BMW Roadster question "Fully Automatic Soft Top" | FerrariChat

BMW Roadster question "Fully Automatic Soft Top"

Discussion in 'Other German' started by 62 250 GTO, Apr 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you don't get the "Fully Automatic Soft Top", do you have to just pull the top up by hand or unwrap it from the trunk and strap it in?

Thanks.

~EDIT~ And if in 10 years the motor braeaks will you be able to yank the top up by hand or will you have to use a motor to mive it?

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Neil,

Can you be more specific on which BMW are you talking about?

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My mistake, the Z4 Roadster.
    The Z3 Roadster too please.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I can chime in on the Z3 - 2 quick latches & toss it back over your head (unless you are anal & want to install the window pillow). Total time - maybe 5 seconds with practice. Raising (if your arms are as long as mine) takes perhaps 15 secs to grab top, pull over head, fasten latches (can't be done with wind stop in place though).

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    So I guess the bottom of the soft top is connected to the car whether or not you have a motor. None of this, take the hard top off and open a bag with the soft top and then attach.

Thanks.
    Also since you have a Z3 can you give advice on what to look for when buying one used? Any common problems or wear signs? And why you chose this car over the others in it's class?
    I am debating an Elise, Boxster S and the Z3 or Z4. I don't really want the S2000 or a corvette. < Not my kind of animals.

Thanks.

6. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Neil,

If you are looking at the Z3, please buy the M roadster. I drove a 2.8 the other day, car is nothing but a dog.

Out of your lists:

I would rank:
    1) Elise
    2) Boxter S--though they have some probs, read up on them
    3) Z3--M roadster version

The others...eh.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    eee! It can't be the whole fleet from all years, can it?
    I should have been clear about the Elise, I am using it to compare other cars. Since it isn't allowed in Canada, I will have to choose a different car. How far ahead of the M Roadster do you put the Boxster S?

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Well the 1.9 is real dog. I didn't think the 2.8 would be that bad. But it was horrible. Car only had 31 K miles. Woman driven. Back window was yellow. It sucked.

The 3.0 is much better. I would get that, IF I couldn't get the M. And in your price range, you can get the M.

The Boxter S has better suspension, and to my seat of the pants it handled much much better. However, if it was my $$, I would get the M roadster. Reason being, our office here has 5-6 of them, and 3 of the Boxter S needed new engines, left owners stranded, and myriad of other problems.

I would personally just get the M Coupe with the S54 motor, but that is another beast altogether.

Good luck.

9. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you haven't gotten an answer about the Z4 yet, the top is "fully automatic." Push a button and it goes up or down. You can also lower it from the key from a distance.

From what I hear, the Z4 is a significant improvement over the Z3.

Good luck!

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    What's the diff between the S54 and {I think} the S52? The S52 {or the other one, I'm not sure I have the correct number} is said to be more reliable but the S54 is beefier?

Thanks.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

s52--240hp

s54--315 hp

the s54 blew up in some cars..when first introduced..but bmw gave a 6 years/100k warranty i believe.

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That's nice of them!

What's the price diff between them? Are the S54's much more rare or harder to fix?

And when were the S54's introduced? Do you think enough time has elapsed, and they have found a solution?

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

depends on roadsters or coupes.

s52 coupes--20s

s54 coupes--30s

s54 is newer

but both are great cars

in that price range..i would take a used nsx or a used s54 coupe

both rare..u dont see everyday

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If they are rare to you, then they are Myths to me. There aren't any in my province. The closest one I've found is an 18 hour drive away. :( I could always make the dealership bring me one. But then I would be buying a car mostly sight unssen and totally undriven. Hummm.

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

fly out and buy one....
    i am sure plenty in toronto and vancouver

good luck

great cars

i liek to be different :)

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That would be quicker, cheaper and much more fun!

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Then that is what you should do, young grasshoppa :D

18. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You said the S54 is newer, what year did it come out, 2001? I'm pretty sure I want it. It's always good to have too much than not enough!

And do you have an opinon on the "Oregon leather" < Is that special or crappy?

I read reviews that said the M Roadster has a "Non-adjustable steering column". < WTF? I read other reviews that said it does, was it optional or just came in a few model years?

As for taking a flight, I was ready to do that for the Elise and Boxster, so this won't be any different. I have a friend who might let me in on an auction in the US. I just can't wait to get a performer, I'm almost giddy.

P.S. BMW and Posche can't be too different, could my Porsche mech work on the Roadster with ease? {yeah I'll ask him too}

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I am almost positive that the M Coupe and Roadsters do not have adjustable steering columns. S54 is '01 yes....and no clue on oregon leather....you looking at M Roadsters or Coupes?

The coupes have a subframe issue you need to be aware of.

the roadster isn't that hard to work on. much easier engine access than boxter s

20. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Just the M Roadster, not the coupe, thanks for all the info.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Whatever you need Neil, let me know. :) GOod luck, brotha.

22. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Interesting comments by LAfun2 on the 2.8 - my car is a '97 2.8, and while it doesn't have the punch my 928 S4 had, it sure seems to keep most traffic behind me when leaving a stoplight. I have heard that the later 2.8s gained a fair amount of weight...plus he mentioned he drove a woman's car: maybe her purse was in the trunk adding a couple hundred extra lbs... :)

Wouldn't dispute the advice to look for an M though (especially a coupe if you don't need a drop top). The M is quite a monster & the coupe will probably do quite well dollar wise in the future.

For $10K plus or minus, a 2.8 is a hell of a lot of fun for the dough. Make sure you have a Strong Strut (and if possible a Butt-Strut & X brace too) for
    max rigidity.

23. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

This is frustrating. I have heard so many reviews and opinons, that I have heard every possible issue shown in good light and bad about both cars! I think I have to drive a few cars to see for myself. I will probably take a trip in the next few months to Toronto and test these cars.

The most common comments I have heard are:

M Roadster:

More power, a little less handling with a spooky rear end when cornering very hard over an uneven surface. The interior is better and from what I have heard a more reliable motor.

Boxster S:

Is beaten 10 times out of 10, if only by a small margine in a straight line, but can win it back with better handling and brakes in the corners. The interior is of poor quality {Porsche standards} and is several thousand more expensive.

I have heard slight variations on these descriptions many times so I will assume that they are mostly true.

Does anyone have anything else to add, perhaps a correction on my breakdown?

24. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    David,

My apologies, if I offended you. My daily driver has 400hp, so I was speaking relatively.

Another reason I mentioned to stay away from the 2.8s is because he said he was looking at Boxter as well. I know you can't get those for 10K.

So for his budget, I think the M is a better car.

I have a friend, bought a 3.0 Z3 Coupe (pretty rare). I told him to get a M. Didn't listen. Had the car 3 months, put 2K miles on it. Lost 3K$ on the trade in, and now has a estoril blue s52 coupe.

Lesson learned, unnecessarily. Was trying to help Neil out.

Again, no offense meant towards your car. :)

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Neil go drive them yourselves. Reviews mean nothing. Your seat of the pants, is imp. You are paying the $$, not the dumb magazine writers.

Rear end is not spooky. BUt remember, lots of power (if s54) in a little car. Thus very very fun! Also the quad pipes are orgasmic.

Maybe spookie for a novice! But a miata with low power, in the rain, and rwd, can be spooky for some drivers.

Boxter S is a great car no doubt. Read up on the engine probs before you buy. Educate yourself. Great handling, and superb brakes.

Different than the roadster (bmw) since its mid engine. I would say much better handling.

THe interior SUX! Cheap, low quality. THe 996tt is cheap(i can attest to it personally), and the boxter is cheaper!! One thing I hate about the car. Though the new one is MUCH improved, and better.

If you are on a budget, buy a bimmer and be done with it.

If you want the ultimate handler amongst these, ,get the boxter.