360....any weak point??? | FerrariChat

360....any weak point???

Discussion in '360/430' started by Pong, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I am thinking about buying 360 soon. I woud like to know if it has any weak point or not. What year to avoid? Any specific weakness in the engine? How's F1 system holding up? What is the usual life of a clutch?

Any information regarding the 360 would be apreciated... I currently own 512TR and some how the classic 12 just aren't my type of car. I am thinking 360 would suit me better as I plan to use it often and probably track it at least twice a year.

Oh...I live in thailand, does the 360 take the hot temperature well? I drove it in Bangkok traffic once and the car seems perfectly happy, but what about repeated use?

Any comment or need-to-know infor are welcome...:)

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is tons of info in the archives. Look up 360, variator, F1, clutch. You will be reading for days. If you still have any questions come back.

Cooling system is very good but if you are going to track it in that temp/humidity situation a bigger oil cooler might be in order. This can be a hot area and I have seen many cases of pegged oil temp gauges. Over there it might be worse.

3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    360 great car. As a daily driver, only weak points for me (if you can call them that) is the car needs about 10 - 15 minutes and 10 miles or so to really warm up. Manual transmission doesnt like upshifting into second gear when cold. Usually have to shift first to third for the first few miles. Scrapes on everything. gets lots of attention. parking can be a problem. One time I pulled into parking lot with one way entrance, then found out all exits had speed bumps that I couldnt get over so I had to back out the way I came. people like to tailgate you just so they can get close enough to take a picture with their cell phone. potholes and crappy roads suck. NO CUPHOLDERS. Not good for Starbucks junkies like me.

Even with all that I love every single day I drive my 360 to work, no regrets whatsoever.

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Cam Variators, make sure they are updated if you have the wrong s/n. It's a for real problem and the cost to fix if they let loose is about $12-15k. Other than that, the price is the only real weak point. Beats a 911 for fun by a factor of 5 IMHO.

5. Modena Scotland

Modena Scotland Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Scotland, UK
    Full Name:
    Mass
    It is popular to have a rear challenge grill installed and fit more heat efficient sport exhaust such as Tubi and Capristo to combat hot summer in Japan. I know, Thailand is much hotter and humid so it may be good idea to think about the above if you have hot engine bay problem.

I live in Scotland so the heat is not a problem, so far I am very happy with the 360 and I think it must be one of the best Ferraris to use daily. As has been mentioned, it does attract too much attentions so you must be careful where you park.

6. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

The guy drive's a 512 TR...I would think that it would attract more attention in one of those and it would be more of an issue parking then a 360.

I drive a Stradale and so far there have been no issues with the car...I love it :)

7. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    fwiw, more humidity doesn't mean the engine will run hotter. Humidity doesn't affect inanimate objects the way it does people. So driving around in humid Thailand will be no worse than driving around in arid Arizona!

8. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Thank you for all the comments guys....please keep them coming.

I don't like attention, and my 512 is black so very few notice it anyway. However, majority of 360 in Thailand is red, I think I will have to get used to some attention.

My brother once owned the 360 and sold it rather quickly, sighting that it's not his type of car...ha ha, I didn't have the budget to buy it from him then.

I will search the 360 to find some readings....thank again. And if you have anything to add, please feel free to do so.

9. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Only my knees -- every time I even think about driving mine! Great car.

10. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    The only concern I had with my 360 with f1 was that the f1 when cold still changed quickly and did not seem to nurse the gear changes whilst cold. Maybe they have a built in "be gentle" mode when cold but i could not notice any change in shift speed when cold or hot. therefor when cold this computor just changes the gear cold heartedly whereas I would baby it when cold as i do now with my 355 manual. Just my 2c worth. tony

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    my $6 alarm clock radio bought at target sounds better than the stereo system in my 360 :)

12. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Turn it down the music and listen to the music made from Maranello..Its so much better!

13. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I bet my 550's stereo sounds worse than yours!! umm...wanna sell your
    Target radio? Maybe I can tape it to the dash*

14. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I was reading about the cam variators and wondering if Ferrari ever fix this problem from the factory??? I couldn't find this infor when I was reading a few treads about it. Please tell me if somebody know.

If yes, what year was it done?

If no, then Ferrari, you suck....ha ha ha.

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

no way, man. i know better :D

james, your point about the tubi sounds is valid but after my eardrums go numb from the vibration from behind the firewall it's nice to have a little real music and "decent" sound to listen to...