Hotel Advice | FerrariChat

Hotel Advice

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by VWH3RD, Apr 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I am heading out west for a couple of days for golf and a wedding.

I need a good (not great) hotel for one night in San Fran before I head to Pebble.

I am flying in late wendsday and then playing Olympic thursday before heading south. Also what is the best Steakhouse in San Francisco?

Thanks
    Vernon

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Screw the steaks, get a room at the Villa Florence and eat at Kuletto's right next door, it is fabulous. ( Italian )

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Best steak in town is at Afreds. PM me for details, phone numbers, etc.

Art

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The Hyatt is excellent near the piers. You can get a great room for around $250. The Equinox at the hotel is a recolving bar on top. It's close to Pier 39 for all of your shopping. For a great SF dinner, the outside crab bars that have about 6 seats are fun and the food is great (At a third the price). Sip a few beers and they pull out fresh steamed seafood right in front of you. Allioto's and Scoma's are tourist-trap rip-off restaurants. If you like Chinese, hit Chinatown and find a hole-in-the-wall, as they are all good. Don't miss catching an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista. It's a classic place where you can sit at large round tables and chat with local and others from all over the world.

Don't miss the chance to drive N. over the GGB and take the first exit west up the highlands. Great for photo stops. Also, tell us all where you will be on one of the nights for dinner. I am sure there is about 40 of us that will let you treat us to that steak you are looking for!

5. Andy

Andy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Alfred's, Morton's and Ruth's Cris are all good steakhouses. However, since you're in San Francisco (and can get a steak anywhere) I'd recommend trying something different. Gary Danko is the top restaurant in SF and is close to Fisherman's Wharf. I'd also recommend Boulevard, Aqua (more seafood-oriented), Jardiniere, Hawthorne Lane, or Rubicon.

6. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    A nice quiet,clean hotel,try Seal Rock Inn on Geary Blvd/48th Ave.Close to Ocean Beach and about a 20 min drive on the Great Highway to Olympic Club.Steak Houses,Alfred's,Boboquvari's,Morton's,Ruth's Chris,House of Prime Rib,are all really good.Try Antica for great Italian foodl.

7. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Is it tough to get a reservation at Gary Danko? Or Alfred's? It would be late on wendsday night

Vernon

8. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Nix the Seal Rock Inn, it's an upgraded Motel 6....BTW, nice job getting a round at the Olympic Club, pretty sweet!

9. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
  10. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    San Francisco isn't known for its steakhouses, but the two best old time San Francisco non-chain outfits are Harris' and House of Prime Rib, both on Van Ness. El Raigon at 510 Union St. made the Chronicle's list of top 100 restaurants in the Bay Area. Mortons and Ruth's Chris are, of course, very good. There are so many better places, though. Way too many to name. I like Bix, Boulevard and for the view, Chaya....all of which serve steaks.

On a Wed. night you should be able to get reservations at just about anywhere. Regarding the hotel, get on hotels.com, hotwire.com or a similar site and you can get a 3-star hotel for under $100. There are lots of boutique hotels, but make sure they are not in the Tenderloin (west of Union Square). Personally, I like the W a lot.

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    That's an excellent point, as the SR Inn is ten minutes from the club. If you stay there, I would eat a good cheap breakfast a block down the road at Louie's, right on the cliff overlooking the ocean (and the old historic Sutro Bath pools, see http://www.cliffhouse.com/history/sutro.htm). I still recommend the Hyatt for the balance of your stay.

12. lateralus838

lateralus838 Rookie

Oct 30, 2004
    Cupertino, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan W.
    I do as well. I have stayed at the Silicon Valley one many times for weekend getaways and have always had a great time. The suites are all very well maintained and I think the hotel is relatively cheap for the atmosphere. If that "trendy" feel doesn't turn you off, the W is a great option.