tracking a CS, tire question. | FerrariChat

tracking a CS, tire question.

Discussion in '360/430' started by marknkidz, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Hey guys, quick question. Im going to take my CS out to Willow Springs Raceway for the first time. I was told that i could expect to toast the tires from one track day. Is this true? I'm guessing i will be on track actually driving car for say 2 hours.

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I know several guys who track their Stradales, and I haven't heard of that kind of premature tire wear. I would bet you could plan on 4 or 5 track days before they are used up.

Gary

3. George H.

George H. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    George Hoover
    I agree you should be able to get at least 4 or 5 track days with moderately aggressive driving. However, the big track at WS is VERY hard on the left rear - it's certainly possible to toast it in one day.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    mark, you might want to search for past threads discussing tire pressures for the Pirellis.

5. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Which course are running at Willow? The big track will be very tough on the Pirelli's. They are very soft. The two sweeping right handers generate alot of heat. I ran a set of Continentals on my Stradale and there was some understeer. These have a 300 treadwear number versus the 60 treadwear on the Pirelli's.

In any event I would add two pounds of air pressure front and rear and keep an eye on the tread. All else wil be fine. Brakes are of course great. The nose is very susceptible to rock chips. Have fun

6. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Thanx for the info, already had the front and rocker panels protected with the "clear bra" from envisage design in torrance. Dont know if we are going on the big track or "Streets" which do you guys recomend?

7. NobleForums

NobleForums Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    They're both great tracks in their own regard. The streets is a bit tighter, more technical track. I'm sure you'll have a blast on either.

Envisage Design Labs does a great job, huh? I got the lip done on my Noble M400 by them.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If you let the pressures of the Corsas get too high, you'll start ripping chunks of the rubber out of the tread. Do NOT let the pressures get over 34psi... hot... which means you may need to drop the pressures well under 30 cold... at my home track, I'm generally at about 26-27psi cold to hit 32-33psi hot... but that will vary based on the track. Make sure you have a good air pressure gauge and check those pressures each time you come off the track.

If you keep the pressures down, the tires can handle many track days.

9. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The streets will be easier on the tires and is technically more challenging. The big course is much faster. 140 to 145 MPH top speed depending on the day. But it is very abrasive which is why it is tough on the tires. Pirelli should have slicks available in a couple of months. There is also a new BF Goodrich tire on the Tire Rack site that I will probably try next unless Michelin has the new Pilot Sport in the correct size.

What group are you running with at Willow?

10. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    First and foremost it depends on how aggressively you drive the car, then on the abrasive nature of the track, then on how many hairpin-like turns there are vs high speed bends and finally on how you manage your tyre pressures and what the outside temp is.

I have 10 000 kms of track on my CS (14 000 in total) and have been through 8 sets of tyres. The "quickest" usage was 250 miles of track - but that was Spa with 3 major braking areas where you scrub off from 150 mph ++ 3 times per lap....

You should set your pressures at 2kg/cm2 on all 4 corners at "cold" and then keep bringing them down as they rise. Just don't forget to put them back up before you drive home!!!!

Also let your tyres warm up before you "go for it" as the car is super sensitive to tyre pressure/temp.

The Pirellis are certainly not a great tyre - but that is all that is available for the time-being. With the advent of the 430 Challenge race car we will have access to slicks and that will change everything.

If you are a track person, it is also worth changing the negative camber and ride height of the car. I have -2deg of neg camber and we have played with the height too and while the car is not as pleasant on the open road it is transformed on the track. Drove a "standard" CS and mine back-to-back at Dijon the other day and the difference was night and day ( approx. 3 secs/lap) and the wear on the tyres was of course more even.

good luck and enjoy

11. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Ducati, Im getting about 10-15 guys together and renting out the track privately.

12. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #12 Jack(LA), Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark -- you'll have an absolute blast! The CS tires will do just fine, but do heed the HOT tire pressure recommendations given above. Have fun. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hi Mark, Send me a PM if you want to. I would be interested in joining you if the date works.

14. NobleForums

NobleForums Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    Oh, one other thing you may want to do. Run by your local Costco. Dump all of the air from your tires, and refill there. They use nitrogen; they converted over about a year ago, at least most of them. Nitrogen will not heat up and expand as much as standard air, giving you better control over your pressures.

15. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Just wondering Chalstrad what you mean by the car not being as pleasant on the open road with -2deg of neg camber. how do you swithch or adjust the ride height?
    Regards
    Alex

16. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    #16 watt, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Great photos!

18. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Alex

With the negative camber the car tends to "wander" more easily - especially when the road surface is not too smooth. So you are constantly making slight steering corrections,

As to the ride height: firstly the negative camber actually lowers the car a bit.But we went over the whole set up taking into consideration the weight distribution per wheel (including the effect of my 86 kgs!!) and at the end of the day thecar is slightly lowered. There is less wheel travel but far greater steering precision. Motricity out of slow corners significantly improved too.

rgds

19. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    thanks
    alex