77 308 -- my bonnet pull cable broke! | FerrariChat

77 308 -- my bonnet pull cable broke!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greg328, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Anybody have any experience replacing the pull cables to the front bonnet on a 308? Mine broke off at the chrome lever today, and I'm wondering what to do to fix it...

My guess is to remove left front wheel, accessory cover, and have a look.
    Beyond that, no idea....

If I were to replace the cable, can I go aftermarket? The current one seems to be sheathed in black plastic. How do you measure for perfect length/tension.....? The cable attachment at the chrome lever (inside cabin, on wheel well) looks like it was welded onto the bolt...

Inquiring minds want to know!!

TIA,
    Greg

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Very kind of you..

I did a search, and only found one slightly-related thread.....

Thanks again,
    Greg

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Greg, you've looked for the secondary pull cable (under dash near door), right?
    Philip

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    yep, I already knew about it, and used it. I need to replace the broken main cable now, that's my challenge of the moment.

This car seems to present a new challenge every so often. I also pulled my non-functional Veglia clock out to try and repair......

Greg

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Can you access latches to undo bonnet by using a small screw driver front leading edge of windscreen?

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yes,
    but I think to pull the cable and replace, you need full access from the side/bottom.....

Greg

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    You should be able to pull the old cable out of the jacket.
    Once you have it out, measure it's length, & diameter. Then buy a similar bicycle/motorcycle control cable, or stainless steel aircraft cable from www.mcmaster.com.

The ring connector that mounts to the lever is crimped onto the cable. Should be able to get similar crimp-on rings from an aircraft or sailing supply. They may even have the cable & crimp the ring on for you.

Then push the new cable thru the existing jacket. Probably will have to solder the strands on the end you're pushing thru together so whey won't snag inside the jacket.
    Alternatively, purchase a new cable from ferrari.uk.

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell,
    When you say "pull the old cable out of it's jacket", you don't mean the black plastic sheath that the cable is encased in, do you?

Any tips on how to remove the latch-side end, under the bonnet, without altering the length?

TIA,
    Greg

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thank you again, Verell, for the info. I'm sure I'll get with you again as I begin to tackle this problem....

Much appreciated..

Greg