Model paint question | FerrariChat

Model paint question

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by GoFerrari28, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I usually use Tamiya primer and spray acrylics, but the primer is not currently available due to labeling issues with the State of California. Sp, my question is whether anyone else has had any luck spraying Tamiya colors over Testor's laquer spray primer? Are there any effects like paint peeling or not adhereing well?

Thanks

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Get a cheap kit, some paint, and try it out until you get it right.

I've got three ongoing Ferrari model projects that I've spent hundreds of hours on. It's worth thirty to fifty bucks worth of materials for practice and experimentation to make sure I don't botch all this hard work with bad paint jobs.

3. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    I have heard lots of folks are trying the "Duplicolor" primer from the automotive paint line at autozone, pep boys etc etc. I am currently trying it on a scrap body shell that I have.

Also I like to use the white primer, but it seem that Tamiya is the only one making white, everyone else uses grey.

I just bought the 1/12 Revell F2002...since it is pre painted...it will be my next project till Tamiya get there act together.

Ciao'

Steve

4. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Well, the results are in; I sprayed an old 1/25 scale Dodge Charger body (don't laugh, but it came from a Dukes of Hazzard General Lee kit) with the Testors white primer and the color was Tamiya light blue. I found that the Testors white primer does not do a good job of covering the plastic color so several coats are required, and it has a much larger grain to it that results in the Tamiya spray color not laying down as smoothly as it does over Tamiya primer. I'm kit bashing this Charger into a stock car since it has the Charger 500 rear window so the finish doesn't need to be perfect, but I wouldn't reccomend the combination for higher detail and quality kits.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've found the only primer to use is Tamiya Fine White, and Tamiya canned spray lacquers can even make me look like I know how to paint models.

I've got a Monogram '53 Chevy kit on the way in the mail-the tail light lenses are the closest thing I could find to use for a generic Ferrari 250 TDF Berlinetta that I'm kind of scratch building from a few other parts models I had.

I'll use the Chevy body to practice painting on.

6. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tamiya Fine white for Lights colors, Tamiya Fine Grey for darks. Its the best if your talking plastic kits. Some of the others will do the same job in the interim, but when a model sits on display for 12months, you will see a difference in the models. The Tamiya finish will stay the same, will the testors/modelmasters ones will eventually ruin the paintjob, trust me.
    Basically, in anything in Hobbies, you cant go past Tamiya.
    Cant you use Towerhobbies???

7. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Scott, I might need you to ship me some Tamiya white primer; we can't get it here in the people's republic of California

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Popular recreational drug out there, eh? I'll check the price and let you know.

9. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli

LOL Don't worry; I haven't resorted to sniffing paint fumes quite yet. That is what glue is for. Reminds me of that "whipp-its" joke that Denis leary used to joke about.
    I looked on the Tower Hobbies site and they don't have the primer until late April.

10. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The testors will work fine under the Tamiya spray. The texture is more coarse, but a little bit of wet sanding with some 600 then 1000 grit paper will take care of this.

Just make sure the Testors is completely dry (4-5 days) before you spray the Tamiya over it. Also, don't sand thru any of the Testors or the TS color will bubble and craze over the exposed plastic.

California does indeed suck in regards to warning labels. I find it amusing that some products are "know to cause cancer in the state of California" but no in the other 49.

11. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    I have had 4 cans of primer on order with tower hobbies for over a month. At first they said early April...now it's late April. I found 1 can at my local hobby shop, but they said it would be there last as they are dropping the tamiya paint line =(

I will be glad when this is all resolved.....before long we will see cans of primer on ebay selling for $50!

Cheers'

Steve

12. csmn

csmn Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Claes Magnuson
  13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've also used plain white Krylon primer -- from grocery store, Home Depot, just about anywhere, $2-$3 for a big can. It's good if you've done lots of body alterations--"kustomizing"--because it's thicker and hides putty, but it also tends to obscure body detail.

When I resumed modelbuilding a few years ago, I discovered Tamiya products--they do make the absolute best in raw materials; a bit more $, but well worth it.

Best website out there for model car building:
    http://www.briansmodelcars.com/index.asp

Alex Kustov, who built the awesome Lusso Berlinetta model that was the subject of a recent thread in this section of Fchat, is a regular contibutor and has posted some great tutorials on painting.