Just thinking, 308 vs. 996 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Just thinking, 308 vs. 996

Discussion in '308/328' started by PerryJ, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I don't think that lapping me would be considered, "a bit faster" :D

2. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I just drove a 1999 carrera 4 in great shape with 46K miles on the clock. What a great car for only $36k! I might just get one until 355s get a little cheaper.

3. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I have a 328 ~32Kmiles and a 911 cab with 74K, both are 88s. I compare the two all the time.

To me the 911 is easier to drive, more reliable, costs less to maintain, easier to get parts for, better build quality, and does everything the Ferrari can do with 50% less moving parts. The 911 is like a really functional sports car. Owned it since new and mechanically it has been "bullit proof", the interior and exterior have remained in very good condition.

the 328 looks better in my opinion, is so much more fun to drive, easier to drive fast, to me it handles better than the 911. But the 328 feels delicate compared to the 911. 328 has a better ride, the 911 is bone rattling.

Overall I believe the Porsche is the better of the two, but I don't think I'll sell the Ferrari any time soon. Just get a newer Porsche when the time comes.
    If I could only have one of them, logically I'd keep the Porsche......

4. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    These are great observations. It is my opinion that the Ferrari looks much better......Its also more exclusive and desirable. We must also keep in mind that we can get a 993 or 996 for the same money. Comparing the latter two to the Ferrari would not be right but the bottom line is that they can be had for similar money. In any case I like the contents of your garage. By the way, which do you feel is faster?

5. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    the 308 is back on the the market, I went to the Porsche dealer yesterday and two diff Merecedes dealers, and the SLK looks KILLER !!!,

I think this is the car for me, I'm weighing ferrari,c5 vette, benz SLK, and boxster. So far benz is in the lead !

6. paulb

paulb Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradley
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have had a Boxster S for almost 5 years now. It has not become 'predictable' or 'boring'. It brings a smile to my face every time I take it out. It is definitely one of the funnest cars I have ever driven or owned. It has also been *very* reliable. I would highly recommend ownership.

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Based on your choices, I assume you will have a net cost to get rid of the 308 and buy anything on your list. Why?
    Keep the Ferrari, lease a new SLK and give it back 3years from now when you get the 355. Everybody's happy and you won't wake up in a cold sweat wondering what on earth possessed you to sell a car you love and replace it with a hunk of plastic and metal that is truly disposable, especially a couple of years out.

8. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I drove a 2004 Vette (C4?) I just dont like that style of car. Its soo big! The interior (plastic and shiny leather) is similar to the ones found in Grand Ams and other American cars. It was fast.....it feels like a train but I just dont get that feeling I get in a 996.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The SLK will be worth 15k in 3 years..your Ferrari will still be worth close to 40 if not more. Why get rid of a car that is going up in value, to get your self into a car that will lose 20% in a year and a half? Also..the new Benz's are complete trash. You will have less problems with your 20 year old Ferrari then you will with the 05 benz. The Benz handeling had never been all that great and you will definatly miss all the sounds that will be absent in the benz.

I would seriously reconsider this desicion. If you must sell the 308 go with your first idea the P-car. Even a Corvette would be a better choice then the Benz.

10. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005

The Porsche feels like it's quicker, but I doubt it. But that's a good question. I'll have to check that with a radar.

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    what about an 02 or 03 vette, my real only reason for wanted to get a more modern car, is I want a car I can DRIVE, there are so many times I wanna take the ferrari but can't with the mileage that I would rack up. I want something I can drive 10-15k a year. I have put 2000 miles on the ferrari just since christmas !!! And that was WINTER time, at that rate that about 8000k miles a year, after three years of that what's a 90k mile 308 gonna be worth ?

I'm sure that the amount would be more than the depreciation on say a 2002 vette. right ?

I'm gotta stuck. I quess.

12. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    A modern fast car of your choice plus a Ferrari would be best way to go...
    Good Morning Perry, are you like 8 AM?

13. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    nope 10:30am here, I'm CST.

So for 35k.........

308 or
    2002 vette 0r
    25k for 2002 boxster and put 10k in bank

or 25k for SLK and put 10k in bank

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Who cares what it is going to be worth. It will depreciate like anything else if you put miles on it. The question is, would you be happier putting 60k on a Ferrari or 60k on some other disposable car.

Its just a car. Drive it. Don't worry about it.

15. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    easier said than done, some of us can't afford to put 10-20k miles on our cars.

If I put 30k miles on my car in two years the value goes from 35k to 25k that's a 10 grand hit in two years. I'm more conservative with my money than that.

that's why I can't find a car out there that I can drive 15k miles a year and not spend 5k a year to do so.

I love my ferrari but it's not worth 5,000 + maint. + insurance + that would total about 10,000 a year !!!

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No offense, but you shouldn't have bought a Ferrari. You really can't afford it.

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'd have to agree, or at least you don't have the mindset for it.

18. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Sorry, but I CAN afford a little 308, (I make 6 figures+) I Live WAY below my means ! I don't want to still be working when I'm 50. That's why I think about things like depreciation vs. enjoyment now at age 30 !

That could possibly be the most ARROGANT statement I have read on Fchat to date. It never ceases to amaze me at how quick people on here are quick to judge other people based souly on their car ownership !

there's a HUGE difference in being ABLE to AFFORD a ferrari and wanting to throw money away.

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Like it's been said, owning a Ferrari is not cheap compared to mass produced cars. If you're not willing to spend a lot more than a Honda Accord will cost you for the same miles you put on it, then you can't be driving a Ferrari.

You say it's "throwing money away" and lots of people feel that way. Nothing wrong with that. But some people think the money is worth the thrill of the drive so they spend it. Everyone has a cost/benefit equation in their heads on what something is worth.

Ken

20. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I'm saying that to me ever time I drive it I think about what else I could be doing with the money and I haven't convinced myself that it's worth it for me. It looks good, performance sucks (I have yet to find a minivan that doesn't smoke me off the line)

So I keep looking for all these "smiles" per mile everyone talks about and I don't see it, I guess it just doesn't blow my skirt up.

that's why I think if I went with a newer model there might be more "smiles"

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    But then you'll have all the depriciation! Either way it's not cheap owning toy cars; I agree with you that you should spend your money elsewhere if you're not having fun. Maybe a Porsche would be better for you, or an NSX?

Ken

22. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Perry,
    You'll get a bigger hit with a newer car. We're kind of in the same boat. I'm 30, and want to retire early as well. You want something you can drive all the time and have fun with as well as not lose a lot in depreciation as well. That's something that's almost impossible to do with vehicles. That's why I have a cheap reliable car as my daily driver, and for insane power, I have a sportbike. My fun car is my 308. Insurance is cheap, and I can do most of the maint myself if I have the time, or if I want to save some money. If you want to get rid of the 308, because you want something to drive all the time and not take a big hit with maint, or depreciation, I would think a used WRX, used Boxster, or used Evo. The only thing about a boxster is the maintenance could get really expensive if something major goes wrong. Another thought would be to sell the 308 and get a Cobra replica. That would probably be the cheapest in terms of maintenance, and depreciation, and you could probably have a roof fabricated so you could drive it in the rain. Remember not a Cobra kit car, a Cobra replica. Some of the so called Cobra replica's are just 5.0 mustangs rebodied.

23. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    I understand what you are saying Perry. I came to the conclusion that right now I can't afford the F-car (atleast not for 5 more years or so) so I'm going to go with a Lotus instead. I can afford both but to maintain them is another thing. With the F-car there is really no Ferrari club in my area that likes to work on their own cars so that was the deal yanker for me. The Lotus club in town does ALL their own work and they are more than willing to help out someone. I have confidence that once I'm taught a procedure that I will be able to do it on my own in the future and will also be able to pass along that knowledge to someone just getting into a Lotus. I think if the maintance is a big issue for you either you will have to learn how to do it or not have the car because you can't be scared to drive the car. If you drive it might depreciate and if you don't you still have the depreciation because it is sitting there not being worked enough to keep things in good working condition and will require the next owner to do it ASAP which in turn will not bring what you might ask for the car.

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

25. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    My ferrari mechanic says he would take a lotus over a ferrari anyday of the week based only on maint. He says the older lotuses are really good, maint wise. ;)

Jim Angle you nailed my thoughts with your post !
    Maybe some of the very talented people here will get together and start our own car company, and give ferrari a run for it's money, it's been done before, (Lambo's)

I want honda reliablity, ferrari looks, porsche performance and lotus Elise prices ;)
    we could name them "X cars" and have the X1 X2 and so on. :D
    any one in ?