360 exhaust valve revisited, pics again! | FerrariChat

360 exhaust valve revisited, pics again!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bill Oxley, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    I am very intrigued by the previous post of the 360 exhaust valve that can be overridden by disconnecting the electrical connection to the valve circuit, on both L and R sides.

However, the previous post pictures were apparently lost in the redo of the server change over, so I thought I’d try to accomplish two things:

First, to make sure I was focused in on the correct plug that needs to be disconnected, and

Second, to add a couple of pics to help me and other F-chatters make sure we’re going in the right direction on this.

So, here the first pic: Coupe, ‘03, right side, the plug/valve circled in red: http://www.luoxley.com/valve2.jpg

2nd pic: the connector; ?? assuming this is the correct valve and the correct electrical connection, do we disconnect it at the green or the red arrow?

http://www.luoxley.com/valve1.jpg

Please help with all comments.

2. zorzos

zorzos Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Greece
    Your pictures are the same, this is the right side connector, the left side is under a grey plastic thing and it is the exactly same connector like the right one. I did that yesterday and it was very cool ! But we are sure that nothing hurts the car, aren't we?

3. warrent

warrent Karting

Nov 2, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Warren Tsang
    Your photo links don't work. Can anyone get a definitive working photo? Are the connectors you disconnect in the engine bay or under the car. Thanks.

4. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It's not an electrical connection, but the vacuum line from the by-pass valve that you want to disconnect. The by-pass valve is attached to/part of one of the exhaust pipes just back (~12-18") from the tips -- one for the left and right. Easy to see on the Cs, but not so on the 360.

Btw, can't view your photos to give you a direct answer to your question.

The only negative might be a slight loss of bottom-end torque. ;)

5. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    My hosting server was down for about 24 hours, sorry about that. The pics are back up now, so let's start again with any comments.

I still need info on how to disconnect, see pics please, thanks, Bill

6. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Sorry, Bill -- can't help you with that one.

In my case, that's not the by-pass valves/vacuum lines the dealer disconnected to open up the exhaust on my old 360. I'll take a photo of the by-pass exhaust valves on my CS and post it later -- location of the by-pass valve is different than your 360 (due to the CS muffler being smaller) but the actual valve and vacuum lines do look the same. The valve I'm talking about is actually attached to one of the exhaust pipes exiting the muffler just back from the tips. You probably need to pull a rear wheel and fender liner to see it clearly or drop the rear under panel.

7. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Having done some extensive research on this i have come to the conclusion that the exhaust valve is only closed when the car is cold and the system needs to warm up quickly to bring the cats and the car to operating temp. After that the valve remains open at all times. You will notice a better exhaust tone at start up and thats it... the rest of the time it will be the same. Leave the system alone since it does nothing when you remove it.

8. zorzos

zorzos Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Greece
    Sorry, but i have to disagree with you because the sound at low rpm is different regardless the car is warm or cold, yes when you start it the difference is more louder but it remains louder anytime.

9. Free

Free Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Scurry, Texas
    Full Name:
    Duane Baker
    Bill, the red arrow in the pic is the connector that you unplug. It has a wire safety latch that you have to depress to remove that black plug.

I disconnected mine and it immediately let the exhaust come out of each tail pipe. You will notice that while it is connected only the interior of the two tail pipes has exhaust coming out of it.

I didn't think it improved the sound that much although it was a bit louder.

I elected to keep the connection connected cus I am not sure leaving it off would not hurt anything.

10. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    free, I'm with you, I really don't, after disconnectiing both electrical connections, see that much difference.

So, I guess I'll go with the stock set up.

But thanks all for the input.

Bill

11. Splatter

Splatter Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Maybe somebody who is a bit more into tuning will know better than I but here goes anyway:
    I would have thought that opening up both tailpipes would reduce backpressure, which at low rpm with the high overlap cams a Ferrari has (guessing here) would actually be detrimental to bottom end torque. At high rpm where you want minimum backpressure they would be open anyway.
    So all I see you get from disconnecting them is the pleasure of annoying your neighbours