Top 10 Formula 1 Drivers - Why? | FerrariChat

Top 10 Formula 1 Drivers - Why?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by D11VE:J, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004
    Now this is interesting; My top 10 formula 1 drivers of the last 20 years and why;

10. Keke Rosberg - Did more for modern day formula being a hard headed wheel banger, great fighter, The Williams cars lost the race when they did no come first, not the driver. Great Driver - Balls and Brute Force

9. Nelson Piquet, Master of the car as long as he was in the right mood, did not like to loose, hated Mansell and every team mate he had, when he was winning he was good.

8. Damon Hill, the one man that we all wished would win, I was almost out there driving it for him, what a relief, a gentleman, nothing like his Dad, showed Michael cheating does not pay.

7. Gilles Villeneuve, absolutely tiger 100% brilliant tactician, could drive a toilet to victory, and did most week-ends - lost his life trying to win in a hopeless car. Much respect RIP.

6. Alain Prost - too much of a gentleman, great driver, taught the others how to race, did not like the rain, but what class, head and shoulders above the rest.

5. Gerhardt Berger, for driving his balls off every time he got into a car evena after he set himself on fire in Italy, the only thing great to come out off Austria.

4. Nicki Lauda - No better driver on his day, knows more about cars and racing than everyone else except Michael. Liked to have seen them in their peak race aginst one-another. Brilliant, The Rat.

3. Our Michael, Schumey is the all action man, no words needed, - he iz de man today, thank God we have him, who else is there?

2. Ayreton Senna - No better racing driver ever! Words will never end the sense of loss I feel, even today, - a unique man, job left uncompleted.

1. Nigel Mansell - Because he made me feel good to be British when he won.

2. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    1. Ayrton Senna

How about a poll Tony?

3. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    It's only ever been about Senna... total single-mindedness (if that's a word..) taken to a new level.

This is the man that locked himself away in his flat in Monaco and refused to speak to anyone for days after he made a mistake at the entrance to the tunnel and clipped the armco.

The man was genius. I lost interest in F1 after that awful day.

4. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    I agree, tony take a poll, great idea.

5. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    A Perfect summation

6. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #6 hedge, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would have loved to have seen some of the old races with Lucca and Nuvolari (Enzo's favourite) in the 30's - proper cars!

Tazio Nuvolari's Scuderia Ferrari Alfa Romeo P3 heads for victory in the 1935 German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring, one of the greatest victories of his career:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    If you feel they were proper cars. You could probably live your dream and make one yourself out of a soapbox and a chain saw engine!

8. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    My list not necessarily in order of 'best driver' (you can judge that by number of race wins / world championships!), but in order of best to watch;

1) Nelson Piquet (Took the car by the srcuff of the neck and used it)
    2) Keke Rosberg (More spectacular than Piquet, but not as consistent)
    3) Jean Alesi (Italian with a French accent)
    4) Gilles Villenauve (3 wheels? No problem - I'll keep going...)
    5) Sandro Nannini (another one from my homeland with great car control)
    6) Nigel Mansell (Moany old sod, but he had balls and speed for a heavy lad)
    7) Michael Schumacher (When the odds are against him, he does fly)
    8) Niki Lauda (Would qualify last then overtake everyone).
    9) Ricardo Patrese (Not consistent, but in a good car, exciting to watch)
    10) Andrea de Cesaris (A mobile chicane and accident magnet)

9. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i agree with you[ D11VE:J ] dont you have any old film in the loft from the 1930's when you took the lad to watch them racing i am sure someone could host it on here i know dave jr [closeshave] has all the herbi films on vhs

11. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    LOL!!!

I DO!!!!!

12. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    stevef, thanks mate, I'm only 27, what would I know about the 1930's, well come to think of it I was around then, ah well that a different story, another life time, one story to tell over a beer.

I attended several Vintage Car Club Events when I was a little younger, no matter what the age of the machine, it still makes the blood tingle in the veins when they fire them up, Masers, Ferrai's from the 50's, fantastic but not your day to day F1 car now,

I actually saw Ayrtons Tolman TG134 car being built in the factory at Enstone, he first made an impact on the world when he took over from Brian Henton, Brians' claim to fame was he was the one who shunted the first Toleman F1 car 16 mechanics worked all day and night to build for 4 weeks to get ready for Silverstone, he shunted it at the chicane in front of the grand stand on the 2nd warm up lap on Friday qualifying in the practice period, I waz der, Brian said; "sorry boss it went straight on when I turned left". The team manager was the guy who went on to run the TWR Jaguar racing team so successfully, Roger something! I put the new heating into their workshops and had access to the works and the paddock/pits that day.

I also worked for Williams when they were in the Didcot high Street, saw the revolutionary answer to Tyrells 4 x 2 F1 car, Frank Williams came up with a 2 x 4, Dave Neale was boss of the works then, I digress,

The other Toleman car was driven by Derek Warwick and he came into the pits for an adjustment or two during practice as they were sweeping up Hentons car, Warwick had a flame out as they turned it off and a well meaning fire marshall saw this and emptied a fire extinguisher into the engine bay which left Ted Tolman as as spectator for the week-end after two laps of practice - Thats what being P444ed off must feel like.

Nelson Piquet was driving the Parmalat Brabham, what year am I talking about, prize for the right answer! Gilles went out on the first lap of the Grand Prix into the catch fencing taking one or two with him at the chicane, he turned right and it went straight on also, McLaren won it with a car that jacked up after the race with air bottles, ground effect is the clue, what nationality was the driver who took the trophy?

No don't ask me about the 1930's, ask me about F1 1965 to May 1st 1994. I can tell you every overtaking move, every car chassis number, every team member, their mechanics names, heres another one, which team ran over one of their mechanics at the start of a grand prix, the mechanic was trying to re-start the lead car when his team mate behind ran into him at the start? Orange and white cars, tool company sponsored car? Bet you don't know.

I got all of that on video, no Herbie films though, have to ask little sprout about those.

What a mindful of junk I carry.

D11VE:J

13. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Great stories Dave

The orange and white cars were Arrows - sponsored by Beta Tools Company.

Was the British GP 1985 ? In which case the driver was French, Alain Prost.

14. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    would you please be so kind, damian, as to explain why Ayrton Senna is not even IN you listing, let alone, not being at the top ?
    regards, david

15. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    My vote is based on one lap of a Grand Prix.

In 1993 during the European Grand Prix at Donnington Aryton Senna qualified his McLaren Ford in 4th Place with Prost, Hill and Schumacher all in front of him. At the time he had an inferior engine to Williams and the Benetton team had a Ford Engine Series VII with Pnuematic Valves whilst Senna's engine was Series VI with Sping Valves. This gave away an advantage of at least 20 BHP.

It was also raining and foggy.

Off the line Senna lost a place to Roland Ratzenberger so going into the first corner he was 5th! By the end of the lap he was first and over 0.5secs in front of Prost in the far superior car! By the end of the race he had lapped everyone except for 1.

So setting apart everything else he did in his career, tell me of anyone in Formula 1 History who can even come close to that.

Granted Scheuy is a Great Driver, but ask yourself, if Senna hadn't died that sad day at Imola in 1994 would schumacher have secured the first 3 of his World Titles? Remember, Senna was 32 when he died. At least 3-4 season left in him at the top. He could of easily matched what Scheuy is accomplishing at the moment.

The thing is with Senna. He was a Brazilian. You see for me a European or North American Driver is neat and tidy driver, the natural characteristics are predictable and safe. Whereas when Senna drove, you can't help but think he was doing the Samba. He just ouzed excitment! He definetely had a win at all cost mentality!

So i salute you Senna! You have inspired one individual thats for sure!

16. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Is anybody else man enough to admit they shed a tear on that fateful day ?

I recall travelling home from ipswich v utd .... i was upset, and with two mates ..... we stopped and sat waiting for a table at the little chef, on the A1 nr. peterborough ..... we sat waiting for a table, and a chap (2CV owner) said "why does your mate have his head in his hands ?" ... moz replied "he is upset, ayrton senna died today".
    "who does he play for ?" came the reply.

17. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Somehow still can't believe to this day :(

18. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Why is Damon nothing like his father?

It was the 1981 British GP (Villeneuve died in 1982...) - John Watson won - he's from Northern Ireland so I guess that makes him British.

I'm guessing you're talking about Roger Silman???? Where is he now I wonder?

I recall the Brit GP at Brands in 1983??? When a Toleman went by me at Paddock with extinguisher fumes exiting the cockpit - the car carried on in the the race though....

German GP 1981 - not the first incident that year involving mechanics - Arrows, Patrese rammed by Stohr - Beta tools as mentioned earlier.

How about this one...what took a break from F1 in 1993 and 1994 but made a return in 1995 and has been seen every year since then?

My top 10 - Senna, Schumacher (M...) Clark, Fangio, Ascari, Nuvolari, Caracciola, Prost, Hill (G...naturally), Mansell.

19. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    It has been pointed out to me that I get strange hyrographics(sp?) in my quote boxes - I am afraid I have no idea why this is.

ANYONE HELP and explain why?

Top 10 F1 Drivers

1. Ayrton Senna
    2. Manuel Fangio
    3. Jim Clark
    4. Michael Schumacher
    5. Jackie Stewart
    6. Nigel Mansell
    7. Stirling Moss
    8. Niki Lauda
    9. Alain Prost
    10. Gilles Villeneuve

20. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Just realised I had 3 Brit drivers in a row - so this is my Top 10 British F1 drivers

1. Jim Clark
    2. Jackie Stewart
    3. Nigel Mansell
    4. Stirling Moss
    5. Graham Hill
    6. James Hunt
    7. Damon Hill
    8. Mike Hawthorn
    9. David Coulthard
    10 John Watson

Wasn't sure if I should have squeezed Martin Brundle in there - mind you he's a much better commentator than driver!

EDIT - Thanks to Grahams spot of my deliberate mistake :p:p:p

21. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    David,

Simple - I never really found him that great to watch (although I will always admire what he did at Donington in the wet). As I said in my post, I wasn't listing the 'greatest drivers' in terms of achievement. Yes, he was possibly one of the finest driver's there ever was, but then again, so was Prost. However, to me, both in and out of the cockpit he was always too emotionless. It's probably for the same reason that Italian's buy Fiats instead of Toyotas (putting aside the fact that Uncle Luigi probably gets discount).

22. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G

No room for Jim Clarke in your list? He was infinitely better then the likes of Coulthard and Watson imo

23. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Great post Albert. That was indeed a great lap. I remember reading about Ayrton Senna in his days of karting. He took part in an event at a very young age, it was at his local kart track and the entrants were a mix of all different ages and machinery. Ayrton was quicker then all of them because of being so young he was very small therefore light. It started to rain and Ayrton lost his fist place, and struggled to finish.

After that he took his kart to the circuit every time it rained and drove for hours and hours. Later in his career he put this down to being the reason why he was so good in the wet.

24. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    [size=+2]D'oh[/size]

As he's third in my all time top 10 I think I'd have to agree:D

25. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    There are some great parallels to be drawn between Schu and Senna - both have a win at all cost mentality - no need to provide examples. Both came from familiers that were wealthy enough to allow them to get a good grounding in Karts. Both loved karting so much that they returned to it during their F1 careers. Both lived to drive the wheels off anything and were unafraid of competition (outside of their F1 team). Both were leagues above their fellow competitors....and I am sure I could come up with another dozen examples.