142 MPH on I-205! In a Civic! | FerrariChat

142 MPH on I-205! In a Civic!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Spasso, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Are You Sure Officer? I Couldn't Have Been Doing More Than 130...

March 31, 2005

OREGON CITY, ORE. - State trooper Matt Klare's beat is Interstate 205, and he's used to clocking drivers who are cruising along at 10, 15, even 20 miles over the posted 55 mile per hour speed limit.

But 87 miles over the limit? That's another story.

Klare clocked Ryan Allan Champ, 19, of Oregon City, driving 142 mph early Wednesday, the second fastest stop ever record by the Oregon State Police. (The record is 159 mph, set in 1993 on the Astoria Megler Bridge.)

When Klare caught up with Champ and his souped-up 1992 Honda Civic at a stoplight, "He told me he was going 140," Klare said.

Klare said Champ was driving without insurance and with a suspended license.

According to Klare, Champ said he was trying to catch up to someone who had thrown a bottle at his car.

Champ was arrested on an accusation of reckless driving and taken to Clackamas County Jail. The charge carries a maximum penalty of up to one year in jail and a fine of $6,250, police said.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/36051.htm

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    What I want to know is WHO WAS DOING 159 MPH ON THE ASTORIA BRIDGE!

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    His Civic apparently had "scissors doors" and a "race motor". While I understand how stupid, dangerous, etc. this was, part of me wants to high five the kid for getting a Civic up to that speed. This is the power of rice.

Kid messed up--the place to speed (in the city, which I never do) is apparently the I-205 bridge between OR and WA. Spans two states, no real room to set up a speed trap, long enough to do serious speed, etc.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Quite true, as I have been down there a bunch in the past month. Witnessed two major "road rage" incidents (one in each direction on different days), and suprised no accidents resulted. Average speed on the bridge is around 75mph. That area really should be patrolled more. WSP only covers the area near the mall and north where 205 merges with I-5.

Dave

5. Tylerb59

Tylerb59 Rookie

Mar 8, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    Full Name:
    Tyler B
    1991 Acura Integra set the 159mph mark according to another article.

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I was thinking it was one of the guys from the last Cannon Beach run...........................................Ted?

7. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    I drive over the I-205 bridge daily to and from work. The Police never used to patrol but have recently started patroling pretty heavily.
    Evenings - Oregon Stater's on the way to Washington (motorcycle cops) normally three of them. Mornings - Portland Police on the way to Oregon.
    People do adverage normally at least 75mph. Weekends are never patroled though, My F-car has been know to exceed those speeds frequently on the weekends...

Guilty as charge but yet to be caught. knock on wood

Mike