BOMBSHELL: Schumacher to Retire | FerrariChat

BOMBSHELL: Schumacher to Retire

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sjb509, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Ferrari boss Jean Todt may have a sleepless night tonight, given the announcement this evening that Michael Schumacher will be retiring from Formula 1 racing immediately after an unprecedented seven World Drivers Championships and over eighty wins, by far the most in the history of the sport.

"We knew this day was going to come eventually, and I am happy for Michael. His relationship with Ferrari has been very successful, and he will always remain a part of the Ferrari family," said Todt.

Schumacher was unavailable for immediate comment but the rumor of his impending retirement ran rapidly through the paddock, this weekend racing in Bahrain. Team Scuderia Ferrari has had a rocky start to the season, with both drivers, Schumacher and teammate Brazilian Rubens Barrichello suffering setbacks in the early races of 2005.

Finally, after a crowd of media gathered around Ferrari's garage area, and a visibly shaken Ferrari Technical Director Ross Brawn addressed the crowd first, "Look guys, I won't lie to you...I'm scared...I mean like really Jaws or Excorcist scared...Michael is probably the best driver we have...I don't know what to do...somebody hold me."

None other than Michael Schumacher himself comforted Brawn, even offering one last jump into Brawn's arms, as has been witnessed a few times on the podium of Schumacher's victories. After a long embrace and handing Brawn an officially licenced Scuderia Ferrari handkerchief, Schumacher finally spoke to a silent throng of reporters.

"I would like to thank all of members of Ferrari for all of their hard work since I joined the team nearly ten years ago. Driving for Ferrari has been a privilege and honor. That I could bring the Constructor's Title back to Italy and Ferrari makes me happy for all of the fans of the team. I have carefully considered my options, and have decided that retirement is the best course for my life at this time, winning all the time has become a little bit mundane," but Schumacher then continued...

"Over the years I have numerous rivals and challengers for the title. Mika Hakkinan was the only one who really challenged me, but at the time our car wasn't very good. Hill and Jacque may have also won championships, but the Williams was so much better at that time even a driver of my immense talent couldn't make up the difference. The drivers today don't scare me at all, I've beat them while in the throes of grief, when I was sick and feverish, and even when my car was missing half of its gears. No big deal.

When asked what Michael planned to do after retirement, he added, "After a month long holiday I will begin my new position as the head of product development at Lamborghini SPA". With that Schumacher excused himself from the impromptu press conference and disappeared back into the garage area.

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    April fool's???????????????

3. drg

drg Rookie

Dec 30, 2004
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan G
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Had me up to the third paragraph.... ;)

5. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    ...the bit about my immense talent had me fall off my chair. Great spoof, well done.

6. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    had me until FOURTH paragraph :)

7. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If you guys hadn't posted the comments, I'd have started at the top, instead of the end.

Good joke though.

Art

8. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    oh man
    thats a good one. you had me goin' pretty good.

9. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Same here. Too good Steve...too good.

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    THAT IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY FUNNY

Thank God April 1 is only once a year

11. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    I almost grabbed MY Ferrari handkerchief...

12. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    i almost had a heart attack, am still alittle dizzy. DON'T DO THAT!!!

13. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    You got me! Good one!

14. yellow wheels

yellow wheels Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    clarkston, MI
    Full Name:
    marc henretta
    First thought was that since Michael is my lead driver in my fantasy F-1 league, I'd end up DNFing the rest of this season!!!

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Very good! If I hadn't read Michael's upbeat comments about the F2005 after today's Bahrain practice (on speedtv.com), I would have fallen for it myself.

But in spite of any contract, I would not be surprised if he quit at the end of 2005, win or lose.....

16. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Got me there!

17. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name: