150 MPH today in my Z8 - with top down!!! | FerrariChat

150 MPH today in my Z8 - with top down!!!

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Cielo, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 Cielo, Apr 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    matched my top speed in the Ferrari, under completely different circumstances. Today, I had time for the Alpina to max out. With the F Car I hit 550 on a fairly short stretch of 2 lane road. But regardless, this was fun too. Big open 4 lane highway through rural Hill Country area of central Texas. We went on the Hill Country Z drive with 60 or so BMW Z roadsters - including two Z8s. The Alpina was very happy on the twisty roads, but my wife wasn't (there were some tears and clutching of door handles). But, the sport she was, she did manage to snap this pic today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    :eek: :eek: JET POWER? :eek: :eek:

3. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

Steve,

Very cool pic!

4. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    NIIICCCEEEE!!

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    OK, now lets see you do it in your F250!

;)

6. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve

No jets, Texas County road, rough, had to sit right on the centerline with the Fcar. I had a straight run, maybe 3/4 mile then a hard right. Used all of it. With the Z8 I had probably a mile and a half of gently rolling 4 lane road. No breaking required other than gently coming back down to 80. With the 550, I guarantee you, I would have been in the 170+ range. But, for a convertible 4.8L V8, I thought this was pretty damn fun.

7. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just re-read it Kitty, not 550 but 150. Good catch.

8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

All good. :)

Having been in some 550s (and one especially memorable one driven by our own Darth550), I was beginning to wonder if yours was jet powered. You know how everything is bigger and more powerful in Tejas. ;) :D

Be safe out there. :)

9. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't tempt me, it is chipped (a turbocharged V10-very fast) and she (the wife) says she hits 90 with a fully loaded 4 horse trailer -the horses don't seem to mind.

10. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    holy jebus

11. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Now just factor in about 10% speedo error and you actually went about 135

12. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't be a kill joy. I think I was sitting on the limiter. Felt like an honest 150 to me.

13. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    While tooling around PCH this afternoon, I saw a gentleman "enjoying" his black Z8. Personally, I've always felt the Z8 was nothing short of art on wheels. I've been lucky enough to sit in two (both silver on red) and they are to die for.

Glad you're enjoying yours.

14. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Ah no I'm not trying to be. I just hang around bikes sometimes and it irritates me a little that some squids brag about going 190 down some highway when really the bikes are off as much as 15% in the top end, which is really like 30 mph off. But nevertheless, the real skill in riding isn't had in straight line.

The Z8 is a beautiful cruiser, and you made a great choice in choosing the Alpina. That's one of my favorite BMW's.

15. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Does that count as extra "Horsepower"? 150 with top down, good job. Most I have gone was about 130 in my spyder before getting a little nervous, with top down it feels like your going much faster.

16. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That would be fun. Are the Alphia governed at 155?

17. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Rock and roll - fast is good. I've been at 140 mph (so I'm told, the steering wheel blocks the speedo and I don't really look down much when rolling hard) in my 348 spider with the top down. I wanna go faster but what with those silly speed limits and all... :)

Good effort with the Bimmer, mate.

Cheers
    Kevin

18. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Steve,

I am not a big fan of people who do crazy things on public roads. However, I have to admit that's a great pic and neat little story. The Z8 is such a beautiful car and it sounds as if you have a day to remember.

As mentioned in another post on this thread, isn't the Z8 limited to 155mph? Did they all come with those high mount thumb press gear switch buttons?

RocketBoy

19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I think I'd be more freaked out over a truck pulling that payload going 90mph, than 150 in a capable sports car :)

20. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My wife fessed up - she does 85. But she says she doesn't even feel the trailer, it is straight and flat on the interstate. I have to say, having driven her truck and trailer myself, it is unbelievably fast when the turbo kicks in.

Regarding the limiter on the Alpina, per factory it is set at 155 or 156, I am not sure which. But I was sitting on the limiter for half a mile at 150 or 151. All she had. But with the top down it felt like 200. Really the most fun minute of my driving career. Definitely wilder than 150 in the safety of the 550 - but I will far exceed it in the Fcar, no doubt.

21. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Who does the turbo on the truck? My F250 could use some get up and go :)