What Was Your First Car? | FerrariChat

What Was Your First Car?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by jescu, Apr 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jescu

jescu Rookie

Mar 18, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua E.
    Hi, my name is Joshua Escueta from Long Beach. I'm new to the FCHAT community. I was introduced to FCHAT by my fellow friend David Couch aka. "Ferrari Boy". He told me that I could see Crystal Cove pics.I've been to Crystal Cove a few times but I haven't been there in a long time. So it's cool to log on to FCHAT and see new pics every saturday. So, I'd like to start my first thread. I chose this topic because I'm going to start driving soon. I just want to see what other ppl had as their first car.

Thank you

2. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Hey Josh. Welcome to fchat :). Well lets see....my first car....oh ya I can't drive yet either! Dang I wanna drive bad. Well talk to you at school, maybe I can get my dad to go to CC this weekend, can you go?

3. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    My first was a 1973 Jensen-Healey roadster. Was a fun car, but a b!tch to maintain. Had to sink way too much money in it back then - and didn't have a lot to work with.

They actually have a Lotus 907 engine in them - which is cool since it's the same as in the old Lotus Esprits, but of course have that wonderful British (un)reliability. Never really had to change the oil - it would always leak faster than it'd go bad. ;)

That said, I wish I had that car now, more than I wish I had it then (could afford it now). Just get something that will get you somewhere reliably without sinking too much cash into it. Of course, get something that you'll have fun with as well... :)

4. Ryan in SD

Ryan in SD Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    San Diego
    84 BMW 633CSi. Picked it up for under $2K but it needed some work and still needs a nice paintjob. Its not very fast but its rear wheel drive and a 5 spd so I can still have fun with it.

5. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    A beautiful 83' mercedes benz 300 turbo diesel. with 300k miles and counting. I still drive it, very relieable, and relatively fast for a diesel that old. But LOUD!!!, can't sneak out of my house without being heard heehe..

Cheers

George.

6. Sting

Sting Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Edmund Maino
    1993 Toyota MR2 N/A. Really taught me how to "drive with the throttle!" Great first car.

7. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    LOL!! It's funny you say that becuase my dad is a Mercedes Tech and he told me that that car is one of the best Benz's EVER built (that and the 560 SEL). He has one that he drives sometimes with something like 250,000 miles. Your right about it being a loud car though. Sounds more like a traktor then a car.

8. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    1988 Alfa Romeo Milano 3.0

9. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    1970 Plymouth Duster (Brown) slant 6, w/225 cubic inch motor.

10. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    1983 Honda Accord and that was back in 1987. I saved up for it for 2 years.

11. jescu

jescu Rookie

Mar 18, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua E.
    So I see your JH roadster gave you a hard time. I bet it was a great experience though. At this age, I just want a car to get from Point A to B, but your rite, it has to be fun to drive.

BTW...Are you the guy who takes the CC pics every saturday? Great pics

12. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    a '91 Buick Century with 151K miles
    wasnt pretty but it did the job well

13. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My first car was a Hot Wheels. Does that count? Tim

14. MS575M

MS575M Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    Manny- That is an awesome collection of cars. I remeber reading in a thread a while back you were searching for a barchetta? Have you found one yet?

15. caseykimma

caseykimma Formula 3

Jun 5, 2004
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Casey
    '85 SAAB 900 Turbo

16. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    no, now I am looking for a industrial building in Costa Mesa to turn into garage.

it is hard to fit 5 cars into 3 car garage..just kidding

but, I am planning to buy a Barchetta & a Marci when I get my garage ready.

thanks, I am glad you like my cars

see you around

17. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    - Bought a '94 Cadillac DeVille (w/ 50k miles) from my mother in '99
    - then got '00 Chevy Camaro Z28 new in '00
    - then '02 Chevy Tahoe LT new in '02

hopefully another car in NEAR future. :)

I never sold a car in my life, and hope to keep all the cars. Now the '94 Caddy has well over 100k miles and the maintainance cost is quite crazy, because things are keep on breaking. Just recemtly, I spent $1,500 for new front electro-shocks, then $1,700 for new tranny, $1,000 for smog-related parts, $1,200 for oil-leaks..... and car is only worth a few thousand dollars. :) but I'm keeping it for sentimental values (my first car, got license with it, first ticket, first accident, and first use of the backseat.... :) )

18. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    I know how you fell, we all want to keep our first car because of sentimental value, maybe someday completely restore it.... unfortunately that's not always the case. But i admire that you are keeping the car, even though it looks like the car is owning you now.

hehe, all to good fun.

Cheers

George.

19. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    hehe... After reading that part, I cant help thinking about my superstition thats haunting me since High School... For some odd reason, my car give me so much problems or breakdowns if something like that done inside the car... Kinda, true for me, I dont know about the rest of you :)

My first car under my name:
    -1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Lowest model "RS" (everything manual: doorlocks, windows, mirrors, no AC :( LOL!

Oh, good thing Stradales dont have backseats ;) *next car in the near future*

20. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    My first car was a 1964 1/2 Mustang, she sure is fun to drive!

21. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Oh jeez, we'd better not see it roped off or something at the Claremont Concourse... ;)

And I'd better remember never to get a ride from you in it as well... ;)

22. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    1981 Jeep CJ-8 "Scrambler" with the big straight 6 and a 4 speed manual tranny. Hard doors and soft top.

Fun as hell but an absolute piece of junk.

True story. The Jeep enjoyed the garage (living in S. CA, I almost never had the doors or top on usually relying on the "bikini" top unless it was really pouring rain) and there were several times that I backed out of the garage to find bolts on the floor of the garage.

But damn... that thing could climb the side of a building and it was a lot of fun. Plus.. chicks dug it!

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    The first car I ever bought was a '74 VW Bug. I was 14 and I planned on making it into a project car. That never panned out and I ended up getting a '94 VW Jetta as my first "rider."

24. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Hahaha... yeah, the back seat is only for the ladies. :)

25. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Josh,
    Great question - isn't it nice to know that everyone here didn't have a Ferrari as their first car? Makes it more real, don't you think? Good luck with your first car, whether it's purchased for you or if you've worked 5 summers in a row to get! Whatever the case, I think you'll see that most of us go through various "stepping stones" before getting our dream cars...

With that said, my first car was a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme coupe that was passed down from my brother. White with the bench seating. The car had such a poor resale value that I sold it years later and bought a laptop computer! ;)

Good luck!
    Byron