Going to Italy!!! | FerrariChat

Going to Italy!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kizdan, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am going to Italy soon for 4 nights. On one of the days, I will tour both the Ferrari and Maserati factories. Recommendations on things to see, places to go, places to eat???? I will be staying in Modena.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dan, that kicks ass, congratulations...! This should DEFINITELY be in General... Please take lots of pictures and have an awesome time...

3. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Be sure to check out the Ferrari museum. Very cool. When I was there, a guy pulled up in his F40. Make sure you stop in the little shops and cafes. Maranello is 100% Ferrari.

Search the site for more places to see, etc. There's lots of informative threads on this very topic.

Have fun! I'll be in Italy then end of May - I can't wait either!!!

4. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Dan,

Are you going on behalf of Cauley or just as a tourist? Hopefully you are going on behalf of Cauley. Driving an F430 on the Fiorano track while you were there would be nice. Any pictures you can take of Ferrari's on the streets of of Italy would be great. Please post the pics when you get back.

Have fun,

tom

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It is a "business trip", yes. I would love to get out on the Fiorano track, but I highly doubt I will get to do that. Just being inside the factories will blow me away.

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    When will you be there, Dan? I'm going to be in Modena/Maranello Apr 13-14 (along with some other FChatters) for the F1 test day package.

Gary

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I leave April 8th, and return home on the 13th. I have a 6am flight out on the 13th.

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    So close, but not close enough! I'll be in Frankfurt on the 12th most of the afternoon waiting for my connection to Bologna.

Gary

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Scan through the many other posts on "things to do Modena/Maranello" and that'll give you some great ideas. Have fun!

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I returned from Italy last week. Here is a review of my trip........

We stayed in Modena, at a hotel called "Real Fini". Very nice hotel, probably 4 star. I couldn't believe how tiny the elevator was, with two people in it, it was cramped! This "tiny" theme turned out to be popular there. The room was nice, small but nice. I was impressed with their lighting setup, motion sensors in the hallways and garage that light up as you approach, pretty slick.

I didn't expect such a difference with cars......I'd say 95% of all of the cars I saw are not available here. Almost all of them are diesel. Those Smart cars are all over the place...........basically 2 seats wrapped in a shell!

It was raining when we got there, and it rained every single day in Modena. Thankfully, it was nice wherever we went. On the 1st day, we went to Verona. Beautiful town with tons of old architecture, which turned out to be pretty common in Italy. Everywhere we went, there was no shortage of old architecture and gorgeous scenery. After Verona, we went to Mount Baldi, which is on a lake surrounded by mountains. We took a tram up to the snow covered top, and the view from up there was spectacular.

The second day was factory tour day. We started off at Maserati. Very modern, and very clean. Seeing the cars going from station to station, being worked on by people and not machines, was very impressive. We then headed off to Ferrari. Just seeing the gates to the entrance sent tingles down my spine. We had lunch at "Montana" before the tour - by far, the best Italian food I have ever had. There were tons of F1 memoribilia on the walls, as well as autographs. Fantastic! Before starting the tour, we went to the boutique. After leaving the boutique, we heard something driving out on Fiorano. Wasn't loud enough to be an F1 car, so I am guessing it was probably a Challenge car. The tour was fabulous, as fabulous as I expected. I saw a ton of 430s, both coupes and Spiders getting their pre-delivery test drives around the factory, as well as 612s and 575s. It was cool to see Superamericas getting built.

After the tour, we went to the F1 museum nearby. I could have spent days there! It was as impressive as the factory tour. I finally got to see a 288 GTO in the flesh, as awesome as I imagined.

The next day, we went to Florence and San Marino. Both beautiful places. Florence is not a place you want to let your wife loose with a credit card. I have never seen so many jewelry shops.

All in all, we probably drove a good 600 kilometers in 4 days. Driving on the Autostrada was amazing. 100mph almost all of the time. People respect the lanes, and get out of the way when they should. Aside from the Ferraris around the factory, I did not see any on the road. You saw the occasional S-Class Benz or 911, but not much better than that. I did see a Quatroporte driving down the main road in Modena, looked awfully good!

This was my very 1st trip to Europe, and I am now hooked! I will definitely go back.

11. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Hey,

Nice post.

Its funny that you comment on the architecture and the cars - that was the two most outstanding points I noted when I first went to the US. I couldnt belive how 'new' everything looked, and tha cars....well, I couldnt believe how HUGE they were! Funny to see you say the exact opposite when visiting Europe.

I think the best things about Europe from an Americans point of view must be how compact it is - in the space of land the size of the US, you can hear ten's of different accents, the complete spectrum of landscapes and loads of different culture. Enjoy.

Jamie

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    And one other thing..........at the end of our 1st meal at a restaurant, we were waiting for the server to pick up our money. They never did. We learned that you go to the cashier to pay, and they don't tip. Very different indeed.

13. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Tipping culture in the US is, from what I can gather, pretty unique. Tipping is almost always discretionary in Europe. Tip if you get good service, but a tip of say 10-15% would be considered good.

I was out with two US girls in London on Sat, and they said when the waited during school, 10% was a LOW tip, and really tips would be 15-20% UP!

Wow. I guess its 'cause in the US waiters dont make even minimum wage.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No kidding, especially in the clothes - shopping in Milan was a joke for a big guy.