Skyline GTR34 VSpec | FerrariChat

Skyline GTR34 VSpec

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by steveirl, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I have always liked the last version of this car a lot, and am seriously thinking of buying one, I have only ever driven the very early type R32 about 12 years ago and was impressed at the time, Has anyone any experience if the R34 Skyline, impressions and opinions are welcome
    thanks
    Steve

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I know Fchatter Blowdog used to own a blue R34 V-spec, he sold it for a 550 later on. I believe he's in London and you can read his impressions on his site: www.blowdog.com

3. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Steve, your best bet for getting pertinent info on the R34 is at www.gtr.co.uk Obviously plenty of UK owners there and there are several R34's for sale in the Classifieds section right now...plus a number of R32 and R33's. No doubt some of the most impressive road going GT cars ever produced so good luck in your search. :)

Apparently BlowDog is selling his 550 now as he posted a for sale thread on the GTR Register recently. I've been browsing that forum for quite some time and he does seem to change cars quite often. Must be nice :)

4. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Used to own one. Get the V-Spec if you can. The final edition was called the Nurburgring V-Spec and as with all Skylines there is a plethora of upgrading parts, turbos/exhausts/ECU's/diffs/wheels etc....that can be mind blowing both for you and your wallet !

The looks take some getting used to..It ain't pretty, for sure but it sure is fast. Reports of 1000hp Skylines are true tho' engine longevity is at risk. 650hp is plenty safe ( Mine was 'only' 450hp, it was my DD ) and with 4WD and the associated gubbins, relatively safe. Drive set-up is basically biased towards the rear so it feels more like a RWD car and tail-out antics are just a twitch on the loud pedal.

Go out and buy it. You won't regret it!

5. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I still own one after 6 years of ownership. Other cars come and go, but this one has been with me the longest. I am selling it though to make way for possible 360 in the near future.

The car is great in term of performance. Simple added on parts will give you a lot more HP. I dyno my R34 stock at 289 hp. After full exhaust, intercooler, intake system, twin plate clutch, and electronic boost controller, the car yeild 374 hp!!!! I was thinking that something was wrong with the dyno, but the second run confirmed the result.

The engine is bullet proof if you take care of it and mod it up the right way with the right parts. The suspension is a bit harsh, but they design this car for Japanese roads..ha ha. The brake is just OK. If you plan to go above 450 hp, you'd better get a new brake. The car is quite heavy, so in stock form it's not that quick. But this thing sure know how to handle the twitchy. The 4wd is not full time, and the set up is very rear drive bias. Power oversteer is very easy. High speed stability is great too, I had it up to 275 km/h and it's rock steady.

Build quality is usual Nissan standard. But look for small rust spot around the seam and in engine bay. All GTR models seem to have problem with rust a bit. But it's never serious, you can have body shop repair those small rust spots easily.

Of all the 6 years of ownership, I never once had a problem with it. The battery is small for all the electronic in the car. You must drive it regularly, meaning more than once a week and it'd better be a long drive to put some juice back into it.

And if you do but it, take it to the track....you will love it.

6. PaulfromPA

PaulfromPA Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Paul Grabowski
  7. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    thanks for the advice guys, especially interesting to hear from two owners, it is the V-Spec I am interested in, have been looking and prices seem to vary enormously, with some private sellers lookin for as much as traders, makes me think I might be best to learn a little more as many seem to be heavily modified!!
    i think its the driving experience that fascinates me, i have been driving my friends Subaru turbo and its a hoot but I feel a little embarrased when i get flashed and and thumbs up hornblowing by teenage guys in their Hondas and Colts, the Skyline to me is a little more grown-up and I have always liked bigger cars, if I buy one it will be a daily driver so more interested in a near standard car.
    Steve

8. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I guess you get even more thumbs up with the GTR...ha ha ha.

It would be best to find near stock car. We don't modify car for no reason, so the heavier the modification, the harder it is driven too.

V-spec is not a must as it comes with a bit stiffer suspension set up and low lip spoiler and diffuser, making it a bit easier to scrap speed bump. You also rarely feel the advantage of V-spec car on the road. It would be best to look for any bone stock R34 GTR and not limit your choice to the V-spec only.

9. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Its interesting you should say that about the V-Spec, I thought that the V-Spec was the only R34 fitted with the ATTESSA E-Ts four wheel drive system??
    If the only difference between a R34GTR and a V-spec is the spoiler and underbody diffusers I would consider a stock R34 as the V-Spec is quite a lot more expensive, however all official Uk R34GTR cars are V-spec so I would have to consider a grey market import from Japan for a stock R34, and it can be difficult to verify the history of such cars.
    This is getting more difficult as i look into it!!!
    Steve

10. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    you can buy a RB26DETT on ebay for cheap, then go buy a Supra with a NA Engine and replace it with the skyline motor, not only will it be cheaper, but you will have left over money for upgrades....it drops right in heard TOPSECRET japan did it...........

11. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I hope you're not trying to say that a Nissan motor bolts right into a Toyota Supra. As far as V-Spec and AWD, the GTR is awd and the GTS is RWD.

12. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    There is no way a skyline engine just drops in, pretty much any major engine conversion will require a ton of work even if it physically fits.

Top Secret is a major company and does lots of "odd" things for a special purpose, for example I cant remember which but one of companys took a supra and put a modded 4cyl in it for high speed runs (less weight lots of room in the engine bay so less heat and room for lots of cooling gear)

just had a look and you can find both cars at http://www.topsecretjpn.com look under images gt300 pro is the 4cyl and the car next to it for the skyline/supra... oh yer and its pumping out 1000PS@ 8500rpmand 90kgm@ 8000rpm.. not really a saving money swap :)

13. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    You're right in that the RB26DETT certainly won't drop right into a MKIV Supra chassis w/o a lot of work. It's not even really necessary at all as the 2JZGTE that comes in the Supra is just as capable if not more so than the RB26DETT so it would be a waste and I think Top Secret just did the swap for the heck of it. I know they've also put the RB26 into a few Z32's (300ZX) which turned out to be nice conversions as well. Now as far as the 4cyl in the Supra it's usually the 3SGTE which came in the MR2 Turbo, Celica GT4/AllTrac and it's also a damn stout engine. I believe most JGTC Supras also use it (a modified version of course) as it's lighter and can be placed farther back in the chassis for better weight distribution of course.

Anyway, good luck tracking down a nice R34 GTR and you should be able to find a clean version from one of the many vendors you can find on the GTR Register www.gtr.co.uk :D

14. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    It's pretty dumb to put a skyline engine in a supra when the difference is only about 100+hp.
    The Rb26dett engine is practically bullit proof and is the ultimate japanese engine you can buy, no matter what you do to it it can withstand it.
    I know a guy who has dropped in a 3 ROTOR 20B rotary engine, street ported it and added the biggest turbos he could find and is pumping out 1000hp easy.

15. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Actually, the JGTC Supras are running V8s. I had a Modified Magazine that covered all of the teams prior to the US display back in December. While the Supras may win the dyno wars in the US, the RB26DETT has been winning the JGTC races, both in the R34 Skyline and the Z33 350Z.

16. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Well...R34 GTR started out with 3 models:
    1. standard R34 GTR: no front lower lip, no diffuser, no electronic rear diff.
    2. GTR V-spec: front lower lip, carbon diffuser, rpm gauge has 1-3000 rpm bunched up closer than standard, has electronic rear diff, a bit harsher suspension set up, a bit heavier as a result.
    3. GTR V-spec N1: light weight machine, stronger engine internal, comes in white only( if my memory serves me right) with black side mirror. extremely rare.

Later addition to the line are:
    V-spec II: as V-spec but has carbon fiber hood (can op for non-paint one), change of side mirror adjuster button, pedals are aluminum (earlier GTR comes with rubber pedals)

M-spec: the softest GTR with different shocks. Leather seat was the option. Special color (very ugly light green-goldish metalic).

Nur edition: come with both V-spec II and M-spec. has N1 internal parts. Limited qty at 1000 cars. It is the final GTR.

RB26DETT dies with the R34 GTR. It is truely a great engine. It got its weak point (mainly at the oil pump), but mod it up right and you can get 1000 hp or more. Regarding RB26 in Supra or any 2WD cars....you can do it. But you will need to use transmission from VG30DETT or RB25DET. It will bolt right into the back of RB26DETT and has the same ratio (RB26 from R32 R33).

By the wam JGTC Supra use 4 cylinder turbo (3SGTE). I don't know if they change to V8 or what, but they had been using 3SGTE. Skyline was using RB26DETT (it was born to race, thus 2.6 liter turbo following the rule at that time) until lately that they switch to VG family.

If you want to buy a GTR....buy R34 Nur spec if you can reach it. It is the final edition and should hold its value for a while. Its stronger internal is also a bonus.

17. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Way to go Pong!

All of the above information is spot on including the 4-cyl engines as used in their JGTC cars. I was in Sepang for the first JGTC round in Malaysia and snuck a peek into the Supras, 4-cylinders and mounted further back, a front mid-engine set-up. The air collectors made up for the rest of the space!

Regarding the V-Specs version, mine was the V-spec II with the funny green colour. My wife called it 'puke' green and she never did like the car...Honestly at that time I didn't give much thinking into the M-Spec series, and when I bought it from dealer it was advertised as the Nurburgring Final Edition. But it was way too stiff for Malaysian roads with terrible rebound control. Damping was excellent but the combination was out. Solution was to fit the NISMO street coilovers which against all expectations provided a better ride yet a very track-able set-up..

Whatever it is, the GTR-R34 is a once in a lifetime experience. Get it while you can...

18. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Tifosi:...agree totally about the suspension on the GTR...it's for smooth as baby's butt japanese road only..ha ha ha. And yes, the rebound sucks, I changed mine to HKS set up, which sadly to say, equally suck. I adjust it the best I can, and it still won't calm down. But it's great on the track.

I am selling mine today...ha ha ha, after 6 years of fun and total reliability, it will be missed badly.

19. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Thanks or all the info guys, especially Pong, very useful, I have been looking at some cars for sale, about 30k sterling seems to be the price for a good car, and about 30k euro in Japan, by the time i import it here it will cost 60k euro, and i just am not so sure a 6 year old skyline is worth that, I dunno now, am also considering a BMW 850CSi, always liked em, watched a video of one doing 188mph on a german autobahn recently, pretty impressive!
    Steve

20. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS