FCA S. CA Paso Robles Drive? | FerrariChat

FCA S. CA Paso Robles Drive?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by robertgarven, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I know some of you are going on the FCA drive to Paso Robles. Look forward to meeting you in person, I will probably have the "least" of the ferrari there but Dino will enjoy running with the big dogs ;-)

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Don't worry about it. It's going to be fun. Don't worry about the Dino being slower than the later cars, it's all in the right foot, and how loud the ladies in the right seat yell. Those types of governors make up for a lack of HP.

See you there.

Art

3. Ferrari_Challenge

Aug 9, 2004
    San Luis Obispo
    Full Name:
    MATT
    cand anybody tell me when u will be in paso, i live like 5 mins away from there and would luv to see all of ur cars adn meet some of u guys. thanx alot.

MATT

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #4 robertgarven, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Matt we should be there Friday night, around 4-5??? would like to meet you. Not sure what the schedule is but we will be staying at the PR Inn. I had a malfunctiuon of one of my distributors on saturday the advance mechanism was frozen on my rear bank disributor, when I took it apart I found that a previous mechanic had thrown out half the advance pins!! It is running OK, well I am a amatuer mechanic but have faith I will be there.........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ferrari_Challenge

Aug 9, 2004
    San Luis Obispo
    Full Name:
    MATT
    hey thanx for the reply! i look forward to seeing them, do u know how many people are coming? i know a few people around paso that have some really nice ferrari's jusy wondering if u know any of them? r u guys just gonna meet at PR inn or r u meeting somewhere else?

well see yeah friday...

MATT

6. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I think 11 cars.

Art

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Well...... if my car makes it we are staying there, I dont know any f guys up there, but some in Santa Maria. I'm sure we will be burnt out and ready for dinner but if you are there when we show up I would like to meet you and shake your hand, then take a shower! :p Even though I have the least expensive of the cars comimg I take pride in the fact that I am a real enthusiast and do ALL the work on my car, and if it breaks down all I need to fix it is a warm garage, 10,000 metric tools, a lift and of course all the spare parts needed! ;-) I am kind of bummed the pope passed, I am not Catholic but in his heart he was a good man and they are hard to come by these days........ Every year he would bless the Ferrari race cars and drivers, he even visited Enzo when he was dying, but Enzo wasn't receiving....

8. Ferrari_Challenge

Aug 9, 2004
    San Luis Obispo
    Full Name:
    MATT
    i know of 4 people in atascadero that have ferrari's but none in santa maria, i would reall like to meet u too, is there gonna be any sort of car show or are u guys just driving up here? thats really cool that u do alll the work on ur car.. how did u learn how to do all that? when i geta ferrari----(later) i would love to learn how to maintain it and work on it. well c ya friday i hope!

MATT

9. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Matt:

You might want to check with Doug Prestine, who's organizing the drive. He's on the board here, and would probably provide you with the schedule.

Art

10. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Can someone post the sched?

vince

11. Ferrari_Challenge

Aug 9, 2004
    San Luis Obispo
    Full Name:
    MATT
    WOW, thats all i have to say....i just want to say thank you to robert for just giving me the time of day! that was THE coolest day of my life, and also u have afrikin nice car. hey do u know of anybidy else that is on ferrari chat that showed up after i left?....as i was leaving going down spring street i saw the tdf 360, the black tesarossa , red 355, yellow 360 stradale,and i thing another 360....i not sure cause i was mezmorized by the stradale!! well thank you agian and look forward to talking to u again. after today i have realized that i have got to me a ferrari...no matter what it takes!

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #12 robertgarven, Apr 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Matt,

I was good meeting you too, I feel bad i did not give you a ride but coming off the road I was pretty shaken up! I have to be honest the route was more radical than any I have driven in 12 years of Ferrari driving. We crossed at least 4 water crossings one being the Cuyama river which was at least 6+ inches deep x 50 feet. There were numerous and dangerous potholes, lots of dirt and gravel and a bad trench that bent the rim of a Challenge Stradale. One 360 hit a rock and the engine immediately lost power and had to be towed. I hit a large pine cone (my fault) which was scary and caused quite a bang but only a chunk from my lower valance. I would not have driven the route if I had known the rough nature of it. I may be a sissy but to me my Ferrari is very special and even though it is driven weekly, I try to avoid roads of a rough, dirty and unknown variety. The group was exceptional and Doug Prestine was a wonderful host, the hot springs at Paso Robles a must do, but still I have reservations on the rough road conditions. I spent all day today working on the car and there are some things which will take a long time to clean and or correct if ever. All in all I would probably go again but take a less adventurous route to enjoy the companionship of the FCA without the guilt... I yearn for a smooth road with no gravel or dirt or water. I guess on a up side my car ran flawlessly after my work on the distributors, no tickets or other tradgidies and the comaraderie was exceptional and "almost" worth the rough road conditions.

13. Ferrari_Challenge

Aug 9, 2004
    San Luis Obispo
    Full Name:
    MATT
    hey robert don't feel bad about giving me a ride,i understand that u had been driving all day! it was godd enough just to look at them! ihad a blast!hey was doug pristine there whn i was there do u know? i was just wondering if i got to meet him or not.
    well it was awsome to be able to meet all of u guys...hope to see some more of u soon......ohh yeah and make sure u come up to paso more often!!!!
    take care
    MATT

14. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Doug had driven that road, 2, 3 times before, and had made notes regarding the road conditions. What screwed up the roadway was the recent heavy rain. Even though the rain did put crap on the road, the trip was well worth it. The directions were great except for one small error, which was easily corrected, and the food, wineries, etc. were all first rate.

Most important was the group of people that we met. All were interesting, friendly, and we throughly enjoyed the mix. I'd do that ride again.

Art

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Art,

Dont get me wrong I enjoyed it too, especially interacting with the group. There are a few alternate routes just as interesting, capable of higher speed with less rough conditions. I passed my concerns on to Doug. This is my fourth trip through that area and I had no complaints before. You are right the recent rains did not help the situation. My car has no rustproofing or weather stripping and going through that section of water flooded my belly pan. I am also running a K&N filter and the old 308's have only a small covering on the cam belts whereas the newer cars have a semi inclosed cam belt design starting with the 308, so my concern for dust dirt and gravel are well founded. On cleaning my engine compartment I found chunks of gravel that could have cause a catastrophic failur at least on my vehicle. You guys are definitely tough hombres, but I am sure many on this list would have winced at some of the obstacles. It was good seeing you again and hope that north and south can do some more stuff in the future.

Rob