512 TR IDLE ADJUSTMENT | FerrariChat

512 TR IDLE ADJUSTMENT

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ExcelsiorZ, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    My 512 TR is idling at 1200 rpms when hot. With nearly $3 a gallon for gas, I'd like it down where it should be! I've turned what appear to be idle screws in all the way, both on the air flow meters and in the centers of the manifolds on each side (total of four screws) but with no effect. Any ideas? Or do I just have a vacum leak somwhere.

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    its $8 a gallon in the uk so you are lucky

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are using the tach to make that determination it is probably OK. Those tachs almost always read high at idle by a couple of hundred RPM. Besides more gas evaporates out of that car than a 100 RPM idle change will change it.

4. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    I know it sounds crazy, but make sure the throttle pedal isnt fouling on the carpets, this turned out to be my problem..........................

5. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    and mine. But I dont think there is a manual adjustment. One possibility is that the throttle cable is fouling on something not allowing the throttle to return to the zero position. I think the ECU sets the RPM otherwise.

6. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thanks. I talked to a very very good Ferrari mechanic today. Everything (carpet) is clear and the throttles are not improperly tight. Seems the cars have two bosch electronic idle controls. Could be one of them sticking open. Time to explore.

$8 a gallon? Imperial gallons are larger? Gas in Europe is cheaper than that. Get this, in China its like $1.30. So, you see what gas can sell for when the government controls its distribution!