Bahrain - Practice (Spoilers) | FerrariChat

Bahrain - Practice (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ferrari is back:

1.* Wurz (Ö, McLaren) 1:30,695
    2.* Zonta (Br, Toyota) 0,754
    3. Alonso (Sp, Renault) 1,274
    4. Schumi I (De, Ferrari) 1,325
    5.* Liuzzi (It, Red Bull) 1,624
    6. De la Rosa (Sp, McLaren) 1,638
    7. Trulli (It, Toyota) 1,736
    8. Fisichella (It, Renault) 1,900
    9. Räikkönen (Fi, McLaren) 2,013
    10. Button (Gb, BAR-Honda) 2,293
    11. Schumi II (De, Toyota) 2,342
    12. Heidfeld (De, Williams-BMW) 2,382
    13. Barrichello (Br, Ferrari) 2,416
    14. Sato (Ja, BAR-Honda) 2,457
    15. Klien (Ö, Red Bull) 2,510
    16. Webber (Au, Williams-BMW) 2,732
    17. Coulthard (Gb, Red Bull) 2,741
    18. Massa (Br, Sauber) 2,748
    19. Karthikeyan (Ind, Jordan) 2,868
    20.* Doornbors (Ho, Jordan) 3,013
    21. Villeneuve (Ka, Sauber) 3.031
    22. Monteiro (Por, Jordan) 3,286
    23. Friesacher (Ö, Minardi) 3,527
    24. Albers (Ö, Minardi) 3,605

Not that practice times are terribly meaningful, but nevertheless.

2. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Pretty good laptime by Alexander Wurz. I'm sure he was running empty, but still he must feel good to be # 1. If Montoya can't make it for Imola, Wurz should be driving from what I'v heard.

Liuzzi 3rd in 1st practice and 3rd 2nd practice. Hope Red Bull will let him race in Imola. He has talent this guy.

Now what happened to Barrichello in the 2nd free practice? No time for RB and he wasn't even in his racing suit? He was watching the 2nd pract with Jean and Ross.
    Speedtv said Ferrari has two F2005 cars for the week-end and the spare car is a F2004M. Maybe Ferrari are scared that one of the 2 cars breaks.

3. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I found the answer ... gearbox problem. The F2005 has a new type of transmission now utilising more carbon. The casing is completely new, both in terms of its shape. Maybe it was a bad idea bringing the car for Bahrain. I heard the gearbox was fragile..
    I hope MS and RB will have no mechanical problems during the race.

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What boggles my mind is the poor performance of the Saubers. Again. With all the new technology (super computer Albert, wind tunnel, Ferrari engine, Michelin tires) at their disposal, I thought this is going to be their season to shine, yet they end up at the end of the charts again.

Whether Villeneuve is slower than Massa barely matters anymore if you're talking about 18 vs 21.
    :(

5. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    I think it was in an article posted here, but with the new aero regs I there is an incentive to make the gearbox higher off the undertray and thinner than it used to be, counter intuitive to old drive of lowering CoG, but apparently allows them much needed leeway to maximize the undertray, which is more important with the new wing regulations and the new regs on the aero around the rear wheels. I think that article also mentioned this is the first year not using welded titanium casings Ferrari has become famous for, or at least limiting the amount of Ti compared to carbon. Probably just some teething, their gearbox test rigs in Maranello are off the wall, I'm sure they have put it through the ringer.

We need to get Fchat based offshore and start a pool. I'd bet Schumi wins it this weekend with Barrichello DNFing. Schumi is probably the best on the grid at conserving tires (he spent more time than anyone, except maybe Webber, focused on this in his early career), if the F2005 is competitive I really can't picture anyone on the grid beating him in a format that really plays into his hand. My (optimistic) predictions:
    1. Shumi
    2. KR
    3. FA
    4. Webber
    5. GF

6. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I sure hope Bridgestone figures it out this weekend

7. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Is Shumacher running the same engine in his F2005 that he ran in Malaysia? If not, doesn't he suffer a penalty in qualifying position?

8. V-10 Nut

V-10 Nut Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Steve
    He ran Melbourn and Malaysia with the same engine......no penalty.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He couldn't run the Malaysia engine in the 2005 car as it was a 2004 engine that wouldn't fit into the 2005 car. Remember how weird it was to see the Sauber team with the new 2005 Ferrari engine while the Ferrari was still using the old 2004 engine?

I think MS kept his engine from Melbourne in Malaysia and hence is back in the rotation for a new engine this weekend. Hence no penalty.