Car Alarm Question | FerrariChat

Car Alarm Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cavallo_nero, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I am contemplating on getting a car alarm for my 308 after it gets out of the body shop. It will have completely new paint, and i want to deter any vandals from tampering with the car, keying, or going for a joyride. Although the shift lock looks good, it wont stop keying, or towing on a flatbed. a while ago i saw a demonstration on the 'perimeter alarms' for cars that will 'speak up with a warning message in a stern voice' if an intruder gets too close to the car. anyone have any comments on this type of alarm, or have any suggestions on anything else for an alarm???? i have no idea how much these type of alarms cost installed. thx
    john
    78 308 GTS Euro

2. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
    I do this type of work for a living actually. Well, mostly home a/v but we have worked on some cars and just finished with an alarm on my '90 348ts. The big reason for the alarm for me is that the door locks don't work (just purchased the car) and I needed a small fix. The perimeter alarm works well and then if they get closer the alarm will go off if tampering occurs. Most installers have their own opinions on what is best, but I would be concerned with the installation quality almost more. Tweeter is a large company (they purchased many small companies) and would be great if they are in your area. I would try to get in touch with the installation manager or the installer directly and see what kind of exotics they have worked on. They guy that did mine has worked on a number of exotics before and did an amazing job. Expect to pay $200-$300 for a good alarm and probably another $200 for a good installation. Good luck!

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    First, have your paint shop supply you with a few small jars of matching touch-up paint.

Scratches are a fact of life if you actually drive this car. Stone chips, doors in parking lots, runaway shopping carts, a bit of grit on the wash sponge, or even your own groping for the key lock in the dark, and you can wind up with a mark to fill.

In an urban environment, proximity alarms are just silly, as there will be people passing a parked car -- warning tones are just noise pollution. And in many environments, a talking car is a novelty that might have kids playing with it.

There's nothing more annoying -- to you or your neighbors -- than having to go out at 2AM to reset a car alarm set off by the first frost. I used to see this a lot in New England -- especially in GM factory alarms on trucks and SUVs.

Which brings us to why alarms are no deterrant to car theft rings: "The boy that cried 'wolf'". Ever see the (forgettable) flick "Collision Course" with Jay Leno and Pat Morita? When the house alarm goes off, Leno isn't worried -- eventually, someone yells "shut that s*** off!". That's about it.

Nobody pays any attention to car alarms anymore. A recovery system can be useful for less than pro car snatches, but noise makers just produce noise.

But in any aftermarket installation, be sure to get serious documentation. And that's tough to get with most alarm or recovery system installs: "Security" becomes an excuse for p*ss-poor documentation.

But try debugging an electrical issue in about three or four years with a couple of undocumented stereo or alarm installations. You don't want to go there.

So check your installers beforehand: No wiring diagram, no books: no way.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Don't buy an alarm. Buy a red LED that winks and a switch from Radio Shack. Hook it to a live wire and mount it in plain sight. Alarms have many drawbacks, not to mention a botched installation.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Have to agree. You can buy a flashing LED at Radio Shack for $10 or $12. For another $6 or so, purchase a relay that is on, except when energized. Wire it to your ignition so it will activate when you shut off the car, and turn off when you are driving. I did this on my Honda, worked great. Never had to deal with a real alarm falsing, yet had the bright flashing light for a deterent. Had that car for 5 or 6 years, never had it broken in to.

If you do go with an alarm, take the advice of finding a very competent shop to install it. My mechanic says he gets plenty of Ferraris that come in with electrical problems and "no start" issues related to faulty alarm installs.

6. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    gotta agree with last two posts, alarms are just an irritant. a led with relay works just fine for non pros and if they are really good pros NOTHING will stop them.