Infrared Temp Monitor for mechanics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Infrared Temp Monitor for mechanics

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PeterS, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    I was doing some grinding yesterday and did some temp measurements to see that the temp was well over the 250deg point.

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #27 PeterS, Apr 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You Goober!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Got mine yesterday,
    Back of my hand, 98f
    Icecream bar, -1f
    Half eaten icecream bar +11f
    Coffee, 128f
    Parrot beak, 100.5f
    Coffee table 68f

I wish I would have had it yesterday when I pulled into work.
    Smoke was coming out of the left front wheelwell of my GMC when I parked it due to a seized caliper. Hot as h*ll! Stinky too.

Picked up rebuilt calipers and new pads/rotors today for 152.00!

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    That was Damn Fast delivery for UPS ground! Glad you like the unit!.....No cat butt's, please.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Funny how that happens............
    I tried the Parrot's butts but they kept flying around the house...............................

6. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    Appreciate the fast order processing & shipping, and like Spasso my delivery time was super-fast for UPS ground. Peter also responded quickly & personally to resolve a misunderstanding in the number of units ordered.

As for the unit itself, I'm *very* impressed at what you get for the price. So much so, in fact, that I'll probably order a few more to give as gifts.

While I'd agree with others that a little more range on the high end would be nice, the reality is that for most automotive applications I'm interested in--particularly bearings & tire temps--this unit is perfectly adequate.

I'm resisting the temptation to comment on some of the uses other posters have found. Suffice to say that I'm sticking to inanimate objects...

dn

7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #32 PeterS, May 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I will still offer this to FChatter's for $29.95 that includes UPS shipping and tax. My company now takes credit cards. If you would like to get your hands on one for an ASAP delivery, please drop me an email at [email protected].

Thanks, Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I used the unit to check the tempurature of my brake rotors after I put new calipers and pads on the GMC and found the R/H was at 99 f and the L/H was 428 f. Obviously I still had a problem which turned out to be a collapsed brake hose on that side keeping the caliper from retracting (the original problem).

Even if these don't have the range or accuracy of a more expensive unit it still saved me a lot of head scratching (and burned fingers) in this case.

Great for checking cooling system health too.