To all Modena owners | FerrariChat

To all Modena owners

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Tuteboureh Ofrenaj, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tuteboureh Ofrenaj

Nov 10, 2004
    Lausanne (CH)
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I discovered almost by accident (thanks to M Donati in Vevey...) that all Modenas have an Achille's heel that need to be cured to avoid complete destruction of the engine. This is done as a normal "upgrade" campaign by Ferrari, but of course you've got to know... It has to be replaced with a more robust unit, which requires an engine-out job.
    The thing is called in French "variateur de phase des arbres à came". Which I have no clue how to translate in english.
    Camshafts phase variator ? ...

Whatever, especially if like me you bought your car 2nd-hand, get it checked !

2. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    when did the factory discover this problem?

One would assume that after the discovery they changed the part so 360s build after that date would not this problem.

3. Tuteboureh Ofrenaj

Nov 10, 2004
    Lausanne (CH)
    Full Name:
    Franck
    looks like it is indeed a known problem. Thing is, I hope this will be free of charge as the garage guys told me... We'll see.

4. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Carugatti (Geneva) gave me a very detailed explanation of this well known issue that affect only certain F360. The story I have been told (I had the chance to read the letter that Ferrari Nyon sent back in reply to the customer complain) is terrible !!

The customer went for the 1st annual service of his new F360 only a few months late (ie 1-3 only). Unfortunately, this owner suffered from the engine failure you described.

The guy asked Ferrari to repair the engine under warenty. They simply deny because the car has not been services as per the user manual (you should read : ON TIME)!!! YES Franck, I read myself the original letter from Ferrari Nyon !!! So it's not a urban legend.

It's - from my standpoint - totaly unacceptable since Ferrari would have replaced the defect "variateur de phase des arbres à came" free of charge. Interesting, isn't?

Christophe.

5. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    For years 360s were failing all over the world for this particular problem and Ferrari denied anything wrong with the equipment. There are many threads here on FChat for your review...While at the same time the Challenge cars were upgraded twice for the same defective parts as well as the cam belt tensioners. So yes, this is known problem and finally last year Ferrari issued a technical bulletin to replace the defective parts as long as the owners were ready to pay for part of the service. Still better than nothing and I feel bad for those whom had their variators and/or tensioners break and cost tens of thousands of $ in damages and many weeks out of service.

Ferrari will try to find whatever they can to deny legitimate warranty claim. So as an owner you must be prepared to play the game per their rule, which means service the car per their recommended manual, or it's your word against them.