Hi comp pistons | FerrariChat

Hi comp pistons

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by maurice70, Apr 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Can anyone who has put in Hi comp pistons in there 308 2v tell me which ones you used, the price and source.I'm thinking of going with JE.Thanks in advance

2. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    maurice, Just did new 10.6 to 1 comp. ratio in my 246. The JE's are a really nice piece and weigh 285 grams lighter than the stock piston. Alot of that weight comes from a much shortened wrist pin and superior design on the skirt. This will make revs much faster. Generally JE will want you to provide a casting of your combustion chamber with valves installed.
    I sprayed a teflon mold release and then just mixed up some bondo body putty and worked it into the chamber and scraped it flush with the head surface. After hardening lightly tap on the stem of each valve and it pops right out. Hope this is helpful. Good building

Gary

3. arnup

arnup Rookie

Mar 31, 2005
    sydney
    Full Name:
    kevin
    wiesco 10:1 81mm under $300 complete rings/pins

4. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I gotta go with Arnup on this one.
    I've been happy with everything I have seen of theirs. Try Brian Nutter there @ 800-321-1364
    HTH
    Kermit

5. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I ditto this response. I dont have my motor together yet, but I have a set of 10.4:1 Wisecos going in. Brian Nutter is fabulous guy to deal with, knows many details and specs about the 308 motors. If you can make your own accurate measurements, He can save you a lot of money. I was at $125 a hole, rings pins and clips all included.

6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks guys,engine is being torn down at the moment but definately will go for hi comp pistons.After the liners are honed then I will know which size to go for.Unfortunately this is such a slow process.Just wish I could get my car back soon.Will keep you posted on which pistons I choose.

7. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wiseco wanted to supply 82 mm pistons, so you may want to wait until you have them in your hand and give them to the boring guy so he sizes the bore appropiately to your new pistons.

8. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I was just looking over a set of the 82's a frien of mine got the other day. Damn nice work. Plenty of valve relief to run larger cams now or a possible later. Fit and finish were the best .

I believe they were cheaper than the Venolia's I got a while back as they quote a bare piston, (sounds great on price) the how about rings? Pins? Clips. Chiking! Ding Ding. Like how about a set of rims with those tires huh? While we are at it there is a special on air.Personally I dislike sales tactics like that no matter how good the product, as it instills distrust from the start. Just a RANT......
    Kermit