Newbie Needs Advice on Clear Bra | FerrariChat

Newbie Needs Advice on Clear Bra

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by yellow wheels, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellow wheels

yellow wheels Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    clarkston, MI
    Full Name:
    marc henretta
    Guys, looking to purchase my first f-car, 1999 355 GTS F-1 and was wondering what your opinions are on the clear bras?

Is one brand better than others? The dealer here says 3M is the best.
    Do you have to apply it when the car is brand new, or can it be applied to a very clean 1999 model?
    Any idea how much these clear bra kits sell for?
    Can you get the "stuff" off without damaging the paint's finish?

Thanks guys, I'd love to hear from you.

marc

2. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I like my clear bra. I used these guys, www.envisagedesignlabs.com. They did a great job for me. They can answer all your technical questions. If you do a search for "clear bra" you'll come up with others as well. My car is titanium and it's very difficult to see the bra. The bra has saved me from a lot of rock chips. I love the way it feels too. :) Good Luck.

Jon

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    There is an entire thread regarding these items, with the names specs etc. Check the archives.

Art

4. PristineAutowerks

BANNED

Jan 30, 2005
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey Marc.

I can help you. Give me a call, i will be able to answer all your questions.

Chris@ PristineAutowerks
    914-393-5967

5. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Don't know if it's better than the others. Mine was installed in '02 and have been pleased.

6. ferrari_jjc

ferrari_jjc Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2004
  7. Premier Protective Films

Premier Protective Films Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    Marc,
    Yes, the film could be removed w/o any adverse affects to the paint. As for pricing, it will depend on a few things:

1. local area competition
    2. value of installation (those true perfectionists generally charge more than the other guys..........especially those new to the industry) - here we charge anywhere from $800-$1500 for the standard coverage and up to $9000 for an entire car. There are companies in our area that charge well under $400 for such an installation............needless to say, you get what you pay for.
    3. type of film used.........the clearer films generally cost more to install because it is tougher to use a film that doesn't exhibit much orange peel while a company like 3M and Clearshield uses film that still has the orange peel texture that shows up the most on darker colored vehicles. Clearer films do not hide installation flaws while film with a lot of texture holds up better to heat gun usage, stretching, etc.

Here's an example of installation quality variance...........this is a 997S we redid a few wks ago, where the customer found a local installer to have the clear bra done.......the guys pretty much told him that the lifting is normal......btw, the film already lifted and many wrinkles were there when the customer went to pick up his car - http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=191529&highlight=clear+bra

- cost of this installation - $500
    - cost of ours - $1000 film installation + film and residue removal $150 + to have us travel 6 hrs round trip $250
    - having it done right the first time - priceless :)

8. yellow wheels

yellow wheels Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    clarkston, MI
    Full Name:
    marc henretta
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of your opinions. I'll be calling soon.

marc