Longacre Hot Lap | FerrariChat

Longacre Hot Lap

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by staatsof, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but here goes.

I've lost my personal lap timer and sole pit crew member (my wife) for the upcoming club track season for some of the selected events. She has other commitments, imagine that, what fricken nerve!

Soooooooooo I'm looking at the Longacre Hot Lap In-Car Timing System and wondered what you guys thought?

I'm curious about about whether it's typical that a single transmitter is set up for these events or is it all pretty disorganized?

I know that multiple transmitters will cause problems due to multiple trigger points.

I run in the north east at Watkins Glen, Pocono, Lime Rock,
    Summit Point and maybe VIR this year.

Bob S.

2. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've been using one for years, with somewhat mixed results. Longacre has been really good about service, but the units seem a little primitive to me.

It is really nice having instant lap times with feedback. I really miss it now if I don't have one.

Regarding multiple transmitters, the receiver has a delay of about 5 seconds, so if there are several along start finish you'll only pick up the first. If there are multiple transmitters spread around the course, you'll get split times, which can be nice.

I would definitely buy another.

Mark McKenzie

3. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I had one, it was hit and miss; sometimes there would be 2 or 3 others with them and we'd all throw away a session because the times were off; the timer resets each time it hits another transmitter so it can be a mess.
    I've since sold it and bought an AMB transponder since most of the events in my 'hood are host by organizations that use the AMB transponders/reciever.
    I'd vote for the AMB.

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've just looked at the AMB website and from what I've seen the transponder alone doesn't provide any information you are dependant upon there being a base data collection system in place and everything comes from that system.

I'd be dependant upon one being there and turned on.

Is there anything like the Lonacre product that utilizes a digital id for each car but is self contained as well?

Bob S.

5. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Does your AMB system display lap times in the car? That would be great.

I'm using both AMB for the track/timing and scoring and the Hot Lap for in car display.

Thanks

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I say find out what is the most popular in the groups you run with. This way you can pick just the reciever and someone else always seems to put a transmitter out. Whenever I've been on a track there is always talk during the drivers meeting about placement of transmitters and also just one transmitter unless split times are going to be taken. I also think there are some DAS units that will work on several popular transmitters so you can get not only times but other data. What we really need is a way to tap into the modern black box in your post 2000 sportscar so we can get other cool data like steering angles, aceleration, and braking. Add in an integreted GPS and track map and wow cool stuff! I think the next cool tool after the EPROM chip to retune ECU's will be units that can talk to the black box and flash it on demand (for the obvious reason that your data is your business, especially because the courts don't think so).

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    No it doesn't, unfortunatly. That's what I did like about the Longacre timer.

8. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Does anyone know if any other brand of transmitters (Intercomp,Aim, Spa etc...) will work with the Longacre Hot Lap, I have just bought a Hot lap Timer but didn't get the transmitter, Thanks