328 GTS Buying Comments | FerrariChat

328 GTS Buying Comments

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tricycle, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Hi,

I am looking to bid on (what looks to my uncultured eyes) a prime 328 GTS
    on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=4540169550&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I am looking for your input on that car.

What do you feel is a fair price?

I have a call in to check whether a recent PPI has been done and how good is the paper trail.
    No accidents No rust.

Has anyone dealt with this dealership before(Naples Motorsports)?
    Any issues with them?

Any other questions I should be asking? I want to bring it home to California.

Thanks for the help

TJ

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Its a very low mileage car - some would say too low. You'd want to understand more about that by looking at the service records so you can see what mileage its done on a year by year basis. I sthe mileage really genuine? Bear in mind its VERY easy to disconnect the Odo on these cars. If its done a good few miles within the last year then its possible that all the gremlins have already come to light & been fixed. If not then low mileage cars that have sat in storeage do have a habit of being a bit "awkward" for a while.

On the surface it looks like a nice example - but you really should go & see it & drive it.

I.

3. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I know the guys down at Naples Motorsports pretty well. I just bought my 328 from them last week. This is the second car I have bought from them (both sight unseen) and they have both been exactly as described. My brother has also bought several cars from them and all have been fantastic.
    I have no problem telling anyone they can trust whatever these guys tell them.

I know they paid A LOT for this car and put a good amount into it to make it 100%. So, there probably isn't too much room to negotiate on this one. But, I do know if it were in my price range I would have bought this car over mine.

Good luck.

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IMO, they butchered the doors with the tweeter and 6" woofer location... That would be a concern of mine. I've never seen such a treatment.

5. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Thanks Ian.

The last posted service 4/30/2002 shows a mileage of 7622 so that means 1328 miles in the last 3 years if the odometer is accurate so definitely not driven enough recently.
    I am goining on the assumption that it is a garage queen and have a list of questions/concerns for the dealer.

6. davel

davel Guest

A non ABS non 89 328 for 60+K? Run. That car is 10k+ overpriced. Who cares how good that dealer is. Who cares they paid too much for it. YOU WILL pay way tooooo much for that car. Get yourself a good TR for 60K$. Heck a 355 is almost in reach if you stretch it. There are great 328s for much lower prices than that car. Good luck. At that price you arent doing anything but putting the dealers kids through Harvard. Too much money.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've walked away from other 3x8's that had been drilled up for speakers, alarms, etc. I want an original car. Other buyers may feel the same way, especially for $60K++.

J

8. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Good point. I want mine to be as factory as possible and thats a big negative.

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree it's high for a 328. But I guarantee you the car will sell for near their asking price. Consider first that the 328 being such a solid (and in-demand) Ferrari. Then combine this with what I have observed with Ferrari sales where SOMEONE will come along who wants it pretty bad (the emotional nature of many Ferrari purchases). (This results in a large variance of selling prices IMO.) Finally, consider that the dealer is not in a "gotta sell it" mode with this car. Somebody will come along for it, and maybe chisel a few $k off the price for valid objections, but not too much... Just my speculation here. Dealers are selling median 328s (87s + or -, serviced, 30k miles) for 50k+ these days...

10. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    I think it depends on what you want it for. This car is a garage queen and can only hold its value as such. If you drive it 15,000 miles you will suddenly find that the $60K 328 is a $45K 328. You can find a very good 30,000 mile 328 of the same vintage for around $40K (or less if your patient) and you won't loose $15K even if you put 70,000 miles on it.

My personal opinion is to move on and find a well sorted out car that has been driven a reasonable amount. That way you won't be scared about the loss of value with every mile you put on it, and the car will be much more reliable in the long term.

11. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

12. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My issue is not so much with the price, though its a little high for a 1988, but the speakers ruined the door panels! I paid about that a year ago, but for a 1989 (13,000 miles and mint) and the major was just done, and had the dealer do an additional $3,000 worth of work on it within in the 1st 30 days that I owned it (paid by the dealer). If your paying top dollar, just make sure that if anything goes wrong within 30 days, that they will reimburse you for the expenses. This car is not driven that much so don't be surprised what ever is working when you take delivery, won't work soon after (Murphys law). I believe that Naples will sell it for asking price, or close to it. Some people don't care if they pay an additional 10% premium on the car that they really want. Its a new car. Just may take time to get the "bugs" out.

13. widdlewade

widdlewade Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2004
    Bay Area/NYC
    Way too expensive. You're probable going to need to spend some $$$ because it hasn't been driven. Combined with the fact that it's at least 12 grand more than it's worth, and the doors, it's probably better to pass on this one. For that price you can get a Testarossa, 348, or if you look hard enough, I've seen a few 355's and 456's at that price.
    P.S. If it's just going to sit in your garage, then you're still going to lose money on the doors.

14. sportcenter

sportcenter Rookie

Apr 4, 2005
    If your looking for an affordable 328 GTS, I have one that I'm getting ready to re-run on ebay. "86 with 34k miles, red / tan with serice records. I could sell this car in the $38k range. Watch for it on ebay.

15. Jay767

Jay767 Rookie

Sep 16, 2004
    Cool looking car, BUT not original(door speakers). and not good value.
    I have a 1989 GTS Red Tan, bought it last summer with 4500miles! Paid only 55,000 and then repaced the belts, alt., Batt., a few switches, and all the ignition wires and plugs, tyres - about $4000 total.
    Now have 7500 miles, no probs.
    So unless you want THIS car.....and money no object , shop around.
    You will have a few bugs to sort out on this one, good luck!

16. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Thanks everyone for their input.

I definitely want the best quality 328 that I can get without worrying about putting on mileage.

Semi-daily driver and having fun with it is the goal.

I know I don't want a garage queen but I do want to come as close to the positive attributes of one as possible.

On a side note 328 GTS prices are all over the board!

17. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    TJ,

I have a silver/black 87 328 GTS for sale. I just had the timing belt service completed a week ago along with the alternator rebuild. I also had other things done: reinstalled cat unit (removed test pipe), inspected/tightened heater and cooling system (I noticed a slight coolant smell; clamps just needed tightening). Maintenance records and history are documented (as early as 1988). Car has 49K miles and is not a daily driver but driven regularly (at least biweekly, more if weather permits). The car is all stock except for period correct Alpine stereo. Anyway, if interested, please let me know.

Mike

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth