.
    In my opinion, what should have been the ultimate volume on the subject, is let down by poor quality, grainy reproductions of some of the B&W photographs, and somewhat wordy translation from the original Italian text. Also, what initially impresses is the 41mm thick slipcase, which turns out to contain a mere 11mm thickness of pages. Not particularly good value for money !.

I think the original U.S. list price was $150.00 (when the exchange rate was more favourable). I've seen them offered on eBay, in the last year or so, for around half that price ....
    A far better book, (IMHO), if you can get hold of a copy is:

Ferrari P3/412P by Christian Huet (Cavalleria series #11)
    ISBN 3-905268-08-6. Published 1995 by Cavalleria S.A..
    109 pages. Slipcased. Italian / English / French text. Includes development; Race history and records / technical specifications by chassis number. Many good quality B&W and colour period photos and 28 pages of colour photos of the Scuderia Filipinetti 412P, chassis #0848. Originally priced at £55.00, the Cavalleria series was being offered by Mill House books at £39.99.
    Although not actually dedicated to the P4, this probably remains the best value all-round book on the subject. Only let down by a weak spine binding and the number of 2” square photos on the text pages, which could have looked so much better blown up !

Still .... If you're a dedicated P4'ophile (like me), I recommend you get a copy of both ! ;)

3. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Paul,

thanks, There is one on ebay now, starting bid $125, buy it now $150. I guess I'll pass on it for now.

David Goerndt

4. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    I also saw this book a while ago. As P4Replica already pointed out, it's not that great. I looked through it and it didn't lived up to the expectations I had about it.

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Motorbooks had the Marasca book on sale last year. I got mine for a little more than $50 USD. I was slightly disappointed with the overall quality, but figured no biggie for the price paid. I knew very little abt the P4, so I thought the information within was very useful.

6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    That was a good price, Greg ! Unfortunately I was so keen to get hold of one, that I pre-ordered my copy, prior to publication (based on the usual publisher's hype) and paid the full retail (U.K.) price - hence my disappointment.
    At $50 bucks, the book is a definately a bargain !

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i think we might be out of stock but i can find out, if you'd like...

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

You sure you didnt just take all the "stock" home with you? ;-)

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i actually did one better - i moved into the office...! :)