Ford Thunderbird 200? | FerrariChat

Ford Thunderbird 200?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Miura Jota, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    was it a failure?
    I have no idea how many cars they intented to sell
    but did the Thunderbird meet it's expectations?

personally I always found it overrated and overpriced?

2. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I'm guessing you meant 2001 or something not just 200
    The new thunderbirds, I don't know how well they did but I've seen a lot driving around even today after they are a couple years old. They did well in Ohio.

3. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Dexter, MI USA
    Full Name:
    Craig Kenfield
    Seems to me they had planned on killing it before now, it was never intended to be a long term model.

I always liked it for what it was, a cruiser. No one intended it to be a sports car. I designed the exhaust on it, and was told they didn't want the sound to promise anything the car couldn't deliver. "Casual sporty" was the term they used.

We had a supercharged version at work for a while. I always hoped they'd produce a few of them, but apparently it never panned out.

4. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I have to be one of the youngest owners (mid twenties,) of the car considering its location. I bought one for my home in SW Florida where 80 year olds driving their Caddies to Walmart are as abundant as palm trees. I had to purchase it in New York and drive it down because at the time, most my midwest and Florida dealers were out of stock and asking for wild pricing.

I don't regret the purchase at all. For what is it, as DesmoDog pointed out, it is just a cruiser. Its performance can only be desribed as smooth, nothing one would ever say "wow" to. Cheap roof, rolly turn feel, decent stock stereo, and to me the back always looked like it was dipping down too much, ( Lincoln Towncar spare parts? )

My fiancee can drive it with no problems. Rides along the gulf front with the top down can not be beat. Best experience was when an older couple commented to me while at a light that their first date was in a car just like mine but 40 years previously. They followed a happy glance at each other with a little kiss. As Im engaged and have to think more seriously about life, it was a fun moment in comparison to flying around in my Maranello worrying how the F1 shifting is holding up.

Overall I do not regret owning one. I think location is key for this car, ( California, Florida, ocean coasts, ) and its use as just a cruiser. Quality of the car is nothing to be amazed at and I think the looks are decent but not great. For all those performance freaks this car will never be the one. There are a 100 better cars out there for the same price but this one works for me.

RocketBoy

5. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Karting

Mar 23, 2005
    Raleigh, NC - USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Good friend of mine bought a 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster and loves it. I've driven it a few times - I'm 6'2" and find the headroom lacking with the top (hard or soft) up, and the driving legroom lacking as well. Needs another two inches both ways to be comfortable for me.

Nice car, just not my style - I prefer the hood to be slightly longer than the trunk, not vice-versa.

Just my two cents...

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    The new mustang is a boomer excess vehicle for the people born in the 50's

The t-bird ia the boomer excess vehicle for the people born in the late 40's.

In five years ford will make another throwback car for boomers born in the 60's.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    As long as there are 55 year old slightly overweight, plastic surgerized interior decorators/doctor's wives/Wayne Newton fans there will always be a place for the T-bird.

Notice I didnt say Dentist's wives? :)

8. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I hope they aren't going to re-attempt the Mustang II.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It was rated one of the bigger automotive flops in the last ten years..right next to the Aztec. Butt ugly car from any angle..it was dated before it was even built.

Checkered pants and pocket protectors only, need apply for one of these. We had one at the dealer for six months..not even so much as a phone call for it. So off it went to the auction..came back nobody wanted it..so we finaly sold it to a guy in the states over the phone. It was a mint car..but no takers..I can't imagine why..