Stock 600's in the 9's | FerrariChat

Stock 600's in the 9's

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by teak360, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was reading about the Yamaha YZF-R6 in the May Cycle World.

With less than $200 in minor mods, Rickey Gadson took a Yamaha YZF-R6 (600cc) to a 9.93 quarter mile at 135 mph.
    Total modifications:

one tooth lower gear on the countershaft sprocket
    bottom out the front suspension and hold it with tie-down straps
    swap out the stock rear suspension dogbones.

$8,400 at your local Yamaha dealer.

2. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    if thats true... there will be a lot of dead kids this summer.

3. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's called evolution.

Hopefully the ones who buy bikes they can't handle and don't treat them with respect, don't kill anyone else in the process of killing themselves.

4. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    This isn't any news really. People have been pulling 9's on the R6 since 03' when the fuel injection came out for it. Even without any shock or lowering changes, it only takes -1 off the sprocket.

Of course a crappy rider could take a turbo busa into the 13's.

5. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Ershank, Any documentation of that?

6. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Well that's a pretty ridiculous request. If I was taking my 6 to the strip every day with a gearing change, then maybe I could produce some time slips that are close. But Alas, I'm neither at the strip, possess the gearing, or have the skill required to make perfect launches down the 1/4. Thus no time slips.

There are quite a few people in the R6 community that can make the claim personally however. Keep in mind there have been no real changes to the R6 since 03', and people haven't *just* figured out that the stock gearing is too tall for the strip.

7. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There is a reason that Ricky Gadson is a pro. And these types of numbers for a 600 shouldn't surprise anyone.

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nobdy said they were surprised. When I was a kid the AA Fuelers were running in the 7's. Now kids on 36 cubic inch street bikes can get into the 9's. Though it's not surprising, it is amazing.

9. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
  10. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I though that was called natural selection, not evolution?
    If you're dumb enough.........

11. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Natural selection... is what evolution's all about...

And yes, people that buy bikes they can't handle and treat them without fear.... Are advancing our race, as long as they haven't bred yet!

12. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm very surprised. I'd have to see it to believe it. I've beaten many a 600 sport bike. From a start or a roll. Most all of them are turds. I highly doubt they are that fast with just those few mods. The Busa's on the other hand are much faster than I thought. After watching all of videos of the moded Vipers beating the moded Busa's on the Viper sites I got cocky and had my ass handed to me by one with just a few mods.

13. cobramadness

cobramadness Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't see how that's possible because my 1000 does a 10 in the 1/4.

But then again, if this $200 in minor mods includes sprocket changes then I can agree, really takes off the top end though.

14. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Doesn't surprise me - The race numbers are not all that different between 600, 750, and 1000 these days.
    Your average 600 is turning 10.5s, 750s running 10.2s, and 1000s barely breaking into the 9s. This is from sportrider:
    http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/

Makes sense that a pro with a couple well-selected mods could shave a half-second off those times.

The sportbike market is all about numbers (especially 600s) and the hondas, yamahas, kawis, and suzukis are all very competitive. I'm all for it because it means when I'm ready to buy a used VFR or CBR I'll just fish some change out of my couch cushins and not sweat the 1 second difference to the 1/4 mile.