Car Covers... | FerrariChat

Car Covers...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Apr 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, my almost 5 year old cover has about had it. Only one small rip, but dirtier than what the washer can take care of. I searched through a few threads. The best cover I'm seeing right now is at www.griotsgarage.com. Their Weathershield cover description is below...

A WEATHERSHIELD®, CAR COVER FABRIC FOR PROTECTION FROM ACID RAIN, DUST, DIRT AND INTENSE SUNLIGHT. AND IT'S A THIRD LESS BULKY THAN TRADITIONAL COVERS!
    After your car's paint has been rained on, the water begins to evaporate. As the droplets become smaller and smaller, the concentration of hydrochloric acid in the water intensifies to the point that it can damage your paint! (It looks like a water spot, but on closer examination, it is actually a crater eaten away by the evaporated droplet.) Sunshine after a rain accelerates this process! For this, you need the best protection you can get. This is the latest generation of car cover fabrics. Its water-shedding technology is the same breathable fabric used in waterproof hiking outerwear. There is no outside lamination or water-resistant coating to wear off. The fabric is spun from polyester and the fibers are fully encapsulated to be water-resistant. Water just sheets off. Take it off after a rain-storm, give it a quick shake, and the remaining moisture will dry off within minutes. This cover is more compact than other water-resistant covers and fits easily into any washer and dryer for cleaning. Enjoy the security of knowing you're fully protected. As with all our car covers, yours will be custom-made to fit your car like a glove. This has become my favorite cover. Please specify your choice of color.

I just got quoted the following prices...

1986 328 GTS: $340
    1995 355 Challenge: $380
    2005 Mazda RX8: $298

My cover is used 95% of the time for inside to keep dust off. I do use it outdoors a little when driving to work and I really need it to be 100% waterproof.

Any other recommendations? This brand seems like the best, but they do seem pricey.

Thanks,
    rob

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    o/t....when did you get an 8?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I told you I got an RX8! :cool:

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

you told me you were LOOKING at getting one.

Congrats.

milage gets better @ 10k and 20k

5. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've bought a couple of covers from this company. They have a large range of covers and prices. My covers were for indoor use only, but I thought the quality was good. BTW, if you need a cover for an '05 SL-500, I've got one I only used twice. I'd be happy to send it free just so I could get it out of the garage. www.calcarcover.com

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #6 rob lay, Apr 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Put 1,000 miles on it and then delivered straight to race shop for build out. Hopefully will race 2nd weekend May at Texas Motor Speedway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    I believe it is a product of Kimberely Clark and is available through most car cover manufacturers. I used a Noah car cover on a white 230SLK MB a few years back. The car sat in my driveway (outside) for 5 plus months with the cover on it, when I removed the cover the car was as clean as if I had just washed it. I live in Southeast Florida where when it rains if the car is allowed to dry in the sun the water spots the paint severly. The Noah protecetd the car 100%

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

California Car Cover - Very nice stuff, great custom fit.

http://www.calcarcover.com/

Stormweave " Stormweave's dense construction cushions against parking lot dings and is resistant to tears and punctures. Stormweave is highly water resistant and is available in grey, blue or tan. Stormweave can help protect your vehicle's interior and finish from both sun and rain. The four-layer fabric is rain resistant but breathable, great for all-weather, outside use. Snow, rain, dew, industrial pollutants, tree sap and bird droppings are kept away from your vehicle's finish. The unique four-layer fabric construction includes two center layers made of short, dense fibers that act as a moisture barrier to repel water, yet allow the passage of air."

Or, Superweave " Now available in 8 new colors. Choose from black, bright blue, sky blue, green, grey, red, taupe and yellow. You can also mix-and-match any two fabric colors to customize your cover, with the top panel in one color and the side panels in the second color. Superweave features a variety of benefits, including unsurpassed moisture and pollutant/dust protection. Additionally, it's exceptionally breathable, allowing moisture and heat to escape. Considered to be one of our top-of-the-line car cover fabrics. It is the only material that can be washed and dried in your home machines. "

[edit] They also have noah ," Designed for hot and dry climates, Noah® provides a strong barrier to dust, dirt and other pollutants. A breathable material, it is soft on the inside and will never scratch. It is great for both indoor and outdoor use. " [/edit]

As I use my cover indoors only, I use their Supremeweave. Best cover I ever bought.

Priceing for your 328 ......

Stormweave - $179
    Noah - $209
    Superweave - $299
    Supremeweave - $409

Dave M.

9. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Excellent! sharp looking car! I like the paint.

Pictures really do not do the white paint justice on the 8

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Rob, don't buy anything from Griots, they're always overpriced by a factor of 2. You can find just about everything they sell somewhere else for a lot less.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I use a Noah. I do not have a garage. My 308 sits outside 24/7. I have tried a couple of different covers and I can tell you from 8 years of real world experience the Noah is the best.

12. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just bought an indoor car cover from Dupont registry and I love it ($307 plus shipping). They also have an outdoor cover.

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice looking car Rob. I like the styling of the new ones!

14. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Rob, I don't believe Griots actually produces anything... too bad you can't find the original supplier and pay half for the exact same thing.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Give me a little time. I agree, they are WAY over priced. I'll report the findings.

They sell the Noah too, but supposedly the new WEATHERSHIELD is the hot new thing.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  17. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

FWIW- most of these retail companies "create" their own names to fabrics which are produced by Kimberly Clarke. Stormweave, Weathershield, Evolution4 are simply ways of expressing similar materials. Funny that the prices vary so much.

Also, you dont want a 100% waterproof cover as you said. That wld trap moisture and promote rust/corrosion. The best cover do repel water, yet still breath.

Rob, if your cover will see any outside use, Id recommend either the Noah or Evo4 material - it may go by other names, depending on you you order from, just specify the manufacturer name. Griots usually has some unique items, but for things you can source elsewhere, they are grossly overpriced.

Off the top of my head, some of the better retailers are California Car Cover and Big Sky. I think somebody already provided a www link for calcover above. Big Sky has been around for at least 20-25 years.

GG

18. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    FWIW, I just recently ordered a Noah cover for my '84 Mondial coupe from www.autoanything.com. Their price was $165 including free UPS ground shipping. The Mondi is moving out of the garage to make room for a '69 Jaguar XKE roadster that I just finished restoring, so I wanted a waterproof cover to protect it.

I have several California car covers for inside use, and they are excellent. I would highly recommend them. But for outside, I wanted something breathable but water repellent. So I decided to give the Noah a try. With all the good feedback on them here, I'm glad I ordered it.

19. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Everybody sells Kimberly Clarke products. Stormweave is heavy wt w/ some protection from hail & dings, etc. I’ve had lots of covers from California Car Cover & like their service. Also Beverly Hills C C, & Griots. They al have the same high tech fabrics.
    BTW: Kimberly Clarke makes the operating room gowns, masks, shoe covers, etc, I wear every day.

20. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Rob, I just emailed you some links to Noah covers for the 328. I found one for $163, w/ free shipping. I had a custom cover made by this manufacturer and it fit my car very well.

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Jim, I'd like to get these links also. Thx, Dale

22. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    http://www.covercraft.com/buy_online.htm

Click on a few of the places that sell them, I found a price differential as high as $30. For the 328, they ran between $160-$190 for the Noah fabric.

Have fun!

23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

Seems like you'd want to use the Noah when there is going to be heavy rain. :)

24. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I just did some looking and found AJ-USA.com to offer the best prices on those Noah car covers. During summer months I do not have a garage, and based on a bit of research plus Tommy's recommendation I think I will be buying a Noah before I am left with no garage!

25. ljsaia

ljsaia Rookie

Mar 25, 2003
    Houma, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Lyndon Saia
    Had a Stormweave - Calcover for 2 1/2 years for my 355 and I liked it very much. Just order a new one this week for my Challenge Stradale. The new one cost $179.00 + $13 Shipping.

Lyndon