Schumacher vs Rossi | FerrariChat

Schumacher vs Rossi

Discussion in 'F1' started by T.O. Dino, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Schumacher does dominate F1 but do you think he would do as well switching teams? Rossi did it to Motogp proving to the world that he is the greatest rider and it is not only the car/bike that wins races but the rider/ driver also plays a huge role in it. Should Schumacher do the same to really prove that he is the greatest driver or should he just go on winning races just because, with no real point to prove? Just curious what peaple think.

2. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    he has already done that, first championship was in a benneton.

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    He does not have anything left to prove - he is certainly one of the Top 5 drivers of alltime in anyone's books. He has won the 1994 championship and also won races in 1992 and 1993 when he didn'y have the best car. He won three races in 1996 is a sh*t car and nearly won 1997 in an inferior car.

Motoring commentators have mentioned that the F1 driver only contributes to between 25% - 33% of the overall car performance. I do not know what the percentages are for MotoGP but I am sure the driver makes a bigger difference.

4. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Definitely bike riders play a bigger role in the machine's perfomance, it is much more physical.

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

The Benneton was a good car, illegal but good and Senna had just been Killed. Doesn't count in my book, he didn't beat the best, he lucked into the title in 94.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Whatever ... but he still changed teams AFTERWARDS and made Ferrari win.

It took a little longer and thus you could say that MS did a much harder/cleverer achievement than Rossi.

Rossi simply changed to the 2ND best team and then won ... if MS had simply gone to McLaren he would have won the next year too, etc.

I have huge respect for Rossi, but MS's achievements with Ferrari in the late 90's and the year 2000 are WAY greater than what Rossi did. Remember Rossi's core team also went to Yamaha ... thus the only thing changed was who was paying the bills ...

Pete

7. riccajus

riccajus Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Justin Riccardi
    i am a big supporter of both schumacher & rossi, but in my view rossi has the edge, when he switched to 500cc the honda team was in dissaray, i remember rossi saying it was not good at all, they didnt have any direction, i think it was criville who was the rider and just wanted more and more power. Rossi develped the bike and won the championship, then the change to 1000cc limit. Who was the rider in charge of develpoing the best bike in the motogp class? Rossi. He won another couple of championships. Then the switch to yamaha. The yamaha hadnt won a race for years, and what did rossi do? Another championsip. Rossi could have done a Doohan and stayed with honda and won the next 15 championships in a row, but he went for the challenge.

If Rossi does the switch to F1 and wins races, maybe even a championship like the riders did in the olden days, then he will be with out a shadow of a doubt the greatest of all time.

8. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Doohan also toyed with the idea of changing teams a couple of times, but decided against it for whatever reason. Suzuki or Yamaha would have no doubt also paid him millions.

BTW, the Yamaha was not the second best bike on the grid in 2003, that would have been Ducati. Yamaha was clearly third-rate and slipping fast to the Suzuki and Kawasaki ranks. Podiums were rare for Yamaha in 2003. Rossi didn't just win last year, he basically dominated winning nine races, and if not for a crash would have had the title wrapped up two races early.

An appropriate analogy would be Schumacher changing from Ferrari to Jaguar or Sauber last year and winning the title in his first year.

John Surtees has been quoted as saying that Rossi has the potential to be F1 champion as well. Hopefully we will get to find out.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ferrari was the equivalent to Sauber when MS went to them ... and the difference is that the rider on a bike is more of the equation than a driver of a car. Thus Rossi's brilliance on a bike can overcome more of the failings of the machine than MS's brilliance in the cockpit of a car.

Bikes don't have aero issues ... just drag. Unfortunately nowadays if you have not got a decent aero package in F1, well, er, you might as well stay home. It took something like 5 years for Ferrari to learn the art of aero and reached McLarens (and surpass) level.

Pete

10. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    F1 is a team sport and Michael is part of the Ferrari TEAM!
    Drivers do not win world championships, teams do!

Michael has nothing left to prove... He already won two titles with Benetton and then he moved to Ferrari where he has won 5 more.

Fact of the matter is that Michael has already done what you are asking him to do!

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree!.

Pete

12. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Yeah but the core of the Benneton team went to Ferarri as well. Ferrari had boat loads of money but was very badly run. When everything else gets factored in, it actually took Schu quite a bit of time to get them right. Rossi did it right off the bat. I hate to sound like I'm Schumy bashing, i think he's great, but the truth is he a tad overrated. The fact that he had no real competition, a teammate that wasn't allowed to race him and no Hakk to fight with flattered him greatly.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I agree with that and like Doohen he will be remembered as the WC with no opposition more than the greatest.

If I had not watched him perform miracles in the absolute pieces of **** his first Ferrari were I would not rate him at all ... but in those years we saw something special, and we saw a bit of it in the Benetton days too.

Pete

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

15. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely ... bugger!@!

Pete

17. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Neither Rossi or Schumacher have to prove anything. They are respectively the best in their fields of racing and there are no two ways about it. Comparing the two is inevitable, but objective comparisons are impossible. An interesting factor to throw in is that an F1 car, while not requiring as much physical movement from the driver, it subjects the driver to much higher forces. That said, a motorcycle rider is operating on, maybe an eighth of the contact patch an F1 car has and has no traction-enhancing downforce. BTW, in my mind, Rossi is more impressive. He shows emotion that MS seems devoid of. He is right next to Petter Solberg in rootability.

18. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Exactly....

19. emerckx53

emerckx53 Rookie

Sep 15, 2004
    Schumacher did beat Senna head to head and Senna was not exactly over the hill at that time. Senna did not posess the team building skills of MS. Could never have stayed with a team long enough or had the patience to do it. He was a phenomenal, talented enigma-

20. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    I find that MotoGP is far more interesting to watch than F1, but I agree that there is no fair way to compare Shu and Rossi.

21. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Rossi is the Fing man. Enough so that I’m contemplating driving 3000 miles (each way) this summer to see him at Laguna, despite the fact that I don’t even own a street bike (grew up on motocross bikes). Schumi’s cool, I’m glad that I can tell my grandkids I saw him race, but I would have liked to see Senna more if I could have. Rossi is just chill, I just can’t picture going out on the town with him and not having something ridiculous / fun / funny happen. Kind of like one of the guys. Schumi though I feel like you would go get sushi and then sit somewhere, quietly, and talk about Caribbean investments. I think you guys have covered the impossibilities of comparing their performances, but Rossi has the character card on Schumi without a doubt.

22. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    #22 Anthony_Ferrari, Apr 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree that Rossi is amazing, and the perception is that he is probably the more fun guy in private, however these pitures prove that Michael also knows how to let his (rosso) hair down!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

When did this happen? In 93 Senna won 5 races compared to MS's 1 with Ford engines. Mclaren using customer V8s which were not as stout as the factory teams' engines till the end of the year when Ron Dennis did a deal with Ford and Benneton. In 94 Schumacher beat him in Brazil, Aida, Senna was taken out in the first corner and we all know what happened at Imola. Once again, Schumacher beat him in Brazil with an Illegal car. Doesn't count as far as i'm concerned. You may have a point with the team building skills but he was always looking for the best car. Then again every team he ever drove for loved him.

24. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    And who has better hair, be honest, look at those side burns?
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tinthethao.com.vn/images/images423667_rossischumi.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tinthethao.com.vn/inc_contents.asp%3FCat_ID%3D24%26news_id%3D558&h=200&w=300&sz=17&tbnid=6bQGBPfUZUoJ:&tbnh=74&tbnw=111&start=186&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvalentino%2Brossi%26start%3D180%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN[/QUOTE]

I certainly wouldn't expect Michael to ever win any style contests. When he's not in his Ferrari uniform he looks like he's been dressed by his Mum! I was just pointing out that he is not the Germanic robot he is sometimes portrayed as. I admit that he is nowhere near the flamboyant crowd-pleaser that Rossi is, but he is human!