F430 BRAKES | FerrariChat

F430 BRAKES

Discussion in 'Australia' started by F40LMGTC, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    okay all you experts, what's your call on this.
    I have ordered an F430 spider F1. (let's forget about "lucky bastard etc. etc).
    what I'm curious about is do I order the car with ceramic brakes (a $40k extra.....or there abouts) , or do I go for normal disks. The car will not see any action on a track, just normal road use. So-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
    is having ceramic brakes overkill for normal road use. or-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r
    are the ceramic brakes going to work okay under normal, road condition driving ???????
    regards

2. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If i were you Gil, and i wish i was! I would just stick to the normal brakes. If it aint gonna see the track, forget about the extra $$. But if you want the "Uber-Spec" car, go for it. Ive driven cars with Ceramic brakes on the road, and i prefered normal brakes, as they were alot "smoother". Mind you, this was on a Porka....:) But they were awesome at the track, where smoothness is not really a factor.

That my opinion though. :)

P.S
    Did i mention your a lucky bastard? :D:D:D

3. OpenWhlRcr

OpenWhlRcr Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    If you are not going to track it do not equip the car with ceramics. That will be wasted money. Those brakes really only work at high temp anyway and you will never see that on the streets. I know lots of guys that got them on their GT3s and hate them becuase of how they perform during regular driving. Spend the money on other options you will see a benefit from or that will please you astheticly.

4. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Gil
    Don't mess about - treat it like a hamburger - get one "with the lot"!

5. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    gil , when you say ordered , are you in the q because if you have given your spec with some serious dollars then this question doesn't make sense. please advise

6. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    What happens is that you place your order. Then when it gets reasonably close to your no., your called and asked what extras you want with the car.
    I ordered the car , early last year, so my number is coming up soon, so i'm trying to do some research on the brake thing. I guess i don't want to buy a car with ceramic brakes, IF i'm going to hate using them. Although, in the past I have gone with "one with the lot"
    regards

7. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A good idea would be to contact some GT3/GT2 owners on the board here. They might give you the right answers.

8. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    i am fourth on the list for the hard top which is now early next year and sixth on the spider which is at the end of this year so I know the go. what state are you buying from ?. melb has about 12 spiders allocated this year , bris has 6

9. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    Mine is coming through LANCE DIXON in Melbourne.
    It's a good idea to remember that a lot of orders drop off the number tree, for whatever reasons. When i placed the order I was probably 20 or 30th in line, but because people drop off I am probably up somewhere between 10-15. I'm not sure what this has to do with the brakes?
    regards

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Gil, forget the brakes given your intended use of the 430 and the alternative you have for the track in the LM. I have to spec my 430 now and won't be forking out for the uber brakes. In the case of a coupe, I think it makes more sense to wait for the 430 Stradale in which case you may retain some value come trade in time. $40k spent on an option in the standard car is straight down the drain. Just my 5c worth.

11. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    what? you want my mum to throw her panties at you?

12. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    tell your mum to put the "BRAKES" on throwing the panties.
    the panties thing was good when the females were in their 20's.
    most of the females i knew in the 1970's are now throwing "walking sticks".

13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    good advice Scott as you both have track toys if you are so inclined and the $40k makes no sense in that scenario.

All that I've read about the brakes are that they are fade free for the track and you'll never reach the limit on the road but the big drawback is the cost of replacing them if you use them a lot!

AHG has done a LOT of research on this very subject and he is getting them becasue he tracks it but otherwise it makes no sense for the road over the "standard" already excellent brakes.

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The Porsche and Ferrari carbon brakes are completely different. Nothing against porsche, but the P car carbons are **** and have a bad habit of destroying themselves. The F cars have no such problem. That said, carbon brakes are a waste on a street car IMO. If 40K means that little to you, save the money and donate it to the Salvo's instead. (no disrespect intended by this comment by the way)

15. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    :D i tuned out many years ago when i heard "Thorpe", "Braithewaite", and "sandwich" mentioned in the same sentence.

16. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    ...or pick up a spare GT4. :cool:

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I reckon the brakes are a good gimmick, that will of course work well if you were to track the car, but the biggest reason to buy them from where I sit, is to help with re-sale.

If, in your opinion, the car would re-sell easier without them, then leave them off! If you think it would need them, then get them! If you really dont care either way, and can afford to get them, then get them.

Personally, I think a 430 advertised at 30K less than all the others (ceramic equipped) in 9 months will re-sell quicker.....

As Scott Said, you've already got the perfect track car, and it's not like the 430 brakes will be bad... but the wheels DO make them look puny as the spokes are so open.

AHG found a photo somewhere to show this.

18. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    it was more wanting to have the car as nice as possible. I did think that it would take a lot of heat to get the ceramics to work and seeing i'm not wanting to track the car, the normal brakes are probably the go. i enjoy having a couple of ferrari's that have never been tracked. I don't see the point in using all my cars on the track.
    regards

19. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Gil
    having met you, I understood what you meant, just wanted to correct Mikes incorrect view of the Porsche V Ferrari carbon/ceramic brakes.

20. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    hi Phil, I don't intent to sell the car...........ever. My cars are my kids inheritance, i'm just looking after them on behalf of my kids, so that is why, I have never sold one of them.
    regards...gil

21. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    If that's the case, why are you asking us? Ask them if they want the carbon brakes or not!!

22. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Ok, I'll start the "I want to be adopted by Gil thread"........

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I'm first.

24. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    Because my 8 year old has no idea what carbon brakes are. But if you ask her what's her favourite car, she'll say F40.
    Let's not forget the simple question that started this "carbon brakes or not".
    And i think the answer has to be..........NO ,normal brakes will do.
    regards

25. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    you'll notice he's already trying to distance himself from any involvement with my mum in the 70's......

edit: yeah, go for the carbon... Dad. :)