seat dyeing-before and after with pics | FerrariChat

seat dyeing-before and after with pics

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dcup, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    #1 Dcup, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thanks to f chat member augustine, he gave me a number to an interior guy that actually makes house calls. he covers from south to central jersey. he came out to my house today and dyed my seats, turned out, i think great !!
    gave me a fantastic price and guarantees his work !! check out the pics. if anyone wants his number shoot me an email. thanks again augustine, i owe you 1 !!!!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  3. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    mike your right, but i have no patience when it comes to that stuff, for what i was charged it was well worth to me having someone do it.

4. FrankTavani

FrankTavani Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    i'd like his number. shoot me a PM if you don't mind. thx!

5. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    wow, did he use leatherique products?

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    John,

They look great! I'm glad I could help. Is that Tomatoes offer still good? ;)

7. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

Very informative as usual Mike!

Paul

8. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    abso-f-n-lutley

9. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    no, he had a van full of stuff but it wasnt leatherique, he was mixing all kinds of stuff together, when he was done dyeing he sprayed it with a clearcoat.

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    The same company did the seats in my Azzurro 328 soon after I got it. The transformation of the leather was practically perfect. It looked brand new! In addition, it was very durable. I put 11k miles on the car after that and there was no wear noticeable. And like John said, the price is very, very reasonable.

11. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    I've seen numerous threads on redying tan seats but has anyone seen it done on a red interior. Also my f-car has black piping against the red leather. Has anyone done the door panels as well to match the seats? I wonder if you could get as nice a job with red.
    Charlie

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    While I haven't done read, my experience redying with leatherique's dye makes me believe that it's fine for any color. People have definitely done tan, magnolia, & black.

The black trim is going to be a bit of a challenge. Probably cover it with masking tape while doing the red. Let the red thoroughly dry for a couple of weeks then mask around the black & dye it.

One nice thing about leatherique is that before it fully cures, it cleans up with water like latex paint.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    While my Leatherique experience is isolated to tan, I see no reason why red would be any different. Colour changes are more difficult but if you are just re-colouring an existing colour then it is quite easy. As for tips on doing the job, I strongly urge anyone to use an airbrush or some kind of spray gun for the application. I experimented with many application techniques, and while many of them were good, spray application was the best.

The door skins are best taken off the car with the arm rests and pockets removed. This results in a perfect job. As for the piping, careful masking will work here but it is a huge amount of work. Be sure to use easy release masking tape (available in the paint dept of Home Depot) as regular masking tape can lift the dye. One last thing, check to see if your piping is leather or vinyl. Leatherique will not stick well to vinyl and will require special vinyl paint.

Good luck with the project. 800 posts Wo hooo!!!!

14. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    heycharlie, this guy is able to do any color, if he dosnt have an exact match it takes him a couple of days to get the correct dye. he did say that it is a little difficult to change colors, example from a light color to a dark. it can be done but again can run into problems. my theory is to keep it original, especially in a ferrari -----305 posts, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, lollol

15. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    this stuff cleans the same way......i want to add ive never tried leathique and ive read alot of great stuff about the product, im just not the kind of guy with patience. im an instant gradification guy.

16. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    John I told you Augustine had a guy for that!!!!!!!! Looks great!
    Erik