F430 vs Porsche Turbo S | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 vs Porsche Turbo S

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gary(SF), Apr 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Then Porsche will step it up a notch and get develop a Porsche 997 911 GT3 RS ;).

2. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Porsches evolve to slowly. Sometimes I get bored with their designs. But look at the difference of 360 and 430, BIG!! Porsche is losing its prominence by increasing their lineup, now they got a SUV, and a sedan. Its not a true sports car anymore. I know someone is goin to comment on that, but its my opinion.

3. My two dream cars right now are a seal grey 2003-2005 GT2 with Champion wheels. And a 2005 F430 Spyder Rosso Corsa/Tan with black daytona inserts and full options.

I think the Turbo S is a great car the commments about it not being comparible to Ferrari is wrong, because it is. The car is great just not as involving but still a very fine car and fast car.

4. Ferrari4Life

Ferrari4Life Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    Sedan?

5. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

They're all about evolution and not revolution. The difference between the 360 and 430 is actually significantly less then the 993 to the 996 as changed their whole engine layout to make it watercooled, new chassis, etc.. The 355 to the 360 would be a better example- but the 360 to the 430 is just buying Ferrari time to develop a whole new car.

Why change a formula that works?

6. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Porsche's are superbly engineered sports cars. They, like Ferrari, know that the only real expertise in building sports cars or exotics is from racing, and racing and racing.
    My point is that in terms of presence, Ferraris are simply eons away from any Porsche except the Carrera GT.
    I remember the first time I saw a Ferrari and a Porsche on the same showroom floor I had the immediate sensation and thought: "Next to the Ferrari, the Porsche looks like a VW." This was in the mid-90s, if I recall correctly. And while today's Porsche's have improved vastly over the previous models in terms of style and presence, they are still leagues behind the cavallini rampante.
    However, next to other cars, BMWs and MBs for example, Porsche's look very good. I especially like the 996 C4S. It has great character and a very clean, efficient line.

Forza,

Cavallini

7. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't compare these two cars but as to which one I'd prefer to drive it would on fairly whimsical factors like mood, where I'm going, or which car is on rotation that particular day.

8. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    If I could only have one car it would be the 911. Its almost perfectly balanced to perform everything I need from a car (only exception being rare occaisions when I need to carry more then 2 people on a long journey, or alot of luggage).

But since I can have more then one car I have a Lambo and BMW. Niether ticks all the boxes the Porsche does. But the boxes they do tick make them better for their seperate purposes.

Still thinking about a 997TT though :)

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

really, the porsche flat 6 config, is the winningest engine in HISTORY!!

i'll repeat...IN HISTORY!!!!!

now help me understand your racing history comment.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    these are just numbers...if you want numbers, the new ford mustang cobra gt will have 450-500hp for 39k!!! so i quess anyone who buys the 996tt s is paying for the wow factor of the p car!!! these cars are not about numbers...i have owned 3 911s, my brother has a 2002 996 tt and i have owned both a 355 and 360 spiders..i have porsches, great cars as are ferraris...but they are different...the 360 was worth every penny it cost more than the 996 tt..much more fun to drive...better steering feel, much better enigne sound,quicker handling on a much lighter car..just a much more passionate driving experience..all the 996s except the gt3 felt a little sterile to me...now the 997 and esp the 997s is abig improvement over the 996, ...the 997s is more fun to drive , better exhaust note and steering, tighter body,etc....but i agree, comparing a 996 tt to a 360 is really meaningless....btw, after the new 997tt comes out, the the996 tt prices will drop even futher...they are already dropping quickly..i personal prefer the normally aspirated cars that rev quickly and give great engine sounds, like ferraris, lambos, nsx, gt3, 997s, boxster s, etc...

11. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    I have a 2001 360 spider and a 05 GT3 and will tell you the GT3 is the faster car and feels like it. The porsche is a real hoot to drive fast, its a raw car that demands respect when you drive it fast. However, the 360 is a work of art, I love looking at that car.

vince

12. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    355....please. Old school. I'll take a turbo S anyday over a 355

13. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Pardon me,

having owned 40 porsches, i find the CGT UGLEEEEEEEEEEEEE

14. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    #39 FastLapp, Apr 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Porsche is coming out with a sedan called the panamara and a car caleld the cayman that will be priced between the 911 and Boxter. There are also rumors, of a Cayenne Pickup. The Porsche I really respect is the Carrera GT, nothin compared to the Enzo, but certainly a work of art. Check this out, a super Carrera!!

http://www.fastdrive.org/forum_viewtopic.php?26.3303

here are the pics or the panamera,due in 2008 or 2009:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    That is exactly how a feel... I would rather drive the porsche turbo and look at the Ferrari..may sounds weird but its the truth since i have both cars.

16. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Opinions are fine and everybody has them, but stating incorrect facts is something else. Some highlights of porsche racing history;
    16 outright victories at Lemans,
    Domination as F1 world champs in the mid-80's with the TAG turbo at the height of the turbo days before all the restrictions-
    http://www.formula1.com/archive/season/1984.html
    in other series they have had cars banned because of their domination.

So as far as racing history without even mentioning the early days porsche is at LEAST even. As far as street cars go, they both make great models.

IMO the best sounding, best looking is the 928gts with rmb.

17. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Now that is something I would never expect. ;)

Forza,

Cavallini

18. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    My guess is that bottom line, a porsche is faster than a comparable ferrari.
    Also, it's more reliable, has less flaws etc.

But then again, any 2 cents quartz watch is more accurate than a patek philippe (even with a tourbillon etc), but you know which one you'd like to wear.
    Still i can't really agree with people saying a Porsche is ugly etc. It's also a very nice car. a black turbo or GT2 looks cool etc. and there's still plenty to do in terms of tuning if you're bored (and these are cars you can tune, unlike a F-car unless you live in a red-light district of course)

lastly i saw the latest 997 cabrio at the dealer this saturday, it's not so cool. I never thought i could hate an interior more than the 996s, but well, i can.

19. GT3 Owner

GT3 Owner Rookie

Oct 23, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have been lurking on this board on and off, and need to jump in on this one. Porsches are meant to be driven. To me, the vast majority of Ferrari's and other exotic super cars are not driven. For you guys who drive your Ferraris I would suspect you are in the minority and extend my appologies for my generalization.

So it goes beyond on paper peformance stats.. If I had to have just one sports car it would be one to drive as opposed to look at. That to me that is the difference between Porsche and Ferrari. Nothing can compare to Porsche in this regard. For you fortunate few who can have both Bravo. That is my aspiration.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Its up to the owner to drive or not the car . So The one to drive is just the one you bought and put gas in it...