Mercedes-Benz SLK Class........ | FerrariChat

Mercedes-Benz SLK Class........

Discussion in 'Other German' started by PerryJ, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    anyone ever onwed or no much about the little SLK's ?

I'm still looking for a sporty daily for my wife.

2. EHKim

EHKim Karting

Dec 17, 2003
    Socal
    The current generation SLK's rock.
    But the older models are horrible. I bought one for my ex-wife(while we were married) because she wanted a convertible. It was a noisy, underpowered car with a cramped interior. I would not recommend it.

3. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Get the v6 and stay away from the 4cyl supercharged thingy.

4. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    when did the v6 come in ? 2001 ?

5. Cartman

Cartman Karting

Aug 3, 2004
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I've got a 99 SLK230 Sport. Fun little car, really looks sharp with the sports package. With prices the way they are today, if you're looking for the last gen one, you can pick up an SLK32 for a song. I'm not a huge fan of the current model's styling myself.

Quality hasn't been stellar, but MB has been sliding in recent years. My porsche has been more reliable than the MB, so that says something right there. :)

6. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    I've test driven the '05 350.

My Impressions : Superior to the previous generations, excellent handling, pretty good performance for a 260 HP V6.

Good & Bad News : The Retractable Hard top. Nice Feature; however with the Top down very little access to Trunk. You CAN'T unload a set of Golf Clubs, unlike the SL500 (230) Class.

The SLK55 : 360HP V8,7sp Auto is worth the Extra $$$.

7. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I'm weighing a porsche boxster vs. a SLK but either car will be at least a couple of years old.

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the last generation bosxter and boxster s are much more of a sports car thanthe old slk, which was a cruiser....i never liked the older slks ride...chassis was not stiff, ride was choppy and handling mediocre....get the bosxter if you want a sports car with great handling and nice engine sound

9. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    from what I have been reading the boxster is a heck of a car for the money.

10. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K

Then stick with the Porsche.

11. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Here is an Excellent Site for MB Info.

http:www.Benzworld.org/Forums

You are interested in the 170 Class.

Good Luck with your Decision !

12. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I much prefer the look of the SLK but the eletric problems scare me.

13. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    have a 2002.slk230k. it has been so so .. ..
    rather loud.

problems

-alarm comes on by it self.(fixed under warranty)
    -cylinder misfiring. (fixed under warranty)
    -seat height adjustment does not work. (fixed under warranty about 10 times and still not fixed)
    -not the most ergonomic interior.

the good.
    - it looks real nice :)
    - it can do 120-40 mph no probs.. (with the top down too )
    - stereo is decent.

14. s2000brian

s2000brian Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Cincinnati/Douglas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I had an '05 SLK55 ///AMG that I got rid of last weekend. It was a fun car with plenty of power. If you are looking for a sports car that provides a connection between driver and machine, this is not a great car. However, if you are looking for a fast, comfortable, attention-grabbing GT with an automatic trans, this is the perfect car for you.

15. AMGgirl5

AMGgirl5 Karting

Jun 18, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have an 05' SLK55 and it is worth every penny.

16. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Save your pennies and buy an Sl 55, or better yet buy a new mustang

17. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    don't like the new mustangs, I REALLY like the new gen SLK's.

But I'm not buying a brand new car ever, I'll let someone else take the deprec hit.

18. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    ok, it was just a suggestion dont have to go gettho on me

19. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    i do like the new mustangs better than the last ones though ;)
    especially in black !

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    My wife had a '99 SLK230 Sport. In my opinion, it was noisy, underpowered, extremely cramped/uncomfortable (I'm only 5' 10") and had a stiff ride yet way too much body roll.

In her opinion, it was the best thing ever. Liked it better than her current E500 Sport.

As far as reliabilty, the top became stuck half-open/half-closed twice in the 4 years that she owned it. That was it. By comparison, her current MB has been a reliability nightmare.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The new one is completely new, but my '98 SLK230 was a fairly reliable car. I think I had $500 in repairs over 7 years (including 4 years of warranty), for electrical stuff (gauges). Also the usual items, like a battery. However, I may have been lucky judging by what I've read. I also had interior trim that fell apart after 5000 miles, and soft paint that chipped if you stared at it. The top, which I always worried about, never failed. It needed adjusting once, but that's normal for any power-top convertible.

The R171 model - 2005 model - is a vastly superior car, though. I'm glad I sold mine early last year, because it doesn't hold a candle to the '05. The car's better looking than the SL, IMO, and definitely more exciting to drive. The base model SLK's better looking than the AMG version - and the AMG has the old 3-valve design for now anyway. 5.6 sec 0-60 is pretty sweet.

I don't know that Mercedes quality is all that great, as my Lexus-owning friends liked to remind me. Maintenance is a fraction of the costs you'd get with a Ferrari, and my dealer rocked - service was amazing - but M-B cut costs on the trim. So, I had to have an upholstery shop repair both door panels, the leather seat covers needed replacing before 10,000 miles, etc. I babied the car, so this was kind of annoying.

Would I recommend a new SLK? I still love my dealer, but if I were spending my money now on an everyday driver German convertible .... I'd put the $50K toward a very nice low mileage Porsche 993 cabrio. But, among new cars, the SLK350 is really tempting. The old version -- isn't. Really, the interior sucks and the performance is already obsolete. And, M-B electrical isn't reliable and isn't something you can work on yourself. Trust me.

Of course, I sold my SLK and BMW to buy a Ferrari, so you know where my thought process ended up. But, my .02.

J

22. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #22 jknight, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The '05 SLK is found in the R171 forum.

We ordered one in September and received it in December. VERY nice vehicle. We got the comfort package, sport suspension and lighting package in addition to the 6 speed. Color is Caspian Blue with Ash leather interior - great compliment of colors. We have had zero problems with it and it really has a lot of spunk. For us it's a fun car, not a daily driver. We also have an '04 C 320C that's one heck of a mover too. Just playing with the SLK one day going to work - I did an experiment/comparison with the C 320C. The SLK at 90+ mph in 4th gear still had about 2400 more rpm to redline and two gears remaining - my test came to a halt when I rapidly approached vehicles going my way and on coming traffic. The C 320C on the otherhand under similar circumstances was about 75 mph with 2000 more rpm and two more gears. The trunk is definitely ample for us and there is quite a bit of room (we've had it full of groceries). The roof folds down in 22 seconds to very neatly compact layers which are protected. We are taking this car to the USGP in June so we'll see how it handles a 15+ hour drive - it will be in the Mercedes Car Corral. We also got the Pirelli tires on it. In my opinion, this car is not underpowered and not cramped - John's 6' and I am 5' - thus the comfort package is very nice for us as it remembers each of our settings. It's got a nice "throaty" exhaust note - I think it may be louder sounding then our Ferrari. It also has one heck of a short turning radius and handles very well. As far as a Boxster - only you can make that decision - we entertained the idea of that or a new Corvette but obviously chose the MB.

Carol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    BEATIFUL CAR !!!
    I love the 05's !

thanks for the feedback.

24. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

The SLK350 with 6MT is the drivers car of the line, while the AMG appears more to be another Mercedes luxury muscle car, as shown by this post. I say get the don't waste you money on the AMG, get the 350 which is still pleanty quick for a little roadster.