So I received my 1:18 Marlboro livery - what now?! | FerrariChat

So I received my 1:18 Marlboro livery - what now?!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Perfusion, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Some of you may remember my thread a few weeks back regarding Marlboro livery for 1:18 HW Ferraris... I took your suggestions, and I ordered a set from a guy off eBay for my F399. I figured I would start with that one, as it's relatively "plain" to begin with. If I screw it up, I won't be heartbroken, either...the model almost cost less than the decal sheet (also an eBay auction, and I was the first and only bidder - a steal).

At any rate, pictures of a "real" F399 on the net, I think I've pretty much got it figured out *where* everything goes. I'm just concerned about the "how." The two areas I'm most concerned with are the rear spoiler(s) and the nose.

With respect to the nose, are those of you who've done this before removing the antennae prior to application of the decal? If so, what's the best bet for reattachment. Fortunately, the F399 only has 1 antenna that seems to be in the way. Next - the spoilers. Where do I even begin?!

Thanks so much in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Aaron

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I finished my conversion a week ago, so my memory is still fresh.
    :)

The decal kit I found on ebay is not for the 2004 car so some tinkering is required: I painted the red angle over the white Marlboro patch on the engine cover. The red is not a perfect match, but close enough from normal viewing distance. The Marlboro M has to be trimmed a bit on the right side as it is too tall.

As far as the nose with the antennae goes: I had to remove (with pliers) some air scoop that got in the way. Just ripped it off and added some red touch up paint. The white Marlboro that goes on the nose has to be cut into pieces. I don't remove the antennae but rather cut the Marlboro into section that make them fit.

Take a similar approach on the rear wing Marlboro. Some decal sets have horizontally halfway cut Marlboro logos for the wing behind, some sheets don't. Cutting it horizontally yourself is risky when trying to apply it. It almost certainly disintegrates, so I quit bothering with the second wing, but make sure I have a big one on the front wing. You need to cut that vertically into two pieces to adjust for the center tab. Do the same for the rear side of the wing.

I hope you got a decal sheet that includes the drivers helmets. You need Marlboro decals for the visor and the helmet itself.

And while you're working on the car, compare it to fotos you find online. I noticed a bunch of smaller details that were different such as the paint of the small wing above the airbox as well as a different color scheme for the TV camera. And if I had found Bridgestone decals for the tires I would have changed them to pink as well.

3. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions... It is coming along surprisingly well. I'll post some pics when it's complete!

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Great. I'll do the same as soon as I have my 2nd Ferrari in. Should be coming from Germany.

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #5 Perfusion, Apr 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice job all around. Well done.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #7 tifosi12, Apr 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Excellent. Thanks so much, again, for the tips. They were a huge help!

Aaron