330 engine interchangeability | FerrariChat

330 engine interchangeability

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BarnFound330, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarnFound330

BarnFound330 Karting

Feb 1, 2005
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vince Bobba
    I am about to start disassembly of my 330 engine and am wondering if a table exists anywhere delineating interchangeable parts between engines. I was told today by the people at Carrillo that 308, 328 and 512 rods are the same; is this true? What are the others? Has anyone come up with a "most" desireable internal engine set up to increase hp and not compromise durability? Anyone gone to a 6 carb set up, or is that asking for trouble(and way too many $)? Thanks! Vince

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Interchangeability is a common feature on 308 and up Ferrari motors. On your motor I would be less inclined to switch around parts, there would be no benefit. Going to higher compression, Carillo rods and a different cam grind would produce good results though. On the cam grind Ferrari produced many good ones and a company like Web cam has patterns for many available. On the carbs many of the fastest, most powerful 2 cam motors had 3 so I would leave that configuration.

3. BarnFound330

BarnFound330 Karting

Feb 1, 2005
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vince Bobba
    Thanks, I am going to stop in and say hi to Dema and ask the cam profile question as well. Are their any piston suppliers and cr's to consider? Any Jetting for the 40 DFI"s. Vince

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pistons CP and JE. I would consider around 10:1 and attach them to Carillo rods.
    On the cams have a look at the various 10mm lift options. I recently built a 250 Cal Spyder motor with actual overall duration of about 290 with 103 lobe centers. They were the original factory grind and though that was an inside plug motor I rather liked the cams and felt in a better breathing head they would be very good. If your 330 is one of the heavier 2+2's with tall gearing you might consider keeping the lift high and going to a little less duration to improve the torque.

5. BarnFound330

BarnFound330 Karting

Feb 1, 2005
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vince Bobba
    Its a GTC any thoughts on a nice cam grind? 10:1 sounds good, I am probably going to bore 30 over is that reasonable? Are the 40 DFI's as is okay? Thanks

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I would leave the carbs as is for now and tune as required.

On cylinder size you should determine the amount of wear and find a size that will clean up the cylinders that is also an off the shelf size for a good quality ring. I usually use Sealed Power. Pistons can be made any which way but it is more complicated with rings. I tend to get conservative with boring because they already distort some and the thinner you go it can become a problem. Leave the liners in the block and bore them there with torque plates installed to replicate the distortion done by an installed head. The cam grind I mentioned earlier should be good but if you want a little more torque give it a little less duration. I really like the 10mm lift no matter the duration. Talk to the guys at Web Cam also. Not sure what part of the country you are in but if you need a machine shop that is very reasonable that is equipped and familiar with doing what I mentioned let me know.

7. BarnFound330

BarnFound330 Karting

Feb 1, 2005
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vince Bobba
    Thanks again. I'm in the Bay Area too and would appreciate any machine shop leads. This is my first Ferrari; I have done several 356's previously. 650.208.7861 [email protected]. I'll explain the issues with this engine! Vince