Early 308 owners: HEADLIGHT! HELP! | FerrariChat

Early 308 owners: HEADLIGHT! HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PeterS, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have to drive at night with my high-beams on just to see. Is this normal? Is there a better round headlight that I should install? With my high-beams on, nobody ever flashes me with theirs, so I know the current lights are fairly dim.

What to do?

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I'd get yelled at if I was to contribute in the manner that seems most reasonable, so I'll just remain mute. Let's hear it for the Anti Archive Search Nazis!

So I'll just say, "Yes."

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    By NOT searching archives, I nix the chance at missing a new whiz-bang product / isda that was never posted.

How's that!

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There is nothing "wiz bang" that you need...just buy some Hella "euro" code headlights and be done with it.

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/hdlmpprc.htm#7

You will see a 200% improvement. The standard halogen 60w/55 are just fine...if you feel the need, you can sport the +50% bulbs....don't get the high watt jobs, unless you wish to rewire and add wiring and relays direct off the battery. Avoid the +100 % bulbs unless you like the "blue" ricer look.

Dave

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    But you could search the archives & find out about the true HID conversion like I installed in my 308...

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo

Peter, before you go spend a bucket of money just try some new halogen bulbs.

Lights get dim as they get old. Simply installing a new set of bulbs can make a big difference. I have Cibie lenses with standard halogen bulbs and they are plenty bright, as bright as any other car I have.

I think I used Sylvania "Bright White" or "Blue White" bulbs, (they look white, not blue).

Take a look at the reflectors inside the headlamps to see if they are discolored or corroded. If so that can be the cause of your Lucas style headlights.

I have heard of removing the headlight assemblies from the car, removing the lamps, and swirling soap scum remover (Tub and Tile Cleaner) around inside the headlamp. This brightens the reflector also.

Most importantly, bad grounds cause dim lights!

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have posted this before and I REALLY believe this is the best bang for the buck: There is a relay harness that you can buy that will solve all your problems. I'll post the name when I find the box around here this afternoon. Basically it allows you to install any bulb you want up tp 130 watts. It runs a hot wire to the battery, one to ground. It has female plugs that your headlight harness plugs into and then it plugs into the back of the new headlights. Nothing can be easier. Basically it just lets you switch realys for higher wattage bulbs instead of switching the light itself. Just this will brighten up the 55/60 a lot because the battery is feeding directly to them. You can then use any type/watt bulb you want. I have had these on all my cars since the 80's with no problems. I installed 90/130 bulbs. It lights up better then anything else out there now. I have never had a problem with traffic either because they are aimed correctly. No one has flashed me ever to dimm my lights. This is one tip you will LOVE. The harness was around $40-50. Maybe less.

8. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl

Dr. Tom, I hope you find the box, I would love to know where it came from. I built something like that from scratch for my XJS and the parts alone were more than $40, not to mention my time.

Paul

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Keep them the way they are; it's more concourse that way.

Ken

10. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    Ken,

Speaking for myself, I agree with you in that "it's more concourse that way". However I don't do shows. I bought mine to drive and at night I really like to see what I am going to hit, don't like surprises. Plus, if I can see it I might not hit it.

Paul

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I used the Dave Handa Hella light trick on mine (with the +50% bulbs) and it made a huge difference for about $100. Nothing fancy, no rewiring. Just replace the bulbs and you're done.

Verell's HID lights are COOL and bright but there is a lot more modification and cost to that approach.

Birdman

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Here is an example of the wiring harness Dr. Tommy is talking about:
    http://www.suvlights.com/ click on "headlight wire harness", you would want the one for the "H4" type bulbs. Even with stock wattage 60w-55 bulbs, this could have benefit of making sure you are getting full voltage to your bulbs.

Dave

13. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ken, in the name of G-d and Enzo... Have you ever tried driving with stock lights at night??? May as well use a flashlight or, better still, ESP!!!

Oh, wait, lemme spend $220 EACH TIRE for those lousy metric things.

Oh wait, i got a good one, how about the stock air IN the tires. You know judges will check the air IN the tires to make sure it is from Italy ;-)

Ok, i took this a bit too far. But geeeeeeeeeeeeeeze... Why on Earth would you actually WANT to keep those lousy dim stock headlights????

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The problem for some of us is that we drive them at night more then we park them on the golf course during a pretty contest.

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Yeah, guys, April Fools, really! :D

17. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    HA HA!

You so funny!

18. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Pete why haven't you asked me dammit! Convert to h4 bulbs and lens housings. Buy some Hellas And be done with it. Get 100/80w HID look bulbs preferably from PIAA. It's ricey, but their bulbs are quality. They won't burn the wiring. Out where you live, the violet in the lights will make the road reflectors 90% brighter.