how do you copy a dvd? | FerrariChat

how do you copy a dvd?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by smg2, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay i'm pretty pissed. i wasted an afternoon trying to copy a movie, i have the sony media vaio yada yada. anywho it has all this neat softeware for creating dvd movies but nothing for making copies. did i miss something here? why can't i just copy from one drive to the next?

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Most commercial DVD's are protected from unauthorized duplication with copyright encoding. It takes a special (illegal) program to accomplish the task.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Please post your full name, address and daytime phone number.

4. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I've had a few copied for me. However, the decoding process does diminish the quality to a certain extent. Colours aren't as vibrant as on the original and the image does seem to skip/jerk at times.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given how inexpensive DVD's are, I wouldn't think that piracy would be that lucrative or that big of an issue.

5. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    also, as far as i know there are software that do allow you to copy any dvd and are not illegal. Movie studios did forced a company to take their product out of the market, but im sure at best buy you could buy software that would allow you to do what you want.

I also think piracy is not a big problem with dvds that are already out, the major problem the studios have is with pirated dvds that come out before theirs come out.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    GOOGLE free software "Any DVD" AND " DVD SHRINK" and for all you copyright crybabies out there, if you already own the movie and make one backup for the kids to watch in the suv or for your use in the laptop on trips, its not illegal. its illegal ( and immoral?) to make multiple copies and sell them or give them away. i dont have any kids, but my best friend has twin boys and a 2 year old. ditto for another friend of mine with 3 kids . they have dvd player thingies in thier suv's and the kids tear up the discs just bieng kids. how many times do you want to buy "Finding Nemo"? thats why the backups are for the kids and the originals stay put away. the compression software will cause a bit of quality loss, but i doubt you or the kids will notice.

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Scott, Everyone is assuming your trying to copy a motion picture movie. That can be done but expensive and illegal. Now maybe you are trying to copy a movie you took of your kids or something--Thats easier to do. So which is it.

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i can make and edit dvd movies from the dvdcam but what i'm trying to do is make copies of the kids favorite movies so i have one in the car one in the player and one just in case the kid decides to turn them into fresbies again. not selling or handing out multiples. shoot these movies are older than me, i bought remastered onto dvd movies.

i talked to my father-in-law who bought the same computer i did only a year ealier, turns out his came with softeware to do what i want to do but sony no longer supplies the softeware.

now if the companies don't want you making copies why can you by dvd/player burners for you home ET? or did those get pulled from the shelves?

i did search online and found lots of softeware to make copies, but if its illegal than how can they sell the softeware? you can make VHS copies so what is the difference here?

9. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Do a Google search for DVDXCOPY and find a site that sells it...works great. And yes it is LEGAL for making backups of YOUR original DVDs.

10. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    I also use DVDXCOPY, works great to backup my DVD movies.

Mark

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    go here: http://www.rita.lt/ look for the guide on the left, as well as links to download all the necessary tools.

other help can be found at www.vcdhelp.com

due to the nature of these kinds of subjects, this is all I will offer.

12. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

DVD piracy is a $3 billion dollar business in the U.S. alone and a very big issue.

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    There's a guy at work who boasted his "riping off" of DVD's, he even sold a few to a client. That was two days ago. I don't think he'll be back.

I can buy 100 blank DVD's for 15 bucks. I can use a friend's DVD for free. There can be a high rate of profit if you copy a DVD, walk away, come back, switch a new blank in and walk away.... it seems boring to me but people do it.

14. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    It is a HUGE business in Asia.
    People are selling pirated DVDs for $2.50 on the streets. COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) is about $0.8. The profit margin is as high as selling cocaine, and DVD pirates are never jailed. Cops are alway looking the other way. Nice illegal business.

15. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Yes, DVD piracy is a huge problem...but I believe the original starter of this thread was asking about available software for copying "Original Already Personally Owned" DVDs for back-up purposes. Which is 100% perfectly legal. Same deal as MP3s...I have 1000's of music cd's that I've bought and collected over the years which I transferred to MP3 and listen to while my Original CD is safely tucked away in its case.

16. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I stand corrected!

17. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Making one archival backup copy, of any DVD you own, is perfectly legal. What's jacked up is the act off breaking the encryption goes against the DMCA. Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Regardless, it's done all the time, and with free software: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well, according to our lovely legal system, their answer in this matter is, if you want to make a backup copy of it, get the VHS version. Yes, that is the actual answer from the judge several years ago in the DeCSS case.