Columbo V-12 | FerrariChat

Columbo V-12

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by el Carnicero, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. el Carnicero

el Carnicero Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Anybody know where I might find a list of all Ferrari models that have the Columbo V-12? Tried a search but no luck. TIA

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Nor was Columbo. He was only interested in finding a better passway to Indonesia, proving earth is a globe in the process. Then he stumbled upon the Bahama's. Eventually Americo Vespucci went on to found America.

anyway......... :D

I believe the Colombo V12 -or derivatives thereof- were in production up untill the 275 GTB

4. el Carnicero

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Hmmmm, Columbo - Colombo. I knew something didn't look right with that. Always first to admit my own mistakes, I stand corrected and thanks for providing info that will help me avoid making an a$$ out of myself in the future.

What was Lampredi's first name? BTW, are you sure it was Americo and not Americus, Gus for short? Amerigo. :)

5. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Aurelio.

6. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    To answer your question, the original dimensioned Colombo block was used in the 125, 159, 166, 195, 212, 250, 275, and the 400 Superamerica. The first series of 250 Europas used a linered down Lambredi engine. The 4 liter engine in the 400 Superamerica was stretching the original design a bit, so the block was stretched for the 330 and 365 series. I"m not sure if these engines are considered Colombo designs, (Colombo left in the 50's) but they are of similar design and layout to the earlier engines, just with a stretched block. This stretched block may have continued on in the 400 and 412 but I"m not sure.

-steve

7. el Carnicero

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Thanks for the info, Steve. Which sounds better - Colombo or Lampredi? Maybe that's like asking which is better - a million in cash USD or Lb Sterling.

Eric - Aurelio? Thanks for clearing that up.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think the Lampredi definitely sounds better, at least in the cars I've been in.

9. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  10. el Carnicero

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Ah yes. The one who was always chomping on a cigar - no doubt to compensate for his short stature.

Glassman - The only 12s I've heard were a couple Daytonas at Vintage races at Mid-America a few years ago - probably straight pipes; a neighbor's Daytona which was awesome. Also a carbed Boxer which I had the pleasure of driving - nice, powerful but not blood-curdling like the 365s. IMHO

More ignorance: What cars had Lampredi motors?

11. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Lambredi V12 engines were the early big engines, mainly used for racing. 340/342/375/410's of various flavors (Americas, Superamericas, Mexicos, etc). Their big difference from the Colombo engine was that the cylinder liners screwed into the head for better compression sealing.

Lambredi also designed the 4 cylinder engines of the Mondials, Monzas, and Testarossas.

Lambredi engined cars are very rare and I haven't heard enough of them to form an opinion on their sound vs. the Colombo V12's.

-steve

12. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

For a great read, get "Origins of the Ferrari legend" by Colombo.
    ISBN 0 85429 624 7
    Italian in 1985, English in 1987