The new Aston Martin V8 | FerrariChat

The new Aston Martin V8

Discussion in 'British' started by asianbond, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Has anyone looked into this car? based on what I read in the UK car magazines it blows everything out of the water with its design, workmanshp and performance. If they can keep it under a 100k I will surely put my deposit in. Compared to the maserati coupe it's a no brainer.

2. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It will be $120K

3. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    My March issue of evo corroborates rodsky - at least $120K, and HIDs aren't even standard equipment. On top of that, AM is apparently sold out for the next three years, so good luck with that deposit :).

More generally, I was really excited about the V8 when it was first announced. "A 911-fighter with next-generation AM V/H architecture," the spy articles said. But due to the poor performance of the dollar, the tagline is now "A 911-Turbo fighter with next-gen architecture with a dealer network that is almost non-existent in the US."

Still, it's a beautiful car with a test-mule 'Ring time of about eight minutes, and it's significantly cheaper than a Bentley GT or a DB9.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it appears to look like a baby db9...i have seen a few new db9s on the road in my area and just was at the am dealer where i say the new vanguish s and db 9 up close...nice cars...i would never pay 160--250k for these cars new...i suspect they will continue the am tradition of rapid depreciation...as for blowly everyout of the water, i have read 0-60 at 4.8..i suspect a 911s will eat it alive as far as performance and even workmanship and long lasting quality...several of the us mags have noted workmanship issues on test drive db9s....

5. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I've been on the waiting list since Jan of '03, which is when it was featured at the Detroit Auto Show. I talked to the general manager of the dealership recently and he said it'll be around $115k + options, so that means $125-130k out the door. I'm 10th on the list out of 40+. I doubt there were 9 people that got on the list in front of me, but I have no relationship with this dealership, so I'm sure some of their friends & previous customers got better placement than me.

It'll only be offered with a manual transmission. The decision to offer an auto-tranny will be made after the first year of production. Same goes for if they offer a convertible or not, it will be decided later.

I had been very excited about getting this as a replacement of my 996TT for my daily driver, but in the past few months I've seen a couple of pics of the AMV8 that didn't do it any justice. It just didn't seem to impress me as much as it did the first time I saw it. One thing that certainly bothers me is the fact that it'll be almost 3 years since I first laid eyes on it before getting it.
    So as of now I'm undecided on if I'll actually take delivery of it or just have my deposit refunded. I'll probably make the decision after I get to test drive a demo.

6. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

You may want to check the used market on the Vanquish. It would make a 550/575 owner cry. IMHO this modern generation of AMs (Vanquish and newer) are a whole new breed and will rewrite AM's reputation from a quirky hand built British car to a legitimate but more discrete alternative to Ferrari.

7. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    IN pure performance I don't expect it to be the top dog, but it's suppose to be in a new league from the old db7 and vanquish in terms of body dynamics. At 4.3 sec that is plenty fast enough for 90% of drivers out there. The initial article said it was to compete with the 997 price point, so at that price it is a helluva a bargain if you factor in the looks, pedigree, design, materials, hand built, exclusivity, but if it's going out the door at 120k then that's another story, then we're talking 997 turbo, MB SL55, category.

The interior design does look great though, much nicer than the pedestrian porsche look.

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Where do you get 4.3? Aston site shows this: Projected Performance figures:
    - Maximum power: 283kW (380 bhp / 385 PS) @ 7300 rpm
    - Maximum torque: 410Nm (302 lb.ft) @ 5000 rpm
    - Maximum speed: 280 km/h (175 mph)
    - 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds
    - 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.0 seconds
    MotorTrend got 4.8 in a Maserati Spyder and the new Gransport is even quicker. Both these cars considerably cheaper than the Aston, so do not agree with your statement about an Aston over a Maserati as a "No Brainer"

9. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Relax Scott....I thought I saw 4.3, 4.8. 4.9, as long as it's under 5 sec its got more performance than you can handle, if that is all you care about then go buy an evo8. Don't get so defensive just because you own a maserati. I'm referring to the whole package. I've driven the maseratis and was not impress by its chassis nor workmanship, and if at similiar price it is a no brainer to go with the AM V8, but it looks like they won't be at similiar prices. Pick up the current issue of top gear to see what I'm talking about.

It's the damn weak dollar that's making all these prices to rise.

10. resident

resident Rookie

Mar 16, 2005