348 - Dual Canister Exhaust | FerrariChat

348 - Dual Canister Exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Animate, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    My '92 348 has the dual canister exhaust. Has anyone here tried to eliminate one of them, i.e., just run the exhaust through the lower canister?

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I purchased a single can. from a 94 spider and put it on my 91. Ypu will also need the hanger bar from the spider

3. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Here's the thread from my Stebro install.
    It's a single can that replaces the FAT double can.
    I would imagine that you could remove the top can and repipe the bottom can if you made support brackets for it. Not sure how it would sound.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39631

4. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Sparta49: Can you comment on the sound and the weight of the spider single canister exhaust? I may also consider this route...

5. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
  6. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Georg, That looks great. Are those pipes straight through? I see the change in cross section diameter right after the bend and wondered if therer's a built in silencer.

How is the noise level compared with tubi?

7. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    I removed the lower silencer on my 348 and had a muffler shop make up tail pipes that connect directly to the upper silencer and exit in the normal place.
    The sound was only slightly louder, made me wonder why they put two on it to start. The real benefit was being able to see that beautiful clutch cover that used to be hidden.
    I next removed the cats [no emission testing where I live]and had a very talented friend make up pipes with bellows in them as replacements, welded on bungs for the O2 sensors, removed the cat overheat sensors, and the bulbs on the inst. panel for them.
    It now sounds quite good, still not real loud, but has a very edgy "rasp" to it under heavy throttle. Those Fuch tail pipes look real nice, I've got an email in to them about avaliability and price.

8. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    Yes, they are straight through, there is nothing inside. Unfortuanetly I havn´t heard a 348 with tubi exhaust, so I cannot compare. But I like it very much, because if you rev it only up to 4000 rpm the noise level is not too loud, but higher, ...what a beautiful noise !

Another benefit is the weight saving of the 2nd exhaust can and as Markie1949 said, you have free sight to the clutch cover, which means, that you don´t need to remove the exhaust any longer to change your clutch plate.

Regards from germany, Georg

9. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm encouraged about this.

Markie, let us know what you hear from Fuch.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It is a little more agressive in sound not too loud though and the weight is at least half of the 2 can set up

11. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Fuch replied and quoted 970 euros for the pipes plus 170 euros for shipping. One week delivery after receipt of funds. I'm sure I could have some made up for a lot less, but it is after all for a "Ferrari". For a Ford it's probably $500.

12. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Thanks for posting that Markie. Are you going to order a set?

13. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    No, I'm not going to. I found some very interesting aluminum dual outlet tips with steel stubs cast in place on ebay for $ 20.00, I'll have them welded on to my fabricated tailpipes. I think it will look "right".