I am looking for a 512 TR. Help! | FerrariChat

I am looking for a 512 TR. Help!

Discussion in 'New England' started by Nazbr, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nazbr

Nazbr Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Lille , France.
    Hi,

I am looking for (and dreaming about) a 512TR.
    Ideally, Red with 15000 miles on it.

I am doing some research. I live in Lexington , MA.I just joined the Ferrari Club of America.I read as many threads as possible related to the 512 TR.

I would like to get to know the car better from a user stand point. I want to drive it as much as possible, and specially on the track.
    My main questions are:
    - how much should I pay for it? Obviously in great conditions with all records.
    -How much will it cost me in terms of maintenance. For those of you who have been lucky enought to own the car for a few years, have you kept record of all expenses related to maintenance and repairs. I have heard so many things, I would like some "real life feedback".
    -I would be happy to meet some owners, at the club or anywhere.
    -I spotted a red 512 TR in lexington several time...is the owner on the forum?

Thank you very much for your help.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hi & welcome, you have great taste in cars :) I have 2 512TRs & a 512M on the way.
    Make sure you get a PPI done by an independent, trustworthy, knowledgable mechanic on any car before you buy. This can save you Thousands later.

The 512TR is a beauty. A few weak spots, look for rust especially around the windshield & doors outside. The AC, starter motor, fuse box, & ignition can be finicky.

If you really hammer the car like I do :) The trans can be the weak spot. the engine is aweosme & pulls like a freight train

I have an F40 & a Countach too, but if I could only have 1 it would be the 512TR :)

Good Luck, WH

3. Nazbr

Nazbr Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Lille , France.
    thanks William, that confirms my choice. I already read all you posts!
    What about the budget?
    Purchase price?
    Maintenance costs?
    Insurance?
    I would appreciate some figures.

I know you pilot a lot on the track. Besides the wear on tires and brakes, is there anything else I should expect ?
    Thanks for the help.

4. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hey Nazbr, dunno if you got my private message or not. I'm right next door to you in Lincoln. A friend of mine is selling his red 512TR, fantastic condition, all services done and updated at Ferrari of New England this winter. If you're interested, let me know.

vty,

--Dennis

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think you can get a good driver around $90k now. Try to get 1 w the major service done to save yourself $8k or so. Make sure the car has all books, tools, & maintenance records, if not subtract $ for those. Make sure the car has complete maintenance records & if the last major was done over 2 years ago you can subtract a few grand for that. Call a local F shop & ask how much they charge for a major on a 512TR
    Good Luck :)

6. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Nice choice, Nazbr. I've had mine for over 5 years. I bought it with 30K miles on it and it now has 70K. And it's running as strong as ever. I've had all my services done at Ferrari of Seattle, including oil changes. Annual maintenance, tires, etc. in non-major years is about $5K. In major service years it's more like $12K+.

Watch out for the transmission. If you plan to track the car or if it has been tracked in the past or even just driven "con gusto" the differential and input shaft are going to fail. The parts weren't upgraded from the original Testarossa until the F512M and are not up to the additional power and the grip of the better tire/wheel combo. The upgraded parts are expensive but necessary if you want the trans to last. When my diff failed the repair cost (with a major service, clutch and a trans update) the cost was $28K.

Also, be sure to check whether or not the car has the infamous 512TR hot start solenoid issue. This vexed me for a few years and after a new starter/solenoid unit failed in 2 years and a rebuilt one in just 2 months, the only viable fix was a secondary solenoid (a relay, really) adjacent to the primary solenoid.

You can expect other little niggly issues, too, that are common to all F-cars - the front and rear trunk cables will probably need to be replaced if they haven't been already. The interior plastic trim is coated with a rubber-like material that will degrade with heat and age into a sticky mess (easily fixed though it takes time).

A couple of other things to check during your PPI (and periodically once you get one): the upper rear suspension perches will deform over time. The fix is simple but requires relatively expensive and time consuming disassembly. Also, the steel tray holding the battery is prone to rust. You'll only see that if you remove the battery.

If you want more info, send me private mail. I have a spreadsheet documenting all services, costs, fuel mileage, tire life, etc.

- Will
    P.S. - I had been considering selling the car and getting a 550 but I love it so much I've decided to keep it.

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    to check the main drive shaft is not too difficult a good mechanic can remove it without taking the engine out & have ot magnafluxed to check for cracks. I would definately do this before you take it on the track. I would recommend doing this once every winter when you arent using the car, If you drive it on the track that is

8. Nazbr

Nazbr Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Lille , France.
    Hi,
    thank you for your help.Your advice are very interesting.
    Excuse my ignorance but, what is that solenoid? What does that do and what happen when it fails?
    Thank you.

9. Nazbr

Nazbr Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Lille , France.
    Dennis I answered you. Did you get it?
    I am defitely curious about the car: mileage, colour, condition.Could you put me in contact with you friend from Maine?
    Thank you very much
    Philippe